“Dassault on Precinct 13” Italeri Mirage 1/32

She's looking fantastic, Johnny, your decal battering is working out brilliantly. Good to see the eye is improving as well. No snow for me back home (too far south and by the sea), but there's still patches up in Nottingham where my girlfriend lives. We paid a visit to Newstead Abbey yesterday and it was a little surreal being able to wonder around the grounds wearing a lightweight fleece instead of a coat when there were siginificant amounts of snow on the drive there. Lovely place to visit as well

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2023 at 1:15 AM, The Spadgent said:

It began a little like this.

52724576900_3603292e30_b.jpg

Hi Johnny, been away from the desk for a while so a bit behind, but this is interesting! This is a new technique to me and I feel like copying it to give it a try myself. Where are these worms made of, is it a masking putty?

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 3

Liking how this has come along 👍

On the subject of Blu-tac masking, I found that filling between the worms with cling film is much quicker, and although Tamiya may not thank me for saying this - a lot cheaper!

It's easy enough to just lay it down over the Blu-tac, then run a scalpel blade along the worms, then peel off the excess. In some areas it's just as easy to fold it back on itself as it sticks down fine, and won't lift from the Blu-tac.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

On 11/03/2023 at 08:01, kiseca said:

Or I should just trust my own eyes more! Thanks for the explanation. I was asking because the sponge looked like a good idea and I was about to copy it for a model I'm busy with.. then when I read about masking fluid I lost all my confidence 🤣

Deffo sponge. Yes it’s a great way to mask. Give it a try. 🤩

On 11/03/2023 at 08:42, Hamden said:

Looking stunning you are a magician with paint and effects.

Stay safe           Roger

Thanks Roger that’s very nice of you to say. 😇

On 11/03/2023 at 09:05, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad,

The pointy bit is called a "souris" ( mouse....) by the french...

I always found that funny and more poetic than air flow regulation cone.....

Just for the fun of it....

Sincerely.

CC

That’s a great anecdote CC. I’ll remember that. 🤩

On 11/03/2023 at 09:26, giemme said:

Looking splendid with all stickers on, Johnny! :clap:  :clap: Looking forward to the weathering stage!

Ciao 

Thanks G weathering is going well. I think.

On 11/03/2023 at 15:14, hendie said:

Remarkably effective sticker scrubbing Johnny - looking very good.

Thanks Dear boy. 🤩

On 13/03/2023 at 08:49, 81-er said:

She's looking fantastic, Johnny, your decal battering is working out brilliantly. Good to see the eye is improving as well. No snow for me back home (too far south and by the sea), but there's still patches up in Nottingham where my girlfriend lives. We paid a visit to Newstead Abbey yesterday and it was a little surreal being able to wonder around the grounds wearing a lightweight fleece instead of a coat when there were siginificant amounts of snow on the drive there. Lovely place to visit as well

James

Oooh sounds lovely. It is odd being warm in the snow. 

17 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Geez. Even when he deliberately ruins something it looks good 🤩

Ha! Thanks. 

14 hours ago, ScheF15 said:

Hi Johnny, been away from the desk for a while so a bit behind, but this is interesting! This is a new technique to me and I feel like copying it to give it a try myself. Where are these worms made of, is it a masking putty?

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob. The worms are regular blu-tac. It’s better if it’s old as you get less residue but basically you roll a worm pop it on and fill the bit you don’t want to paint.

Good luck with your new technique. 🙌

13 hours ago, B_Bogus said:

Liking how this has come along 👍

On the subject of Blu-tac masking, I found that filling between the worms with cling film is much quicker, and although Tamiya may not thank me for saying this - a lot cheaper!

It's easy enough to just lay it down over the Blu-tac, then run a scalpel blade along the worms, then peel off the excess. In some areas it's just as easy to fold it back on itself as it sticks down fine, and won't lift from the Blu-tac.

Thanks for the tip. I have used cling film in the past. Also wet kitchen roll. Unfortunately I have a thing about cling film, it sets my teeth on edge so it would be a eugh for me. (Mad I know) 🫣 to be fair I rip the tape so find it quite fun. Thanks though. Others might want to try the plastic method. 

