Poland goes shopping...

Slater

6 minutes ago, ivan-o said:

Going to add to the logistic problems though! Two different types of MBT with M1 and K2 from Korea

If these are M1A1, and the K2 isn't going to be coming off the line until 2026, my guess is they're a stop-gap to tide them over.  With a thousand K2s on order they aren't likely to feel the need to keep just over a hundred of anything else long-term.  (But come back in four years and we'll see how things have changed ... )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is in addition to the 250 M1A2s already approved and looks like a list of what can be provided off the shelf in short order.  Some of the kit is old-spec and the quantities are odd.  M1A1 is early 1990s vintage and lacks lethality and survivability compared to the A2.

The M1147 AMP ammunition is, however, the very latest available and has only just been cleared for service in the past couple of months.  It can function as HE with impact, delay or airburst with frag.  It was supposed to replace HEAT but the one thing you don't see it doing on any of the videos available, even from Northrop Grumman, is penetrating armour test rigs or destroying an AFV.  Truck, yes.  Concrete, yes.  Bunker, yes.  AFV, no.  Which means either the US is playing that one close and keeping it secret, which is entirely possible, or they will be relying on APDS for anti-armour, which seems unlikely.  M1s will only carry AMP and APDS.  Tanks will need to have the ammunition interface system installed and the gun breech modified in order to work with the M1147s fusing  contact ring.  I believe it will be part of SEPv4 on M1A2s but I'm open to correction.

• Like 1