“Dassault on Precinct 13” Italeri Mirage 1/32

Good afternoon and welcome to my Christmas WIP.

it’s a big un. 
Italeri’s  Dassault Mirage iiiC 

in 1/32 scale.

like most if not all of my builds I know nothing about this aeroplane apart from it looks great and has nothing whatsoever to do with John Carpenters classic siege movie that I have aped for the title. 
Here’s the frankly MASSIVE box.

52543174368_4fe2a60ca1_b.jpg

Look!!!!!

theres a can of Tamiya paint and some TET for scale. 
I had a warm fuzzy feeling this morning when I saw the BM logo with snow on top. ☃️This encouraged me to tidy the bench off, get a coffee and dive right in to this big beastie. I’m planing on making the one on the front of the box so if you feel festive and fancy a nice fire side build. Pull up a log, grab an egg nog (other drinks are available) and come along for the sleigh ride. 
I can’t guarantee much but what I can say is that it’s going to be fun.

Take care and see you in the next post. 😀🎅🎄

Johnny.

• Like 25

A wonderful lazy day has been spent. I forget how good modelling is for one’s mental health.

Where were we. Contents of that mahoosive box.

To be fair it’s rammed full of plastic which I guess is a good sign. All of it looking rather nicely moulded.

Fuselage and wings.

52543175588_92fcc9f4d9_b.jpg

Some ordinance and a rather impressive jet engine.

52542629871_1ed5bb62b3_b.jpg

Some more missiles and what not clear parts that look rather nice and a set of brass PE belts, mirrors and trim.

Even the receipt was still in the box. It was more than I thought but still a good price for such a large kit.

52542924744_d8e8ec30a4_b.jpg

The decals are many (which is why I have some issues) and the detailed instructions that for some reason although voluminous are quite vague.

52543112410_b215444e6e_b.jpg

By the by the kit starts with the office.

😇 so let us begin.

The gates aren’t too big and the detail is really rather good it must be said.

52542924439_e7a0d014d3_b.jpg

There are quite a few pin marks but my new Telford purchase put paid to those pesky blighters.

52542629516_e2825d3229_b.jpg

And the glueing can commence.

52542167722_548a7a7b85_b.jpg

Ah yes well, let’s see if you can spot the schoolboy error?

52542167172_3bf223d785_b.jpg

🤔🤔🤔🤔🥺😩

yup. The pull handle should be sticking out from that hole up there. 🫣 doh! 
never mind a bit of gentle persuasion and POP!

We’re back in business. Looks good too. 😎

52542167132_762f7c9381_b.jpg

Now here’s my issue. This is a rather expensive kit. £80 I think originally. All the decals in the world for about six different schemes. And guess what you get to go with this lovely IP?

52542167547_51e59f716a_b.jpg

Zilch! Nothing. Nada. Not a sausage. Zero.  Basically I felt a little put out, yes I could have forked out for some AM but seriously what a miss step. It’s a real shame. But fear not although I don’t have any decal paper I decided to make some stencils in photo shop, print em out and glue em on.

Something like this. But better. 😉 

52542923484_d967007e38_b.jpg

I have been soo g a bit of research into this build and although no one has mentioned the IP decal lack they do say that the fit is a little lack lustre and the nose is a pain so. Dry fit time. 
The three part fuselage actually fits quite well although apart from the locating lugs the connection points are vague.

52542923959_49cb210414_b.jpg

You can just see a slight notch in the cone so you can locate to the fuselage but in reality it really doesn’t work.

52543174678_96676488a1_b.jpg

It’s not terrible but for an expensive kit I’d expect better and coming from my recent Trumpeter build it’s way below par.

52542923874_f7b9900f4c_b.jpg

Nothing that can’t be fixed mind but just good to know what lies ahead.

You can just see that some sanding is also required on the sides.

52543111795_85b1b271b4_b.jpg

Ok ok. Enough of the whining let’s find the fun! This is a festive fun build after all right. 🤩

The tub is looking good.

52543111430_f48ed9015c_b.jpg

And a dry fit shows the detail quality is beautiful.

52543333250_edbcb24a6c_b.jpg

And from the front.

52542629891_deddae27d3_b.jpg

Right then let’s get ready for paint!!

52542924764_ca5790bb50_b.jpg

And that I’m afraid is your lot for tonight.

I hope you’re enjoying the build so far, I know I am. 🤩

All comments welcomed and if you notice something that I should be doing please don’t be shy.

Take care and as always.

Happy moddeling.

Johnny. 😇

• Like 27

Ok maybe not. Looks like I can carry on after all. 🤓

Where were we? Ahh yes, paint.

well everything got primed and I decided as the interior is black to paint in a dark great with a pre shade to add some variation.

52543175358_330ef7363b_b.jpg

And tother bits and bobs.