How is it Tuesday night already? 🫣

Time does indeed fly it seems. Had some great family time over the weekend leaving little time for the BIG Mirage but progress has been made. This process will be a bit slow. As I’m kind of learning on the job so to speak. I kind of have a plan but whether (excuse the pun)  it comes good or not is anyone’s guess. 
So any way, on with the show. 
sand and grime mix ala Flory.

52748226049_aa828ef22c_b.jpg

I used a fan brush to get a wide application. I brushed in the rough direction of airflow.

52748394055_0eb2ef2bd1_b.jpg

Trying to get as few gaps and holes as possible. That’ll do. Nice and filthy.

52748475543_196f23c6ff_b.jpg

Whilst waiting for that to dry I sanded the HHUUGGEE ordinance pods. 

52748226044_297c489058_b.jpg

By the time they were freed from seems and re-scribed the Flory was dry.

52748475523_4173f4b82e_b.jpg

Now I know what you’re thinking but stick with me on this. Now it’s not just a case of wiping off the flory and leave it in the dips and panel lines. You can do that but what I want here is an overall “fug” of dust , sand and muck. I went at it with three tools: Small bits of sponge, my fingers and cotton buds for finer areas.

Here are the first few steps.

52748476128_8e356951cf_b.jpg

And a couple of close ups.

52747455152_9a87641ebe_b.jpg

52747454812_06e62f9293_b.jpg

now happy with that I need to go back and hit it with the next phase. I’m using “dark dirt” Flory ONLY in the areas that I need to be darker like the panel line areas.

52747979956_76f943c455_b.jpg

This will give me a nice three tone vibe to my Sandy weathering. 🏝️

Once dry and before knocking back I decide to check the underside to do a first pass there. Giving a nice juxtapose.

52748476078_623802bd79_b.jpg

What was that Zero?

52747979751_e701b882dd_b.jpg

“You’ve missed some decals you douche” “woof” 🫣😵

He’s right you know. Look.

52747455107_73fb02a836_b.jpg

Hells bells. Right out with the decal sheets and warm water/ Daco etc. 😑

Right there we go.

52747454507_4ab5df3858_b.jpg

That was lucky. Imagine if I’d missed some on the top. 🤫

guess what? 

52747980201_4747dbbe8f_b.jpg

8A and 10 still look clear. 😵😵😵

Ok Time out while I think of a plan.*

52748393290_1bf04023ff_b.jpg

Thanks for popping in. I hope you’re still enjoying the build. Any questions please Gimmie an ask. I’m happy to help, if you’d like help from such a forgetful fool that is. 🤪

More tomorrow.

Happy modelling chums.

Johnny 😇

*Plan has been thunked. 🤩 

• Like 18

You've definitely hit the "dusty fug" look with that, Johnny. Could you get away with just locally cleaning an area with a cotton bud & water to get those missing decals on?

James

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 81-er said:

You've definitely hit the "dusty fug" look with that, Johnny. Could you get away with just locally cleaning an area with a cotton bud & water to get those missing decals on?

James

10 points to the man at the front! 🤩🙌

Shall we continue? 

So these decals were missing.

52747980201_4747dbbe8f_b.jpg

Not missing but I’d forgotten to add them, like the ones on the pylons.  So unlike the underside where I could add the decals, Daco then top coat then Flory. I was a bit restricted.  The joy of Flory as James so rightly pointed out is that I can wipe it clear with water. Soooo.

52748393670_87a21c8911_b.jpg

I added the decal and even added Daco but I really couldn’t add a top coat so I bit the bullet and floried without the gloss. Fingers crossed they will survive the manipulation. But I’m seeing it as a bit of a win. 🙌

Right then where was that clean bit? Over we go.

52748393305_a957d63c4b_b.jpg

Same mix of flory, same fan brush. 😍

same directionality.

52748226884_201d357904_b.jpg

I actually used this wash to tone feather in  the drips from the top side seen earlier.

52748226424_5d07d231c0_b.jpg

Same method of subtle removal.

52748226034_7b33f86262_b.jpg

A bit too much looking at this but you really need to do a bit then come back with fresh eyes. So I added the dark dirt to the dark areas I wanted.

52748394005_118e9fd69b_b.jpg

And let her dry while walking the dog. 
oooh ‘osses. 

