RAAF F/A-18 HUG differences

Jabba

I am going to start building a RAAF F/A-18 that operated in OP Falconer (Aussie OIF) in 1/72nd soon. All of the aircarft that operated out there had had the HUG upgade done to them. I will be using the Academy kit which has the slanted aerials, plus the birdslicer bits in front of the windscreen. I would like to know if there were any other mods done to the external fuselage that would show up in the scale that I am doing the model in. I know that Air-Graphics do an update set, but if I can do the mods myself it would be easier for me. Thanks in advance for any information.

G'day Jabba,

Note that RAAF Hornets underwent two HUGs, Op Falconer was around HUG1.0.

PM sent but basically you need the swept type upper and lower VHF/UHF antennas, IFF array in front of the windscreen and the 'dummy' launch bar plus the early style small radome GPS antenna.

RAAF Hornets were  A/B models that were essentially upgraded to C/D standard. They only had the single pair of forward pair of ECM blisters (a single antenna immediately behind the radome) rather than the double pair that were a feature of the C/D and laced the pair located on the dorsal spine. The LEX fences were added very early on and all jets had these  by Op Falconer. One other feature that was present in conjunction with the LEX fences were the three fin reinforcing ribs at the base of each fin (on the inner side of each). These ribs were not present of the C/D models as the fin structure was beefed up to dispense with the requirement for the external ribs but they retained the LEX fences.  USN/USMC Hornets used different seats, the differences were slight and mainly concerned the upper hardness assembly, I doubt this will be noticeable by anyone in 1/72 but if you want to be absolutely correct they used the SJU-9 seats  (SJU-10 and SJU-9 on the twin seat vice the SJU-5. 

This mod is pretty simply, simply cut-off the T piece at the end of the moulded on launch bar and file flat.

The various fin doubler panels were fitted on a case by case basis and this was post OP Falconer anyway. 

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

@Pappy Thanks for all the info, including the stuff in the PM. From what you have give me the Academy kit that I will be using has all the bits and bobs that I require. I just have to wait on the markings that are winging their way from Italy.

NOTE - Edited to correct bad info in the original post

One last thing, RAAF Hornets were unique in that they were wired to use the AIM-132 ASRAAM .later in their service life

They used the standard AIM-9L /AIM-7 combination initially but by Falconer they were employing the AIM-120 in lieu of the AIM-7 which had been phased out. The kit includes AIM-9Ls and AIM-7s but you will need to get some aftermarket AIM-120s if you don't have them in the spares box. 

Aircrew wore desert coloured flightsuits and boots with standard green speed jeans over the top,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 2

Thanks @Pappyfor the information. Currently planning 3 RAAF jets for future builds. F-111C, F-18 Hornet, and a S-2 Tracker. This Hornet information is priceless but have not decided which kit to use.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

If you struggle to locate SJU-9 seats (and you probably will...), pretty much any Martin Baker Mk.10 (other than the Tornado) version will suffice in 1/72. The visual difference between the US SJU-5 and the SJU-9 (and 10) is the 'export' harness. This harness features the full harness with quick release fitting visually the same as that on UK seats, rather than the USN use of Koch fittings that clip to the pilot's shoulders and waist. The only other thing to match up is to get a seat with the appropriate canopy breaker arrangement on the head box as these vary between aircraft types.

On 12/7/2022 at 5:27 AM, Jabba said:

I am going to start building a RAAF F/A-18 that operated in OP Falconer (Aussie OIF) in 1/72nd soon. All of the aircarft that operated out there had had the HUG upgade done to them. I will be using the Academy kit which has the slanted aerials, plus the birdslicer bits in front of the windscreen. I would like to know if there were any other mods done to the external fuselage that would show up in the scale that I am doing the model in. I know that Air-Graphics do an update set, but if I can do the mods myself it would be easier for me. Thanks in advance for any information.

I have a set of Afterburner's decals for RAAF Op Falconer Hornets. Whilst they're 1/48, the set does have some useful info WRT load-outs, etc. I'll dig it out when I get home & post the best bits here as a ref

3 hours ago, 2DeeBee0 said:

I have a set of Afterburner's decals for RAAF Op Falconer Hornets. Whilst they're 1/48, the set does have some useful info WRT load-outs, etc. I'll dig it out when I get home & post the best bits here as a ref

Thanks I also have these and this is where I was getting some of my info from. I was just getting a little confused with some update set that is being offered by an aftermarket company and if this was needed for what I wanted to build.

• Like 1