*done* OOB BoB A-1 "Cäsar Heinrich"

vppelt68

I'm having a day off, and got up as early as I'd get up for heading to work, but instead I began building a short wing Ju 88 A-1. It's a fresh kit that I unboxed for the first time today. Trying to learn from my recent mistakes, I have followed strictly the instructions. So far I have assembled and base painted all the cockpit subassemblies. I still dislike the flimsy rudder pedal construction... and this was the seventh time I did it! Pics, but later... V-P

• Like 3

Thanks Alistair!

OOB build (almost) following the instructions goes pretty well. I did leave the observer's seat off until I had the cockpit sidewalls and floor assembled, and then had to squeeze the seat to make it go through the top opening. So no more tweaking the instructions at all, right!

2022-12-08_01-35-30

I'm not much of a builder, detailer, painter or photographer - the fourth forgives a lot about the first three ones!

2022-12-08_01-36-38

The Revell kit molds are still in perfect condition, there's no flash and the fit is very good. Decal sheet has seatbelts and a few cockpit decals the instructions don't mention at all. Seatbelt decals were easier to apply than I feared/expected.

2022-12-08_01-41-11

The nose is actually almost finished by now. I decided to assemble the two-part mg through the windshield before closing the cockpit. I'll leave attaching all the B- and C- stand pieces and the antenna to final assembly stage.

V-P 

• Like 6

What did I just write about the future build sequence? It seems I forgot that immediately. Anyhoo, here's the little Schnellbomber now.

2022-12-09_08-35-37

I think I better not write anything about what I'd plan to do next. Well, at least she needs a little filler here and there, as these always do. V-P

EDIT: Last night I took another look at P.W. Stahl's memoires as a Ju 88 pilot (see References for a cover pic of the book). Although he flew most of his bomber pilot career in 6./KG 30, and later as a TO in Stab II/KG 30, he flew his first missions to England in 5. Staffel. He was later flying Cäsars (4D+CP, 4D+CC) but in the early days his regular mount was a Heinrich, thus I'm now inclined to decorating this one as 4D+HN. It looks like my modest decal stash could deliver that 🙂

• Like 5

• vppelt68 changed the title to OOB BoB A-1 "Heinrich"

Great show!

A shame there is no way to fit the MGs at the last minute.

Utter care is needed not to smash them along the way. But you appear to be the careful type... unlike me...

Have fun!

JR

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe my workbench is now closed for the holidays, but let's take one more look at where the A-1 stands now. I have never built a Revell Ju 88 in this sequence and so far it seems to work well. Since the latest update, I did some puttying and klearing (filling some canopy voids with Kristal Klear), then painted all the unmasked clear parts dark grey so they'd look ok seen from inside. Finally, I got to paint the belly light blue. The build will continue with masking the edge of the upper colours.

2022-12-23_01-46-29

Oh, and as a sneak preview of what's in the calendar for 2023! Merry Christmas everyone!

Remember, :santa: lives here in 🇫🇮 :giggle:. V-P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hanging in here! Today is the first day since catching the Wuhan flu, that I felt well enough to continue my build. I had painted the lighter green allover the fuselage top before everything was stopped for a few days. So, I went on with my favourite (really!) job, which is masking the splinter scheme for brush painting :yahoo:

2023-01-03_07-49-30

I've done so many of these, that I've learned to also mark those patches I should not paint - thus the large strip of wide masking tape on the fuselage side that shall remain lighter green :whistle:

2023-01-03_07-50-53

End of post. This was done not so much to show my (lack of real) progress, but to tell you I'm getting better :ill:. V-P

• Like 4

• vppelt68 changed the title to OOB BoB A-1 "Heinrich" (Staying alive)

Very detailed inside! I am deeply iimpressed. You painted it RLM-02, I painted mine with RLM 66, now I thin that I am wrong. How deeply are you sure about the RLM 02 for inside of A1 during BOB?

Regards

J-W

2 minutes ago, JWM said:

Very detailed inside! I am deeply iimpressed. You painted it RLM-02, I painted mine with RLM 66, now I thin that I am wrong. How deeply are you sure about the RLM 02 for inside of A1 during BOB?

Regards

J-W

D**n flash with the phone camera - I have painted the interior the dark grey Revell instructs, with a lighter grey drybrushed over it, it's definitely not meant to look like RLM 02 at all! I don't believe Ju 88 cockpits and 02 match at all :winkgrin:. V-P

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

D**n flash with the phone camera - I have painted the interior the dark grey Revell instructs, with a lighter grey drybrushed over it, it's definitely not meant to look like RLM 02 at all! I don't believe Ju 88 cockpits and 02 match at all :winkgrin:. V-P

Many thanks! Good that I asked, before I repainted mine😊

Regards

J-W 

• Haha 1

• vppelt68 changed the title to OOB BoB A-1 "Cäsar", not "Heinrich" after all

Thanks to everyone wishing me well, things are indeed a lot better already. Enough of the flu, let's get back to plastics!

My latest Ju 88 build attempts have got a flying start in assembling the rear fuselage and the wings. Then the Jumos seem to have lost their power and the builds have stalled. "Not this time", I said to myself.

2023-01-07_04-57-04

Cäsar's missing his antennae and one mg, to ease handling so far. Otherwise the fuselage is finished, up to all the stencilling already being there. In the end I didn't have a II Gruppe red shield decal so I decided to decorate him OOB. The tail insignia comes from an AIMS sheet. Oh what a joy to build an early war Luftwaffe bomber, no theater bands or wing tips in white or yellow. I do hate painting them! The kit supplied decals, btw, worked flawlessly and were very quick to apply. Next job will be the stabs/elevators and then the wings as last. V-P

• Like 2

Wings were a quick job. They do look silly with the short tips, takes a lot of mental adjusting to them.

2023-01-09_02-50-32

They are just clipped on for now, I prefer to paint them before attaching to the fuselage. Next job will be to paint the light blue areas. V-P

• Like 1

• vppelt68 changed the title to OOB BoB A-1 "Cäsar Heinrich"

"Cäsar Heinrich" is missing one part only, that being the main antenna mast over the canopy. Then some paint fixes maybe and he's done.

2023-01-13_04-11-47

V-P

EDIT: Now the antenna is there too. Just a few spots of paint here and there, and then pics for the gallery!

• Like 3

• vppelt68 changed the title to *done* OOB BoB A-1 "Cäsar Heinrich"
  • 4 weeks later...