Tamiya's Churchill Mk.VII in 1/35 scale

Einar

Although being primarily a vintage airliner and car modeller I have once in a while got over the “barbed wire” to the military modelling domain.

This time around I’m putting a very old Churchill Mark.VII by Tamiya on the site. The year 1977 was molded on the inside of the bottom plate and there were even places for the batteries and an engine. The kit’s box art showed a French farmer with a cart giving a bottle of wine to two crew men of the tank.

I started building the Churchill some twenty years ago. Despite its age, the kit was in my opinion very good and detailed and there were no issues with the fit of the parts. I had additionally ordered Friul's tracks and Eduard's photoetches from the aftermarket. I painted the model with Xtracolor's Khaki Drab and used MIG's pastels and burnt sienna oil paint for weathering. As a source of reference for the painting and details I also used the excellent "Modelling the Churchill Tank" booklet by Osprey.

My model depicts the Churchill Mk.VII of the 34 tank Brigade’ during the Normandy landings. The Churchill was one of Britain's most important tanks and the Mk.VII is the most advanced version of them with a 75 mm cannon and thick armour. In total, more than 6,500 Churchill tanks were manufactured..

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Einar
  • Like 31

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Einar,

A great result with a whole oldie, I really like its worn look. I hope mine turns out at least as good as yours....

Cheers.

Francis.👍

Thanks Francis!

Einar

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IanC said:

Very good. I like the dusty, understated weathering. 

Thank you Ian!

Einar 

Edited by Einar

6 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Considering it's age, you've done a great job on it. The paint job is perfect. Nice work.

John.

Thanks John!

Einar 

1 minute ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Looks great! Got this one in my stash and will use your model as a refference.

Good job!!!

Thanks Maddoxx77!

Einar

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian said:

Very nice straightforward build - planning on doing this kit m'self in the very near future. Hope it turns-out as good as this one.

Cheers from NZ.

Thanks Ian..and greetings from a very snowy and wintery Helsinki❄❄

Einar 

• 2 weeks later...