Hello from Saint-Petersburg.

Memphis

Hello everyone from St. Petersburg. It's not in Florida. It is in Russia. My name is Denis. My favorite topics in modeling are the Indochinese Wars and the Panzerwaffe. I'm on my way to learning English, so I'm using google translate, but I'll be happy to chat. If communication is not sanctioned. 😉

I have worked for ship and aircraft engine companies.

Update.

My preferably scales:
aviation - 1/72 (rarely things other scale);
vehicle - only 1/35;
autos - 1/24 and F1 - 1/20.
fleet - 1/350. 

Edited by Memphis
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Memphis said:

I'm on my way to learning English, so I'm using google translate, but I'll be happy to chat. If communication is not sanctioned. 😉

Gidday (a form of Australian "hello") Denis, welcome aboard. Within the bounds of common courtesy (no offensive language, sensitive topics etc) I think you are free to chat away. As you have worked for ship engine companies are you likely to make a model ship?      Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Welcome! The Indochina wars are a fascinating and tragic subject--very diverse for modeling.  Looking forward to seeing how your F-4C develops!  I like your Robin Olds picture, too.  I had the opportunity to hear him give a talk in 1995, and he was very critical of U.S. policy in the Vietnam war--basically that the U.S. should have stayed out.  President Johnson invited him to the White House in '67 and asked him for his thoughts on what to do next in Vietnam.  "Win this God-d*** war" was Olds' reply.  Olds was stunned that a President should go to a Brigadier general for policy advice, and it spoke volumes about the general disarray upstairs.

• Like 2

Thank you, guys. I am glad to communicate with you. My builds are slow (I spend a lot of time with my family), but I think they will be interesting for you.

6 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

As you have worked for ship engine companies are you likely to make a model ship?

My childhood dream was to participate in the construction of aircraft. And on ships, I deal with equipment (and engines too). I was on a tour on the largest submarine (Typhoon class), was 250 meters underwater on a real military boat. These are interesting experiences, but no, I love aircrafts.

11 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Welcome! The Indochina wars are a fascinating and tragic subject--very diverse for modeling.  Looking forward to seeing how your F-4C develops!  I like your Robin Olds picture, too.  I had the opportunity to hear him give a talk in 1995, and he was very critical of U.S. policy in the Vietnam war--basically that the U.S. should have stayed out.  President Johnson invited him to the White House in '67 and asked him for his thoughts on what to do next in Vietnam.  "Win this God-d*** war" was Olds' reply.  Olds was stunned that a President should go to a Brigadier general for policy advice, and it spoke volumes about the general disarray upstairs.

Thank you. Yes, I have an idea to build all types of aircraft that the colonel flew: P-51, P-38, P-80, F-4C. I have kits: F-4B/C/D/E, RF-4B/C Hasegawa, Fujimi, Italeri, Fine Molds (all 1/72). 

The Indochinese wars are a very interesting period in which many types of aircraft, tanks, and ships were used.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Memphis said:

Yes, I have an idea to build all types of aircraft that the colonel flew: P-51, P-38, P-80, F-4C

The 1996 U.S. IPMS Nationals has an entire decal set devoted to Olds' SCAT aircraft, from the P-38 and P-51 to the F-4.  You might see if one of your model friends in St. Petersburg or Moscow has it.  I didn't know Olds flew the P-80, but it definitely was not in Korea, as he sat out for that war.

25 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

The 1996 U.S. IPMS Nationals has an entire decal set devoted to Olds' SCAT aircraft, from the P-38 and P-51 to the F-4.  You might see if one of your model friends in St. Petersburg or Moscow has it.  I didn't know Olds flew the P-80, but it definitely was not in Korea, as he sat out for that war.

Few years ago I bought decals for P-51 (Tamiya 1/72) and P-38 (Academy 1/72). Also I have Hasegawa's kit 00918 F-4C/D with decal 8th TFW, 497th TFS (Operation Bolo). I haven't information about Korean War's period of Olds life, but there's this photo:

https://static.thisdayinaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/tdia//2017/07/P-80-Robin-Olds-600.jpg

Edited by Memphis

Welcolme Denis! I live in south west uk, in Dorset, very close to the sea, and within earshot of the Bovington Tank ranges! I belong to several local clubs, including the Tank Museum modellers, but I tend to build mostly aircraft so far, from the Cold War era, inc the Vietnam era. I'm also like maritime subjects from those eras, and have a very keen interest on Soviet era warships, like Kotlin, Kryupny, Kannin and Kashin class. 

My latest project is a series of training gliders from the post WWII era.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work perhaps?

Terry

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Welcolme Denis! I live in south west uk, in Dorset, very close to the sea, and within earshot of the Bovington Tank ranges! I belong to several local clubs, including the Tank Museum modellers, but I tend to build mostly aircraft so far, from the Cold War era, inc the Vietnam era. I'm also like maritime subjects from those eras, and have a very keen interest on Soviet era warships, like Kotlin, Kryupny, Kannin and Kashin class. 

My latest project is a series of training gliders from the post WWII era.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work perhaps?

Terry

Oh, no. My work now is comercial ships with a displacement of 5000-8000 tons. But a few years ago, I participated in a systems check on a Borei-class submarine. Then I managed to visit the Typhoon, which had already been decommissioned and was waiting for disassembly (missiles and launch systems were removed).

• Like 1

Welcome to the site! I also have a great interest in the Vietnam War and have quite a collection of unbuilt and semi-built kits. I just need to finish a few of them! If you have any built or are working on, it would be great to see them on the site.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Welcome to the site Dennis. I've never mer someone who actually served on a Typhoon class sub before.

My main interest is cold war jets of both NATO and Warsaw pact. I'm currently  building a Tupelov TU128 among others . 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 2:03 PM, Memphis said:

Hello everyone from St. Petersburg. It's not in Florida. It is in Russia. My name is Denis. My favorite topics in modeling are the Indochinese Wars and the Panzerwaffe. I'm on my way to learning English, so I'm using google translate, but I'll be happy to chat. If communication is not sanctioned. 😉

I have worked for ship and aircraft engine companies.

Welcome. 

St. Petersburg is a beautiful city. I look forward to going back. I took this photo of a diorama of the storming of the Winter Palace during the 1917 revolution.  It's onboard the cruiser 'Aurora'. You might have seen it.

52549323524_fc822f73c4_h.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

No he was going to fly it in the Cleveland races in the later 1940’s. I believe it was Scat “X”. 

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/14-july-1922/

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Thank you, again. 

13 hours ago, cherisy said:

I've never mer someone who actually served on a Typhoon class sub before.

No, I didn't serve on a Typhoon-class submarine. They showed me how it looks inside. It was just a walk.

I have several started kits. Here is an F6F-5 Eduard 1/72 (French Indochina) that I started a few years ago.

20220725-225809.jpg

20220725-225838.jpg

20220725-225906.jpg

20220725-225436.jpg

12185465-173325489677535-607155375700096

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...