“Dassault on Precinct 13” Italeri Mirage 1/32

6 hours ago, Fritag said:

Slightly embarrassed to mention this chaps :blush:

But there's some good pictures in the BM walkaround:

Including:

m21.JPG

Although to be fair; the position of control surfaces in museum examples isn't really to be trusted.

I always forget our lovely site has a walk around section. Thanks for finding g that out Steve. Two pics is good enough for me. Fla…. Ele…Everons adjusted. 🤩 is it Everons? My I phone keeps correcting to Everton. 🤣

6 hours ago, giemme said:

Great job with the pre-shading, Johnny! :clap:  :clap: 

Love the castle pic too! :thumbsup: Looks like you had a great time!

A bit of trivia to add some confusion on aircraft terms: on the F-4 Phantoms (among others), the horizontal tail planes are in one piece, in place of having a fixed part (stabilizer) and a movable one (elevator). So they are often referred to as "stabilators"..... :whistle: :D

Ciao

What!!! Really? What?    Giorgio? You pulling my legeron? 🤣

6 hours ago, Tentacles said:

Isn't that also called a "flying tailplane"?

Oh god. 

6 hours ago, Fritag said:

Or indeed “all moving tailplane” a sub species of which of course is your ”taileron” ;) The Phantom, Hawk, Jag and Tornado (for example) all have all moving tailplanes but only the latter two have tailerons :whistle: (I hope I’ve remembered that right… :blush:

*walks backward, very, slowly. 

3 hours ago, 81-er said:

Nice work on mucking up the paint there, Johnny, but for the sake of your lungs, change that filter in your booth! 🤣

I hope your dad's doing ok now?

James

I wear a mask too. Yes it does need a good vacuum. 

2 hours ago, hendie said:

and you thought helicopters were complicated. At least they only have a big spinny thing and a wee spinny thing

Now that’s more my language. 🤩😆

2 hours ago, giemme said:

.... and nobody mentioned canards yet.... :rofl: 

Ciao

Shh.

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

DUCK! 🦆

Ian

Quack. 

• Haha 7

Wow!  Beautiful work Johnny.  This will look terrific when the color coats start going on.

Beautiful picture of the castle too.  It always amazes me that you have easy access to historical buildings that are hundreds of years old.  The oldest thing in my town is from 1943, when the US govt built the town to support the Manhattan project.  And I think the nearby Whitman Mission is ancient at about 150 years old! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Andrew Patmore said:

If you ever get the chance to go to Dover castle (UK), have a look at the graffitti carved into the stonework.

Some of it is in French.

- In French ? Probably a trick of some Duke William's guy.....In the part of Normandy I was born and grown, in our popular language,  and in the name of some town or villages there are English words, in the all the day language, for instance my Grand-Ma born in 189xxx ate "godfish" instead of "coquille st Jacques", the district of Le Havre I was born is named "Aplemont" translate, "Applemount" and plenty of other example. The funniest to me is the village named" Ecoute s'il pleut" which means "listen if it rains" which is the deformation of some middleage words " The Scottish plough"

• Like 4

12 hours ago, opus999 said:

Wow!  Beautiful work Johnny.  This will look terrific when the color coats start going on.

Beautiful picture of the castle too.  It always amazes me that you have easy access to historical buildings that are hundreds of years old.  The oldest thing in my town is from 1943, when the US govt built the town to support the Manhattan project.  And I think the nearby Whitman Mission is ancient at about 150 years old! 🤣

Hundreds? We've got access to stuff that's thousands of years old ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_buildings_in_the_United_Kingdom

James

• Like 6

You could add my sister's house to that list, but that's in Guernsey. The original part of the building has been certified by a local historic building expert as built around 1280 due to the Ogie arch which has been incorporated into the structure. It was only used for a brief period so definitively dates it. The new part was added in the late 1700's.

Ian

• Like 6

23 hours ago, The Spadgent said:
On 2/20/2023 at 1:04 PM, Brandy said:

DUCK! 🦆

Ian

Quack. 

💤  :tired:  ..............Eh?  Y'wot??

Sorry folks - I was miles away.

You called?

Oh - you didn't .......

Um.....

:sleep_1:

• Haha 8

10 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

In French ? Probably a trick of some Duke William's guy.....

Well I Googled it Duckduck goed it and you are quite right IPMS19. 🤔

It wasnt some Norman aristocrat. The French graffitti at Dover was left by POWs during the Napolionic wars.

So only a couple of hundred years old.

So how is the big French triangle going?

