1/48 Kitty Hawk SU-35 Flanker E "Red 25"

Hi All, I built this Kitty Hawk 1/48th Su-35 recently, it was basically an experiment really, just to see how to go about replicating the heat staining (I assume that's what it is?) on the engines and tail stabilator. I have no idea what is causing the colouration on the stabilator but again assume its heat stress?? I think it turned out okayish but if anyone has any thoughts on the result I'd appreciate your hints and tips on improvements!  

51290781412_7e5497ead6_h.jpg

51290781547_8ded1144e5_h.jpg

51290754202_e0cf438df4_h.jpg

51292505355_d46a0991db_h.jpg

51292504590_5bb9b39ea1_h.jpg

Sorry about the photos they're not the best in the world but thanks for looking

Cheers

• Like 55
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, drake122 said:

Nice work on the engines paint and paint overall. Well built. The only thing missing to my eyes is the canopy tint.

yeah its got a slightly smoky tint...how would you do that? I experimented with smokes and clears but it turned out really crappy so didn't bother....got any tips?

The heat staining looks very realistic - got a nice mix of tones over the bare metal. How did you do it? Clear colours over the metallics?

For tinted canopies I've used various Tamiya acrylics thinned with their X-20a thinner as opposed to lacquer to avoid damaging the clear parts. I spray a thinned mixture from a distance at a low psi to avoid pooling. Usually I've protected the canopy with a dip in Future acrylic floor polish beforehand and this also useful after the acrylic tint to restore the clarity. I've even used this method with Tamiyas xf-6 Copper to tint my EA-6B so it works on non clear colours as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Scotsman said:

yeah its got a slightly smoky tint...how would you do that? I experimented with smokes and clears but it turned out really crappy so didn't bother....got any tips?

Sadly, I have no idea how to achieve this and so my GWH Su-35 remains in the stash for now. I should add I do not own an airbrush, but I've had some success with Tamiya smoke from a rattle can on spare canopies. Also heard of people just dipping the clear part in a mixture of smoke + X20a. Not sure how that would end up...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Scotsman said:

I have no idea what is causing the colouration on the stabilator but again assume its heat stress??

Hello,sir! Congratulation with superb result,it`s really nice looking bird! About stabilators colours, i think ,that titatanium cover was made to prevent from roket lounches.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, roks said:

About stabilators colours, i think ,that titatanium cover was made to prevent from roket lounches.

Hi Roks, thanks for your kind comment....yeah that makes perfect sense about the stabilator I was under the impression is was some sort of heat sink or something like.

Cheers

16 hours ago, theaa2000 said:

got a nice mix of tones over the bare metal. How did you do it? Clear colours over the metallics?

Hi, thanks for your kind comment.... yeah pretty much, just a shed load of layered mixed thinned clears greens and blues violet orange reds you name it; after each colour went down it had a layer clear coat over it....was trying to get a sort of holographic effect?? Used Sakura pens for the frame lines with a light smudging as they dried out. On the exhaust petals each one has a couple of tiny dots of random oil colour on it applied with the tip of an airbrush needle and then just blend them together...took a few wee piccies as was going along as a guide...

52551500901_432063bc2f_z.jpg

51124861935_25a59fa0ea.jpg

52551482191_c79c8c7673_w.jpg

52552029078_1c6619f39f.jpg

Edited by The Scotsman
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, drake122 said:

Nice work on the engines paint and paint overall. Well built. The only thing missing to my eyes is the canopy tint.

I read this as "canopy lint" my first time seeing it. I must say it is an impressive feat when I avoid having any canopy lint appear on the inside of my builds. 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IGKent said:

What main paints were used?

Basically I really only use MRP paints  for example the on the fuselage its all MRP -195 -296 -097 -298 -038 -040 -042 -049 -239 - 097 -099
On the Engines and Stabilators again all MRP. Base tones Titanium -082 white aluminium -009 dark aluminium -146 and alclad Steel. For the tones and variations its like a cast list from a hollywood epic - clear greens/blues/reds/violets/yellows - exhaust metal/burnt iron/smoke etc etc. and then a whole ton of oils from cadmium reds through to yellows and again azure blues through to greens etc etc and many thanks for a spare airbush needle which was used to apply just the right amount of oil paint. 

19 hours ago, The Scotsman said:

Basically I really only use MRP paints  for example the on the fuselage its all MRP -195 -296 -097 -298 -038 -040 -042 -049 -239 - 097 -099
On the Engines and Stabilators again all MRP. Base tones Titanium -082 white aluminium -009 dark aluminium -146 and alclad Steel. For the tones and variations its like a cast list from a hollywood epic - clear greens/blues/reds/violets/yellows - exhaust metal/burnt iron/smoke etc etc. and then a whole ton of oils from cadmium reds through to yellows and again azure blues through to greens etc etc and many thanks for a spare airbush needle which was used to apply just the right amount of oil paint. 

Thanks. Interesting....... You even applied oil paints through an airbrush.

Edited by IGKent

19 minutes ago, IGKent said:

You even applied oil paints through an airbrush.

no just using the tip of an airbrush needle - a tiny dot of paint on the end of it.....bit easier to use than just a pin as its longer so easier to hold and position.

On 08/12/2022 at 17:48, The Scotsman said:

Hi All, I built this Kitty Hawk 1/48th Su-35 recently, it was basically an experiment really, just to see how to go about replicating the heat staining (I assume that's what it is?) on the engines and tail stabilator. I have no idea what is causing the colouration on the stabilator but again assume its heat stress?? I think it turned out okayish but if anyone has any thoughts on the result I'd appreciate your hints and tips on improvements!  

You think it turned out okayish? You sir, are to modest.... great build !

• Like 1