A Phestive-looking Phantom - 302 Sqn JASDF final year Phantom retirement special scheme

I phigured a phestive looking Phantom would be a phine way to phinish off the year!

With only a month to go I’ll be pushing it to finish by the GB deadline, especially as I’m still working on my Meteor. But then I have time off over Christmas and new year so I’ll give it a go.

I’ll be joining @Chrisj2003 in building a Fine Molds F-4EJ Kai.

Box of bits

Box of bits

Which I’d actually started in the Turning Japanese GB, but barely got beyond painting some cockpit bits before I got waylaid by the flu and COVID (mild) and work and life and put it aside, so it’s well within the 25% limit.

Started

My Phantom will be finished in Double Excellent Model’s beautiful decal set for F-4EJ Kai 77-8399 in 302 Sqn’s black 2019 retirement scheme.

52389118582_9b9bfe9934_b.jpg

These are beautiful looking decals, and a pretty funky looking special scheme.

Paint guide

I reckon in its red and black and gold colours it has a bit of a festive feel about it, so an appropriate build for the festive season.

Should be phun!

Gerard

• Like 13

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is a magic scheme

It is! I also have the Hasegawa F-4EJ Kai boxing with the the white 302 Sqn retirement scheme too. I did contemplate a double build at one stage but that might have been just a little optimistic given the time remaining!

On 08/12/2022 at 04:47, Chrisj2003 said:

Got to live a DXM special scheme

They really are beautiful decals - can’t wait to apply them!

On 08/12/2022 at 07:31, Col. said:

Nice subject choice Gerard with a great kit and decals to realise it :speak_cool:

Thanks for the welcome Col, looking forward to taking part in another of your GBs!

On 08/12/2022 at 11:15, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Who doesn't love the Japanese Phantom’s

For sure! Choosing which one to build wasn’t easy!

• Like 2

Just now, Wings unlevel said:

For sure! Choosing which one to build wasn’t easy!

I figure I need about 20 Phantoms alone just for JASDF schemes. I really like their aggressors but some of their anniversary and Final show schemes are tops as well. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress, phinally!

I was ambitious taking this on the in the time available, but I’m glad I did. Now that I’ve had the time to I’ve enjoyed tinkering away on this in the last few days, despite playing with PE, as it’s a beautifully engineered kit.

Progress

I have next week off so I should be able to make some good progress from here, I think once the cockpit is finished it will come together really quickly, and I can’t see it needing much in the way of filler/cleaning up. 

Ultimately I’ll probably miss the GB deadline, but I’ll give it a shake, and will have fun trying!

Gerard

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Col. said:

So long as you're enjoying the project the deadline is a secondary consideration Gerard. Besides, @Enzo the Magnificent did talk of extending this GB by several months so there may be time yet :whistle:

Well the kit does practically build itself, so “several months” should be ample! 

• Haha 2

I finished dressing the cockpits with the Eduard etch yesterday . Fiddly as always and the inevitable happened and one of the smaller pieces (a screen for the backseater’s centre pedestal) flicked out of my tweezers, never to be seen again, so I used a kit decal as a replacement, but I think it has come up pretty well. I didn’t bother with a wash figuring that the JASDF would have kept this jet close to immaculate.

Cockpit

Today, with the cockpits finished and a lot of the major component assembly already done, the airframe came together fairly quickly.

Assembled

Fit, for me, was near but not quite perfect, there are some tiny misalignments at some of the joins, especially the forward and main fuselage join. Looks ok in this photo but is a bit more pronounced in the flesh. I’ve read so many great things about this kit so I’m sure that was more my fault than the kit’s.

Oh, and I managed to knock over my bottle of Tamiya extra thin today! Got some on the left side of the nose but no great damage done, hopefully.

So a rewarding and frustrating day today, all at the same time!

• Like 8

Looking good. In my experience the worst joint is the heat shield to the rear, theres no way you can paint that separately and attach after (in case you were thinking of following the instructions on that)

Chris

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

In my experience the worst joint is the heat shield to the rear, theres no way you can paint that separately and attach after

Thanks for the heads up Chris, I’ll give that some thought. It does seem to dry fit ok for me but glueing prepainted parts has always been fraught for me. 🤔

Seats are done.

Progress

Which means I can finish the cockpits.

Cockpit

I’m pretty happy. From a distance it looks decent, if lacking finesse compared to what others achieve - fine detail work for me is very much a skill in progress!

I didn’t use all the PE, I don’t have the skills or dexterity for all the tiny harness pieces, but I think viewed from a safe distance it looks something like what it should!

Canopy masking and then painting next. If I can start decaling during the week I probably won’t make the deadline but I’ll get close…

Gerard

• Like 7

With the seats installed I masked and fitted the canopy. And then I dry0fitted the tai, for no other reason than to appreciate that iconic shape...

Masked

An iconic shape about to get fully dressed in black...

Jet black

I didn't use primer, just slowly built up thin layers of SMS black, thinned and at low-ish pressure. The end result is very difficult to photograph(!) but I think I have a nice consistent and smooth finish, with all the kit's beautiful detail showing through nicely. I think I'll paint the blue leading edges to the wing and horizontal tails, rather than using the decals, so that, and painting the hot-end, is next.

Hopefully I can apply the decals this weekend, that's when the fun will really begin!

Gerard

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Col. said:

Everything is looking good and smooth

Thanks Col, that’s not the best photo in the end but I’m pretty happy with how neat it is.

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

They always look sinister in all black. 

They do! Time to add some colour so it doesn’t look so intent on evil!

• Like 2