Edited by Andrew Patmore
Afterthought
  • Like 3

On 21/02/2023 at 09:32, IPMS19 said:

- In French ? Probably a trick of some Duke William's guy.....In the part of Normandy I was born and grown, in our popular language,  and in the name of some town or villages there are English words, in the all the day language, for instance my Grand-Ma born in 189xxx ate "godfish" instead of "coquille st Jacques", the district of Le Havre I was born is named "Aplemont" translate, "Applemount" and plenty of other example. The funniest to me is the village named" Ecoute s'il pleut" which means "listen if it rains" which is the deformation of some middleage words " The Scottish plough"

Or there's the island of St. Kilda...trouble is there isn't a St Kilda. The name has evolved from something unknown.

Edited by Phoenix44
  • Like 1

- St KILDA ? Unknown in nothern Normandy as well as in the regiment .....Could be some Celtic island around Brittany? but they have probably changed the name since the origins and nowaday, "St Kilda" sells bagpipes, sadly I'm not a bagpipe blower even if I like this music...

• Like 2

That pre shading is really impressive Spad !!

I can't wait to see some paint now !!

The vac formed Meteor will be the next Spadgentery ??

Or are you going to make another test as a serial builder ??:rofl2:

And Then Orval !!:cheers:

It is the only Trappist that I don't enjoy, I don't know why...

I hope that you liked it....

If you can try the Quadruple trappe.... That's also something...

There's a story about the Orval, something like a princess that lost an union ring...

It was about to start a war... But a trout bring the ring back and saved the day....

Hence the trout with a ring on his mouth on the bottle....

Woooops, I drifted once again in old belgian legends....

Perhaps I grew old....

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Is the world coming to an end????  :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

:rofl2:

Ciao

No, no have no fear...:rofl2:

But if I can choose, I would prefer a Chimay or a Rochefort....:cheers:

:rofl2::rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 3

On 20/02/2023 at 19:53, opus999 said:

Thanks. Wait no more colours ahoy! 🎺

I do love going and visiting old places.  150 years eh. 🤔 My house is almost that old. 1900 🤗 

On 20/02/2023 at 20:01, Andrew Patmore said:

If you ever get the chance to go to Dover castle (UK), have a look at the graffitti carved into the stonework.

Some of it is in French.

I’ll check it out for sure. 😇

On 21/02/2023 at 04:08, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Johnny, really enjoyed catching up on this build--I am really looking forward to the coats over the pre-shading, you always seem to do exceptionally well at this stage.  Best, Erwin  

Thanks Erwin. Too kind dear sir…. So no pressure. 🥸😆

On 22/02/2023 at 12:56, corsaircorp said:

That pre shading is really impressive Spad !!

I can't wait to see some paint now !!

The vac formed Meteor will be the next Spadgentery ??

Or are you going to make another test as a serial builder ??:rofl2:

And Then Orval !!:cheers:

It is the only Trappist that I don't enjoy, I don't know why...

I hope that you liked it....

If you can try the Quadruple trappe.... That's also something...

There's a story about the Orval, something like a princess that lost an union ring...

It was about to start a war... But a trout bring the ring back and saved the day....

Hence the trout with a ring on his mouth on the bottle....

Woooops, I drifted once again in old belgian legends....

Perhaps I grew old....

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks Alain.  Deffo not next for the vac kit. I have a plan bought about by @Brandy but I must finish this first. 🤩 No way I’m doing two at once. I’m a one kit kinda gent. Great story about the Orval, I’ll relay it to my best bud who swears by it. (It was his surprise to me) . I really liked it. I’ll keep an eye out for the quad. 😳🤗

thanks for the banter too. Keep it up chaps. 🤩

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Weekend update! 🤩

A flurry of excitement at the bench as my favourite bit kicks into gear. Ahhhhhh, paint.

last time we had just finished the dark squiggles. Now time for some high points. 
Bring in the white!!!!

52711440440_1cf4201c7b_b.jpg

I’m just picking out the middle of the panels where more bleaching may occur.

I’m not being to precise with the strokes (passes) as I want that messy look.

52711023856_50a47bb6fb_b.jpg

Here are some close ups so you can see what I’m doing. 

52711023791_6d5fffc3ee_b.jpg

Overall I’m happy with the way it’s going.

52710500297_2a15bd34d4_b.jpg

Here are some of the underside. Obvs this will be less faded overall.

52710500122_89a00fe435_b.jpg

Now time for colour. This is going to be tricky and fun. I want her to look as worn as the real thing but not too much as I don’t like the finish so it’s going to be a bit of artistic licence on my half.

so first off choose the blue. It calls out a quit bright blue on the sheet but the underside in real life is all over the place so I’m going for somewhere in the middle but edging toward more blue as I like the contrast. 💙

52711440160_8456fd4b82_b.jpg

I’m going for the one in the middle. 🤩

Off we pop!!!

52711023511_4c6511340a_b.jpg

The thing with a dark pre shade is that it really shows through.