52748476168_c8b165506e_b.jpg

There we are. Almost dry.

52748475538_ab1bec145d_b.jpg

so looking at the other side I went at it again with some fresher eyes.

52748393980_44dbacc1d7_b.jpg

Hmmm not bad. The decals stayed put too. 😍

52748475143_d9249e2808_b.jpg

This at a point I spun her over to hit the next pass on the underside.

52748226419_7e8491f6a4_b.jpg

Hmmm getting there. More knocking back needed and over about half an hour I was here.

52748475798_8352af9a26_b.jpg

I want the underside to be less gritty than

the top but still well worn.

closer you can see the fug.

52748475388_89e9dea3d6_b.jpg

A bit more off on the top side.

52747454522_c3283fcc23_b.jpg

I like this. Here are some shots in natural light.

52747455067_58df191864_b.jpg

And

52748394205_6fa9f3c8c3_b.jpg

on these pics I can see the edges on the decals where the flory has caught so I’ll need to sort that before moving on.

I do like the way the masked paint sanded decals and flory is blurring together.

52748226909_f5f41f4626_b.jpg

And a bit closer.

52747454907_7a6998d6c7_b.jpg

Time for a spot of lunch and come back once again with free eyes. 😍

creamy mustard mushrooms. Mmmmm

52749022364_21eb845c8b_b.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

hopefully more over the weekend.

Johnny

• Like 22

43 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I like this.

😅

We KNOW that, Johnny, we know it! 

It's what you do 👍

You and the Flory..... You're a Flory Influencer.! Your processes never cease to amaze and inspire. They oughta be sponsoring your demonstrations

Good job the wee Zero is on your case though, he doesn't miss a thing 🐕‍🦺

(has anyone said that you're making heavy weather of this?..... ducks the projectiles and runs for the door..... 

• Haha 5

On 15/03/2023 at 23:19, rob Lyttle said:

😅

We KNOW that, Johnny, we know it! 

It's what you do 👍

You and the Flory..... You're a Flory Influencer.! Your processes never cease to amaze and inspire. They oughta be sponsoring your demonstrations

Good job the wee Zero is on your case though, he doesn't miss a thing 🐕‍🦺

(has anyone said that you're making heavy weather of this?..... ducks the projectiles and runs for the door..... 

A Flory influencer. 😂😂 If this was you tube I’d have tens of pence. 😂🤣 But thank you. 

On 15/03/2023 at 23:43, hendie said:

Damn! Not only is our Spad an MA (Master of the Airbrush), he's got a PhD* in Flory application.

* Phlory Dirtying.    (I know... poor, but it was all I could come up with)

Oh my. 🤣

On 16/03/2023 at 07:15, Biggles87 said:

Brilliant! Looks  like it’s been standing out in the hot sun and sandblasted, which I’m sure is the desired effect.

John

Thanks. Yes just that. More to come though. ☀️

23 hours ago, ScheF15 said:

I would also like to give some compliments, but I'm just speechless. Your weathering skills are breath-taking, but on the other hand I am a novice in that field 😅

Thank you too kind. It’s all about practice and having fun. 😇

22 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- What a lesson......!!!  I've used Flory on many of my models without reaching  the tenth of your result, ....

Thanks. You can go to town on builds like this. Soon I want to do a really broken and rusty something or other. 

21 hours ago, 81-er said:

Great work there, Johnny, she's looking filthier than a Kings Cross hooker

James

Sound like a Maiden track. 😉

14 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

....or even the King's Happy Hooker....🤭

That sound like a beer. 🍺

10 hours ago, Keeff said:

Wow! This is masterclass in weathering and 'fug'... amazing effects! 👏 

Keith 😁 

Thanks Keith.  Too kind by far. 😍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Soon I want to do a really broken and rusty something or other. 

There's an entropy group build later in the year for exactly that

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 81-er said:

There's an entropy group build later in the year for exactly that

James

Ooooh could you share a link for this lazy modeller. 🤩

9 hours ago, giemme said:

You sure know how to dirt up an aircraft, Johnny! :worthy:  :clap:  :clap:

Ciao

Thanks G. She’s getting her next phase already. I’ll need this thread so I can remember what I did for when I need to paint the “Bits’n’Bobs” 🥳

• Like 1