Large - really large - Roof Stars on British Lorries

Kingsman

This image came up on Facebook.  You don't often see the tops of lorries.  Someone has taken the instruction to make the stars as large as possible very literally!  I wonder how common this actually was?  Supposedly ships setting out for D Day here.

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't believe it's that common. From what I've read there were quite strict instructions on painting the canvas of soft skins, as the paint could degrade the fabric and effect it's waterproof properties. Photo's of column's of lorries in the Normandy campaign taken from the air, do not show similar markings and until the big breakout from the Normandy area camouflage from the air was taken very seriously. I would hesitate a guess that someone has misinterpreted the instructions to paint the markings in the usual position on the cab roof's. Wouldn't be the first time 😁. I'm sure more knowledgeable members will be along soon.

Bob

The nearest one on the left has a cab roof star as usual.  Unfortunately you can't see if the others have cab roof stars as well as those on the tilt.  Perhaps the large tilt stars were intended to be temporary.  It rapidly became clear that the Luftwaffe was not a threat.  It is said that German soldiers coined the saying that "if you see a dark plane it is British, if you see a shiny plane it is American, if you see no plane it is the Luftwaffe".

• Like 4

My Dad served in Normandy, Sexton SPGs, and they had all the stars etc in the usual positions. At some point after the battle for Caen, they were puled out of the line for R&R. They were then given the clear instruction to repaint all the stars as big as possible, especially on horizontal surfaces. They did this as well as they could and were promptly bombed by a formation of 6 B26s (I believe) before the paint had dried. After much swearing and screaming down radio channels, the new large stars were painted out and they returned to the smaller ones with instructions to henceforth fire upon any aircraft in the vicinity.

Regards

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

The order specified that the star on upturned surfaces should be as large as possible on a permanent surface, i.e. cab, bonnet or roof.  However on vehicles with COE and canvas tilt then it by default had to be on the canvas tilt.  On carriers or similar vehicles then it should on a dark coloured disc and displayed so that it is visible from above.   This was mandatory and retained when later in the campaign it became less common or not marked on side surfaces, mostly on AFVs.  The usual depiction had the point forward on top and point upward on vertical surfaces, the same as set out in US instructions.  But the Canadian order and diagram I have shows the side surface star point forward.  

• Thanks 2