“Dassault on Precinct 13” Italeri Mirage 1/32

Amazed to hear you still have COVID tests and quarantine, they stopped here before Xmas. Now its just "if you're ill, stay home".

Great save on the damage though!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed, walking the dog(s) is great therapy when thing go awry.

Covid tests stopped here about a month ago, we try not to take too many risks and still wear masks in supermarkets and crowded and confined spaces.

John

• Like 2

On 07/04/2023 at 22:52, hendie said:

Nice rescue Mr J.  Glad to see you didn't panic or bin it and just tackled it one piece at a time.  I'm not sure I would have been so calm about it and would probably have needed a few days away before staring it in the face again.

I'd never noticed the Viewmaster before - is it for ornamental purposes or are you an active viewer?  I have a bit of a collection... all my favorite TV shows from my youth such as Man from UNCLE, Addams Family, the Munsters, Lost in Space etc. along with sets of every (major) place I've visited like Lake Como, Tokyo, Kyoto, HK, South Africa and so on.  I always meant to have them on display but since I'm relegated to the dungeon they're all still in boxes to avoid collectiong dust. 

Thanks Alan. The Viewmaster I found at a jumble sale. It’s “He-Man” I loved them as a kid and had to buy it. Years ago now. I didn’t know they were a “Thing” you have loads then? 😀

On 08/04/2023 at 07:23, perdu said:

OMBG John, what a horrid, awful thing to have to deal with, luckily you have access to the perfect antidote to a disaster.

Walk the dog, a remedy for disaster I used to have for years.

Mind you John, I'm not sure you should be WWBDing but proud as punch to have been referenced so, thankee kindly sir.

I have had many such episodes and had one like that myself only recently, luckily my own disaster came during the middle stages of putting longer legs on my Kestrel.

Yes drill holes and get on with it is therapeutic, luckily, but I now have very visible holes to deal with where the Albion Alloys aluminium tube has been required to poke out.

Not looking forward to having to get to grips with that sometime later this year...

P1010278.jpg

The Mirage looks amazing, even knowing the components were not up to the task of carrying a simple can down onto a work bench surface, tut!

You can be very very pleased with it mate.

Thanks Bill. I shall take those very kind words and raise you an “ I’ll always have a WWBD” , it’s my super power. 🤩

On 08/04/2023 at 07:59, AdrianMF said:

Good save!

Regards,

Adrian

Thank me mon. I’m so glad it “just” worked. (Phew)

On 08/04/2023 at 11:03, Dave Slowbuild said:

Anyone can drop an aerosol can on to their almost finished build from a great height, but not everyone can stay calm, think it through and get it all fixed!
Here endeth today’s lesson.   

It caught me at a good moment. 🤣

On 08/04/2023 at 11:33, 81-er said:

My heart sank when I saw the photo of the Mirage post-impact, but that's a fantastic save, Johnny, well done! I hope Gem makes a swift recovery and that the rest of you manage to avoid it. I'll also wish you a happy birthday in advance, as I'm spending the next few days with my lady and won't be checking in until I'm back :)

James

Thanks James. Hope you have a nice break. 😇

On 08/04/2023 at 11:35, giemme said:

Hectic week Johnny, uh? :frantic:

I hope your wife is good, albeit positive 🤞

Excellent finishing on the big Mirage, and excellent fix to the bombing attack she underwent :D :clap:

Zero is quite the carachter, isn't he? :D

And a 5 miles walk, respect! :worthy:

Happy Easter,  to you and everybody!

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio. It’s been a bonkers few days that’s for sure.

On 08/04/2023 at 12:20, Tentacles said:

What an awesome save - though I'll be reading the rest of this thread from behind the sofa!

Ha! No need for that. It’ll be fine. 
prbably. 🤣

On 08/04/2023 at 13:52, Brandy said:

Amazed to hear you still have COVID tests and quarantine, they stopped here before Xmas. Now its just "if you're ill, stay home".

Great save on the damage though!

Ian

We still do tests just in case. Both my and Gems parents are on the vulnerable list so we try and keep ‘em safe and it’s always good to self isolate. Covid was really crappy when I had it.  Plus my daughter has exams next week. 

On 08/04/2023 at 17:28, Biggles87 said:

Agreed, walking the dog(s) is great therapy when thing go awry.

Covid tests stopped here about a month ago, we try not to take too many risks and still wear masks in supermarkets and crowded and confined spaces.

John

Good idea John. 

On 09/04/2023 at 10:51, Dave Slowbuild said:

Happy birthday kidda, ‘ave a good ‘un.

Hope your good lady is on the mend.

Thank you. A good time was had indeed.

On 10/04/2023 at 00:35, J.P. said:

Ok, not a subject that I have a "thing" for but I'll follow along as it looks to be quite interesting. Only on page two so spoilers please. 

Nice pun. 😉 I’ll stay schtum I do t want to get into, Big Trouble. 🤫🫣🤣

• Like 1

Hey!! 
What a totally bonkers weekend. Looking after the family while keeping germ free has been exhausting and fun. Although we didn’t do what ever had been planned for my birthday I still managed to see friends and have a good time.