52542924539_98c211f140_b.jpg

Than the grey. Well nato black.

52542629471_c11b4de81a_b.jpg

Hard to see in this shot but you can just see the darker under paint.

I printed my home brew decals not decals and popped them in place.

52543174968_16a49d04dd_b.jpg

Not bad. Mix that up with some extras from the spares box and a bit of pair and it might just work.

A little while later. 😇😀

52543175083_2059143835_b.jpg

almost there. Just needs a top coat, some weathering to pop out the detail and some Tamiya clear for the screens and I think we might have a winner. 🤩

The seat got its base colours picked out.

52542924169_cda5260471_b.jpg

I shall fit the PE belts and paint before gluing on and doing the usual weathering and washes. I think this is going to look lovely.  
The other cockpit areas got some base paint and spares box decals.

52543174718_fb351076c3_b.jpg

Pretty good I think. I was beginning to get tired so before leaving it for the night I decided to pop out some of the detail on the rear of the cockpit with Tamiya weathering powders.

52543174698_362e837d23_b.jpg

Ok that works. 🤩

looking forward to the rest now. 😇

Ok that really is it for the night. One more week before I break up for Christmas and this can really get going.

Thanks for dropping in.

All the best chums, stay warm out there.

Johnny 

• Like 31

I'm in, I'm in! :popcorn:  :beer:  

Front row, no less :D 

Excellent work so far, Johnny :clap:  Fit issues as per Italeri's norm, I see; not dramatic, but for the money you paid... Anyway, I'm sure you'll sort them brilliantly :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice progress so far, Johnny! Agreeing with everyone else, the lack of IP decal is madness, but your fix is fantastic.

Incidentally, I'm reading through your 1/32 Sea Venom build at the moment, it's a great build

James

• Thanks 1

a bit of a blitz of a start Johnny. 

I am a bit concerned however that you have committed the cardinal sin of applying pigment to parts before the first page is even dry.  There are certain members** of our community who get a bit over excited and drool uncontrollably at the prospect of paint, therefore as a safety measure and more importantly, to prevent these pages becoming saturated with drool it's an unwritten rule that we generally don't apply any coloring in juice until at least page 3 or later.

You really don't want to set a precedent here lest it becomes an expectation.  How on earth are the rest of us going to keep up?

**   Giorgio shall remain nameless in order to protect the guilty.

• Haha 13

boy oh boy. What have I done? I really didn’t mean to cause a din. 

post bag. 💌

16 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

For a kit this size and price not to have an instrument panel is 🤯

I know right. It’s madness. On the big Airfix ones at least they have raised details so you can dry brush but these blighters are flat as pancakes. 

14 hours ago, Hamden said:

A great start to this one

Stay safe  Roger 

Thanks my good man.

13 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm in, I'm in! :popcorn:  :beer:  

Front row, no less :D 

Excellent work so far, Johnny :clap:  Fit issues as per Italeri's norm, I see; not dramatic, but for the money you paid... Anyway, I'm sure you'll sort them brilliantly :thumbsup:

Ciao

I think I’ve build italeri before but to be fair the fit is getting better the more used to it I get. 

11 hours ago, Brandy said:

Looking sweet so far, but like you, I'm at a loss to understand why there's no IP decal!

Ian

Thanks Ian. 🤩

11 hours ago, 81-er said:

Nice progress so far, Johnny! Agreeing with everyone else, the lack of IP decal is madness, but your fix is fantastic.

Incidentally, I'm reading through your 1/32 Sea Venom build at the moment, it's a great build

James

Thanks James. Aaah yes the Venom. I had some fun with that IP too if I remember correctly. 🖤

8 hours ago, hendie said:

a bit of a blitz of a start Johnny. 

I am a bit concerned however that you have committed the cardinal sin of applying pigment to parts before the first page is even dry.  There are certain members** of our community who get a bit over excited and drool uncontrollably at the prospect of paint, therefore as a safety measure and more importantly, to prevent these pages becoming saturated with drool it's an unwritten rule that we generally don't apply any coloring in juice until at least page 3 or later.

You really don't want to set a precedent here lest it becomes an expectation.  How on earth are the rest of us going to keep up?

**   Giorgio shall remain nameless in order to protect the guilty.

He he he! Sorry Alan I don’t know what came over me, one minute it was just plasticy then it all got kind of coloured in. I can’t remember much about it. 👀 I blame the voices. 🥳🙃

5 hours ago, giemme said:

:rofl2:  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I brought tissues, anyway... :D 

Ciao

Lorks.

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

Drool on, Giorgio!

🤣

Ian

🤤

2 hours ago, kiseca said:

A Mirage? I'm in like Flynn!

Great work so far. Also can't fathom why there are no instrument panel decals but your solution looks brilliant.

Hey thanks . Nice to have you aboard.

