Another Hellenic Phantom in 1/48

Just finished after several years on and off. I wanted to finish an example of the F4 still in service ( back in 2020) and when I discovered the Hellenic Air Force still flew these I was hooked!  The Aegean ghost scheme is beautiful when clean.  I think maybe Turkey, South Korea and Iran still fly the F4 but their can't be too many countries left as of this post still flying this iconic masterpiece. 

So the base kit is an old mid 1980's Hasegawa release and still a great base to use.  I had to scratch build the many antennas that you see on the Greek F4E AUP's to get the jet as correct as possible including the glass cockpit.  Weathering was kept to a minimum with concentration being correctly filled gaps, correct angles, correct color scheme and a loadout that represents what you see in real life, basically nothing on these.

Main regret is the decals. I started adding the crazy amount of stenciling and warnings that are common on the F4 and realized they were just too pronounced. The real jet has them but they are barely.  Colors used were;

Tamiya AS-16 Light Gray ( lightest gray and a Rattle can)

Vallejo Flanker Blue 

Mission Models FS 36375 Light Ghost gray for the Nose only

Mission Models FS 36320 Dark Ghost Gray

The camera ( Samsung Galaxy S21) and light i used seems to have changed the color a little

Hope you all like and hope this represents a good start here with Britt Modeller!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Charles68
add info
  • Like 44
  • Thanks 2

Really nice build.  I love the Phantom and really would like to add a Greek E in this scheme to my collection.  Yours is an inspiration for sure.

More info...please.

What decals were used, what did you do to modify the instrument panels?

15 hours ago, Mark V said:

Really nice build.  I love the Phantom and really would like to add a Greek E in this scheme to my collection.  Yours is an inspiration for sure.

More info...please.

What decals were used, what did you do to modify the instrument panels?

Mark, I used two decal sheets, one from Pro Cal and one from DXM. The Procal sheet had only squadron markings for either the 338 or 339 squadrons. The carrier film was VERY thick but worked. The sheet from DXM was fantastic! It consisted of two sheets for either Greek F4e's or Iranian Phantoms ( both E's and RF4) and had both gray and black stenciling, warnings, walkway borders etc.. The procal had very good images showing the Greek AUP add's and differences,  a must for someone wantoing to replicate an authentic AUP build. 

I got lucky on the cockpits. I had a 1/48 Hobby Boss Sukhoi Su 27 single seater that had parts for both single and tandem pilots so the rear cockpit panel was not used. It  had three tiny displays that i was able to cut away and fabricate into the F4 pilot and WSO panels. 

Thank you again for the kind words and good luck on your Greek build. hope this helps. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Thanks for the info.  I will start the search for the decals...

Oh, Welcome to Britmodeller.  Great first posts.  Please do more when you get them done, or works in progress are fun to follow too. 😉

Again, thanks for the kind words and warm welcome. Just wanted to add I obviously deviated from the recommended FS colors and went my own way. On less common clean jets, the Aegean Ghost colors are stunning and really "pop". That's what I was looking for. I know the more common examples are severly weathered with oil just streaking from every panel. The jet actually was going to be the last of the Isreali mig killers, Kurnass 2000 but like I said, wanted to reproduce a in service example ( when started in 2020).

Cheers!