I felt rather spoilt. 
I sold some of the stash a week or so ago and got money off family for the scorcher. Sooo happy to own one at last. 🤩🤩

52808249049_63e16d6559_b.jpg

Also got this.

52807489912_357acbbc6b_b.jpg

Just need to plant my rhubarb. ❤️❤️❤️

I hadn’t seen Gem for four days but we FaceTimed her from the sitting room while I opened my gifts.  Bless Tilly had to wrap everything, she did such a good job. ❤️

52808045136_f90b293c3e_b.jpg

Gem tested negative the day after my Birthday and is now free of the sitting room so all good!! ❤️❤️❤️

Also managed a crafty Birthday treat to Cosford with the kids on Saturday. 

52808495963_2ecbaafcbe_b.jpg

Aaanyway!!! Back to the build.

The canopy got sprayed weathered and unmasked.  Oooh looks like it all just worked. 

52808495768_d1cddb77cd_b.jpg

The seat got glued in.

52808248304_250cce0b98_b.jpg

As did the little bit and bobs around the canopy rim. You can just see them through the front glass. 

52808045851_32289d7f92_b.jpg

Also the mirrors and actuator.

52808248749_9a404586b1_b.jpg

The rear tail thing got added.

52808248939_55daaa5ec2_b.jpg

As did the lights. (I need to dirty them up a bit. )

52808045986_2e03059e10_b.jpg

Also on the wings.

52808248289_e223ccf0a6_b.jpg

The ladder got a silver under coat.

52808452585_39087b4526_b.jpg

Masked with mr Neo and painted yellow.

52808248839_e6b53262c0_b.jpg

And then rubbed off to reveal some lovely chipping.

52807489882_6950581fa1_b.jpg

Just needs some flory action. 😍

Canopy is now setting in place!

52807490942_2fed2f3277_b.jpg

She’s pretty much done now! 
Clears off the bench so I can concentrate on my group build errr build but I’ll get her done in the next few days.

work is really hotting up so bench time is really limited but not much left so yay!

We had some sun to take pics too but the wind really blasted and I thought better of it. 💨💨💨💨

Almost there. Stay on target etc .

Thanks for dropping in. 

Hope you’re having a splendid week.

Johnny. 

• Like 24

The Mirage is looking awesome and full credit to your skills!  :worthy:

Glad to hear the family are all well ..... you can revisit the birthday now! 

Keith  😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Impressive down to every single detail, Johnny! Even the ladder! :worthy:  :clap: :clap: 

Also, I'm glad that the health situation is back to normal :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

On 13/04/2023 at 08:55, 81-er said:

Glad to hear everyone's back to full health, Johnny :) The plane's looking good too

James

Thanks James. Yup all back in action. 😇

On 13/04/2023 at 09:26, Keeff said:

The Mirage is looking awesome and full credit to your skills!  :worthy:

Glad to hear the family are all well ..... you can revisit the birthday now! 

Keith  😁

Thanks Keith. 😀

On 13/04/2023 at 11:57, Brandy said:

Lovely jubbly!

Great to hear all are well again too.

Ian

Thanks dude. 🙌

On 13/04/2023 at 12:04, hendie said:

wonderful job Johnny

Thank you dear sir. 

On 13/04/2023 at 15:40, giemme said:

Impressive down to every single detail, Johnny! Even the ladder! :worthy:  :clap: :clap: 

Also, I'm glad that the health situation is back to normal :thumbsup:

Ciao

Thanks G. The ladder is now weathered. Just need to fit the darn thing and we’re done. Alas the pesky opera ghost has been keeping me busy. 👻

• Like 1

Nice work and great save. That Scorcher looks cool too. I still have a Super Champ that I built way back in the late 80s, haven't run it in decades though. I think it uses the same  chasis(?), weighs a ton. 

• Thanks 1

On 17/04/2023 at 12:42, J.P. said:

Nice work and great save. That Scorcher looks cool too. I still have a Super Champ that I built way back in the late 80s, haven't run it in decades though. I think it uses the same  chasis(?), weighs a ton. 

Thank you. Wow!! The super champ was cool too. I think it was the same chassis. All metal so super heavy.  

• Like 1

Sorry guys, this is pretty much done now. Just trying to get the ladder finished but I’m being kept busy over in a GB.

Come and join the fun if you feel the urge. I’ll get the ladder all sorted this week and get a few pics. Then when the dots get warmer get some nice outdoors shots. 

Johnny

• 1 month later...

Sorry it’s taken soo long. I actually managed to get some pics out in the sun yesterday. RFI can be found here.

Thanks for tagging along and making this such an enjoyable build. 

All the best kids.

Johnny

- Thanks for sharing your inspirationnal work - J.M

- I was in Djibouti in the F 100 days awfully weathered as its successor  the IIIC were , yours depict exactly how these old soldiers were looking before being off duty  replaced by their younger brother Mirage F1....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome weathering (and the rest of it).

[edit] can't help noticing that in the background of the last batch of shots, your workspace is festooned with blurred disembodied heads. Kinda creepy!

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away for a while and just now caught up.  This is a beautifully grubby build!  WOW!  Very nice work.  Terrific save on the landing gear -- it kinda stopped my heart reading about it so I can only imagine what it was like in person.

• Thanks 1