Thanks guys you’re all too kind.  A little more done over lunch time and tonight but it’ll grind to a bit of a halt as I’m busy for the rest of the week.  “Life always finds a way (to stop you glueing little aeroplanes together) 🤪

• Like 3

Hey kids. 
a little more done today.

I got some powders and washes on the IP to pop some of the details.

52545713635_59d7c3ce2a_b.jpg

I’m happy with that.🤩

So I did the same with the other office bits and bobs.

52545529159_44fc5eac3b_b.jpg

And the bang seat.

52545233861_05919377e0_b.jpg

The detail In The kit is really making me forget the vague fit. To be fair the fits not bad it’s just the lack of definite position points. But hey that’s the fun right? 🤪

The front got some washes but still needs it’s belts and more washes to get finished.

52545529114_584b22f12d_b.jpg

Then it all had to get glued so I can move on.  Under scrutiny the wires at the back do look a little moulded but most if not all will be covered by the seat so I’m not worried. 

52545713660_f113829ef5_b.jpg

The seat dry fitted but I’ll leave it out until the end. ( note to self, Don’t lose seat )

52545778513_9a8678d3a1_b.jpg

I’m going to add some extra wires and cables but overall I’m happy with that.

52545713585_9f942e94d4_b.jpg

The rest I think will be plane sailing. 🤞🤞🤞 The next bits that need making are the wheel wells. The front that’s attached to the tub.

Look at the detail!!! It’s lovely. 

52545233896_4f84b67105_b.jpg

And the rear ones.

52545233891_92f0ae6ae4_b.jpg

I’m so used to having to add extra stuff that I’m actually loving having stuff just there. Apparently the wells are white with silver pipes. 🤔 is that right? Does anyone know? 

Well I’m back in the office for two days tomorrow and the Christmas party is Friday so it looks like the bench will be dry until the weekend. 

Take care chums, Thanks for looking in.

Johnny. 🫡

• Like 27

12 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I just want to note that the thread title cracks me up every time I see it. Jean Charpentier was truly the finest pilot in the Armée de l'air.

I’m glad you approve. 🙌. “Got a smoke?” 😉

16 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I’m so used to having to add extra stuff that I’m actually loving having stuff just there

tbh I found that a bit of a downer on my Airfix Hunter build.  The detail was there and pretty decent and I had very little to do other than glue it together and paint it. All very disheartening. Maybe there's something wrong with me.

The cockpit are is looking very nice though.   You might want to add a drain hole in the bottom in case you know who gets anywhere near it

• Haha 6

18 hours ago, Procopius said:

I just want to note that the thread title cracks me up every time I see it. Jean Charpentier was truly the finest pilot in the Armée de l'air.

To say nothing of that guy called Napoleon - "Can't argue with un homme confident!"

@The SpadgentGreat Mirage goodness so far, will follow with interest and beverages. Have you decided on a scheme yet?

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the lovely comments. I’m currently flying Brumward on a train so I’ll go through the post. 💌

On 05/12/2022 at 22:17, giemme said:

That IP is just outstanding, Johnny! :worthy: And so is the whole tub and the seat! :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio. The more I look at it the more I think I should be adding. The extra wires and what not should itch that scratch. (As my wife would say) 

On 06/12/2022 at 00:59, Terry1954 said:

Wow, brilliant start on this giant, and yes that IP is indeed outstanding.

Terry

Thanks Terry, I’m glad it turned out ok in the end. As I jump all over the place from scales to types of aeroplane AM decals would be an expensive option. Maybe I need to invest in decal paper. 🤔

23 hours ago, 81-er said:

Cracking work, Johnny!

James

Thanks James. I have a feeling this one is going to come together rather quickly. ❤️

18 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

👏 for topic title alone ! :D

It’s a favourite of mine. I adore John Carpenters work. Especially in the early days.

18 hours ago, hendie said:

tbh I found that a bit of a downer on my Airfix Hunter build.  The detail was there and pretty decent and I had very little to do other than glue it together and paint it. All very disheartening. Maybe there's something wrong with me.

The cockpit are is looking very nice though.   You might want to add a drain hole in the bottom in case you know who gets anywhere near it

I know what you mean Alan, there’s something about adding those extra bits and bobs that makes it “yours” I feel that way about the IP at the moment. Hopefully adding some cables and the way I paint her up will bring the individuality. 

16 hours ago, Hook said:

To say nothing of that guy called Napoleon - "Can't argue with un homme confident!"

@The SpadgentGreat Mirage goodness so far, will follow with interest and beverages. Have you decided on a scheme yet?

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks. I’m currently aiming for the scheme from the box art. French 1980 I believe. There is another French one from 78 I think , blue with a silver underside. I may go here as I’m a little tired of camo.

we shall see. 🤔😉😀🙌

Thanks again for all the kind words. I hope you’re all having a splendid week.

Johnny.

• Like 7