Fujimi 1/72 Aichi ‘Val’

Hi all,

My early kits upon returning to the hobby were dog rough. This is the last of my ‘semi acceptable’ finished kits that I’ve got photos of, so this brings me up to date, from now on the posts will be glacial.

This is a Fujimi 1/72 Aichi Val. I really like some of the old Fujimi kits. For sure they don’t have much cockpit detail, but they seem to go together really well, and I like the fact they’re a tiny bit leftfield.

The decals were shot - this was an old

kit I bought from an internet auction site. I didn’t find out how bad until I tried them, even despite using Microscale liquid decal film. As such I used Dead Designs masks for the Hinomaru and angle reference lines on the tailplane (although the masks for these were a little short, I think they should be the full width of the tailplane) The identification codes on the fin were just about good enough to use.

Errors: I lost one of the exhausts to the carpet monster, so elected not to fit the other one, and painted the depression where they should affix. I snapped the centre bomb rack - this was extremely brittle and fiddly. I also managed to snap the telescopic sight - so that’s half the length it should be!

Despite those sizeable errors, I learned a lot about painting on this, and really enjoyed the build. I found the results from painting markings rather than decals particularly good.

Thank you.

29B7AC9F-F602-4D44-94F8-DCA108A4D77A

6A95BA97-9060-473C-B2BB-0E00B507D0C1

69DFAC93-B35D-4E56-9581-6A6EA1E6A04D

Edited by Volant
  • Like 28

Oh, and it was my first time using chipping fluid. I tried to keep it in fairly new condition, aiming for an early war/pearl harbour era build rather than a battered late war example.

I did, however, want to chip the wing walk way paint, to try the technique more than anything else. Worked well, except the masking tape pulled off a bit more than I’d have liked.

Edited by Volant
  • Like 1

I too, like Fujimi kits.  Your trials with this one are typical of what I go through with building.  You would think after all the years of building, when I drop an errant part on the floor, I would just stand up from my modeling chair.  What usually happens is I immediately roll back the chair, hear the sickening crunch of whatever part I dropped being ground into little pieces and then make all sorts of not suitable for work/family comments.  There has never been a build where at least one part has not dropped on the floor (tile) and either been lost forever, found only after at least an hour long search, or crunched beyond recognition.  

In spite of your problems with decals not working, parts breaking and parts missing, you have made a very nice Val.  Thanks for sharing

Thank you.

I also really like the Val. When I was a child my grandfather gave me a large hard book book, that I still have, Aircraft of World War Two by Bill Gunston.

I used to read that book cover to cover, knew each and every aircraft, and would also try and draw various different aircraft. 

The Val was the first aircraft in the book,  and so with the exception of one or two more obvious examples, used to pore over it the most.

Between that and the elliptical wing, I’m a fan.

I’m surprised there aren’t more kits available, and it isn’t more widely modelled, given it’s Pearl Harbour prominence.

Edited by Volant

• 3 weeks later...

You have made a very nice job of the Fujimi kit. Neat canopy framing, interesting variation in the paint finish, without being overdone, and the sprayed on markings are very effective. I too have a soft spot for the Aichi Val ever since building the Airfix one in the 1970s. Great job!

44 minutes ago, spruecutter said:

You have made a very nice job of the Fujimi kit. Neat canopy framing, interesting variation in the paint finish, without being overdone, and the sprayed on markings are very effective. I too have a soft spot for the Aichi Val ever since building the Airfix one in the 1970s. Great job!

Thank you spruecutter.

As a relative newbie it’s a bit intimidating posting pictures of a model, particularly one with some significant errors, so it’s much appreciated when people comment. Feedback both positive and negative will hopefully help the builds get better!

• Like 1

On 08/12/2022 at 11:01, Volant said:

Hi all,

My early kits upon returning to the hobby were dog rough. This is the last of my ‘semi acceptable’ finished kits that I’ve got photos of, so this brings me up to date, from now on the posts will be glacial.

This is a Fujimi 1/72 Aichi Val. I really like some of the old Fujimi kits. For sure they don’t have much cockpit detail, but they seem to go together really well, and I like the fact they’re a tiny bit leftfield.

The decals were shot - this was an old

kit I bought from an internet auction site. I didn’t find out how bad until I tried them, even despite using Microscale liquid decal film. As such I used Dead Designs masks for the Hinomaru and angle reference lines on the tailplane (although the masks for these were a little short, I think they should be the full width of the tailplane) The identification codes on the fin were just about good enough to use.

Errors: I lost one of the exhausts to the carpet monster, so elected not to fit the other one, and painted the depression where they should affix. I snapped the centre bomb rack - this was extremely brittle and fiddly. I also managed to snap the telescopic sight - so that’s half the length it should be!

Despite those sizeable errors, I learned a lot about painting on this, and really enjoyed the build. I found the results from painting markings rather than decals particularly good.

Thank you.

29B7AC9F-F602-4D44-94F8-DCA108A4D77A

6A95BA97-9060-473C-B2BB-0E00B507D0C1

69DFAC93-B35D-4E56-9581-6A6EA1E6A04D

Well done.

Alain

Nice job on the D3A, I can only assume that it is much better engineered than the old Airfix offering. I recently did another D3A (in 1/48) and I can say that your build is very much an accurate example. Excellent work and well done.

Sincerely, Hurricaneflyer

Thank you.

I thought the kit was very well engineered, and I liked it. Fairly basic interior, although you’ll never see too much through that canopy.

My only complaint - the plastic was hard and brittle - hence the breakages, although I wonder if this is because I built

6 hours ago, Hurricaneflyer said:

Nice job on the D3A, I can only assume that it is much better engineered than the old Airfix offering. I recently did another D3A (in 1/48) and I can say that your build is very much an accurate example. Excellent work and well done.

such an old kit, it was over 35 years old.

I have built the Airfix, however that was in the late 80s/early 90s when I was a child, so I can’t remember much about it, and I doubt I’d have cared!

Which Val did you build? Hasegawa?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Volant said:

Which Val did you build? Hasegawa?

Yes, it was the Hasegawa kit done in a very fictional scheme, you can take a look at it here if you wish...

The reason I mentioned the Airfix offering is that it is one of the few kits from my early days of modelling that A: Turned out well, and B: Is still intact in my cabinet. As such, I am quite fond of it.