'Thunderbirds Are Go!' Aoshima/AiP 1/350

Ahoy once more. Finally posting up shots of this diorama I put together...flipping heck, it was back in April 😮. Anyway, got a request from my aunt about whether any Thunderbird 2 models existed, as it was my uncle's favourite. By chance I'd spotted the reboxed Aoshima offerings around October '21, and ended up building the Mole for my brother (don't think I've actually posted images of that one yet, may have to get hold of it for some pics), so I knew one was around. Snapped it up, and also got a display case for it. This was my first real attempt at putting an aircraft model in flight, and I'd later replicate the technique for my MiG-29 display (with the same style of case). Took a considerable bit of doing and a lot of trial and error to get it to sit where and how I wanted. Since its about to be wrapped up soon as a Christmas present, decided to get pictures before it leaves my possession. 

Overall, not a bad build. Needed a bit of modification for flight mode, notably adding in scratchbuilt landing feet pads to more resemble the original version. If memory serves I used all the decals except for those on the engine cowlings. Paint scheme was a combo mix of Tamiya Yellow and Flat Green. Minor weathering effects applied, with just a bit of a panel line wash and a small amount of oil fading at the top of the pod. The base took a lot more tinkering to get looking right. Initially brush-painted every individual field in, then went over with an airbrush to try tidying things. Adding the trees, the teeny tiny little vehicles (there's a FAB1 down there too), and the little town, as well as the mast, to give the sense TB2 is high above. The kit comes with a TB4 and excavator. Obviously they wouldn't fit into the planned scene, so I came up with making them their own mini scenes.

Was something different from what I was used to, and helped me try some new things :)

On with the pictures. 

thun_by_moab23_dfjsrvy-fullview.jpg?toke

thun2_by_moab23_dfjsrxp-fullview.jpg?tok

thun3_by_moab23_dfjsryr-fullview.jpg?tok

thun5_by_moab23_dfjss04-fullview.jpg?tok

thun6_by_moab23_dfjss10-fullview.jpg?tok

thun7_by_moab23_dfjss25-fullview.jpg?tok

thun8_by_moab23_dfjss42-fullview.jpg?tok

thun9_by_moab23_dfjss52-fullview.jpg?tok

thun10_by_moab23_dfjss63-fullview.jpg?to

thun11_by_moab23_dfjss7b-fullview.jpg?to

thun12_by_moab23_dfjssc9-fullview.jpg?to

thun13_by_moab23_dfjssda-fullview.jpg?to

Thank you as always for looking :)

Gaz

• Like 44
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Fabulous stuff. Well done. Can I have one for Crimbo too? 😃

3 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

That's superb -use of the mast for perspective is a clever idea! Nice one :)

Haha, thanks, Pete. Thanks, TEXANTOMCAT 😇

Gaz

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Simply F.A.B.! I love the patchwork of fields and the addition of FAB1 is a nice touch :like:

4 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Fantastic! I love the TB2 base 

Thanks, Bobby. Thanks, Hunter 😇

Gaz

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!!! Great job the diorama (fantastic idea), but your Thunderbird 2 is just perfect!  I've  loved the Thunderbirds my whole life (I am 64, now), and TB2 was my absolute favorite out of all of themI am very impressed, sir.  Also, thanks for the pictures of the other TBs you did!  

Edited by Curt B
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Curt B said:

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!!! Great job the diorama (fantastic idea), but your Thunderbird 2 is just perfect!  I've  loved the Thunderbirds my whole life (I am 64, now), and TB2 was my absolute favorite out of all of themI am very impressed, sir.  Also, thanks for the pictures of the other TBs you did!  

Thank you very much, Curt 😇

Gaz

20 hours ago, saturnapollo said:

Brilliant. Reminds me of the set in Captain Scarlet from the top of London Car vue.

Keith

Hah, that episode was a little bit of inspiration for the perspective of the countryside view :D

Thanks, Keith

Gaz

Edited by GazB

• 3 weeks later...

I could see what you were trying to achieve, but it seemed a little off in the first picture. But then going through the others, yes, it definitely works much better from some angles then others. The top down view especially and from behind with the ground out of focus

Nice!

With a wider base, I could see this working well on the "Thunderbirds the Comic" from 1991/92. The run with the photographed models from Martin Bower

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Yg Models said:

nice filed base.

this remains me about a RTS game: Wargame: European Escalation 😊

Hehe, thanks Yg ^-^. It made me think of the old World in Conflict game at times :P

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 8:26 AM, Kallisti said:

What a great way to display TB2, absolutely mind-blowing!

On 1/3/2023 at 12:16 PM, Aku said:

I could see what you were trying to achieve, but it seemed a little off in the first picture. But then going through the others, yes, it definitely works much better from some angles then others. The top down view especially and from behind with the ground out of focus

Nice!

With a wider base, I could see this working well on the "Thunderbirds the Comic" from 1991/92. The run with the photographed models from Martin Bower

Thanks, Kallisti, thanks, Aku :)

Gaz