52711020736_a1fc7f6ff1_b.jpg

You have to trust the process and lightly pass over the bits you don’t want more and more as you build up colour. Oooh by the way you can see here where I have fixed the droop in the “elavons”? I think that’s right? 🥳 Thanks @Brandy and @Fritag.

Eventually we arrive here.

52711020716_7e645da275_b.jpg

just a nice amount of wear but a hell of a long way to go. 
I had to do some ad hoc filling as this bit was just a little too much for my liking.

52711499008_9c89db40d1_b.jpg

And there we are. I bit of white added to tone it down.

52711281429_b857fda17a_b.jpg

And in a more natural light.

52711281399_1c7f036b5e_b.jpg

Weathering and filters and lord knows what else before I’m done. 🥸🥳

With a blast of TS-13 you can see what a good job the Mr Levelling thinners has done to the Tamiya acrylics.

52711498978_d6d6fae072_b.jpg

That got left to dry before moving on. 

More done tonight but I’m pooped so I’ll continue tomorrow.

Thanks for checking in on my little build and I wish you all a happy weekend.

all comments welcomed.

Take care and as always. Happy modelling.

Johnny.

• Like 22

On 2/24/2023 at 11:31 AM, Silenoz said:

Mmmmhhhh chimay... the grande reserve (fermentée en barricques) albeit expensive, for me the best beer in the world

You're a man of great taste !!

Do you know the blue 500, it was previously sell in huge bottles, just like the Grande Reserve

But now, at the shop of the monastery, one can find bottles of 50cl....

That's great since, opening a grande reserve when you're alone mean being stoned ....

39 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks. Wait no more colours ahoy! 🎺

I do love going and visiting old places.  150 years eh. 🤔 My house is almost that old. 1900 🤗 

I’ll check it out for sure. 😇

Thanks Erwin. Too kind dear sir…. So no pressure. 🥸😆

Thanks Alain.  Deffo not next for the vac kit. I have a plan bought about by @Brandy but I must finish this first. 🤩 No way I’m doing two at once. I’m a one kit kinda gent. Great story about the Orval, I’ll relay it to my best bud who swears by it. (It was his surprise to me) . I really liked it. I’ll keep an eye out for the quad. 😳🤗

thanks for the banter too. Keep it up chaps. 🤩

There are more stories like that one...

The oldest part of CC's castle was already standing on the cliff in 1780....

Now, looking at your post...

Waoooow !! great result Spad !!

It look really impressive, Congratulations !!

Impressed CC:clap:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

You're a man of great taste !!

Do you know the blue 500, it was previously sell in huge bottles, just like the Grande Reserve

But now, at the shop of the monastery, one can find bottles of 50cl....

That's great since, opening a grande reserve when you're alone mean being stoned ....

There are more stories like that one...

The oldest part of CC's castle was already standing on the cliff in 1780....

Now, looking at your post...

Waoooow !! great result Spad !!

It look really impressive, Congratulations !!

Impressed CC:clap:

I know that you mean about bottle size. I bought a stout from the shop / bar we were in last week. 14% so a real beast. it’s the size of a wine bottle, I’ll need to share with friends. Any one got a glass? 😇

7 hours ago, hendie said:

Witchcraft that be.  But a damned fine mess nonetheless.

Thanks Alan, just the scribblings of a loon. 
(my work, not your comment) 😆

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well it seems I’m awake again. Out again in old Blighty today, but before that there’s unfinished business.

Masks were next on the agenda after the top coat had dried.

52711020721_49ac4b0356_b.jpg

And tail side.

52711020726_345ac2efef_b.jpg

Lovely. Now I’ve been thinking about the ware and tear on this and also thinking about decals. Now there are a few options. Paint ‘em. (Steady on @giemme) cut bits out before sliding them on. Or I saw this while cleaning yesterday.

52711284464_34b9e886dc_b.jpg

hmmm I wonder if I can sand back a decal to give what in after??? Some tests are afoot.

Any road I used the trusty mr mask Neo to mess up the demarcation line.

52711024001_5e252436d2_b.jpg

then went at it with a mix of paints and styles. (I’m going all over first so I can have this coat show through the darker one when chipped / flaked / faded.)

first coat more juicy.

52711502208_9d3bdf699c_b.jpg

Then more of a “buff” duller coat.

52711284339_78258bbd54_b.jpg

Then more darker juice but just in the middle of the panels to bring it back.

you can see what I mean here. Outer wing panels done inner not so much.

52711023871_a9545d49d0_b.jpg

This is feeling good to my eye.

52710500347_8f3b8798e2_b.jpg

A nice starting point for the rest of the cRaZy.

52711501943_0a0aff36c2_b.jpg

And everything looking seamless. (Phew)

Any lumps or errors will be lost in the coming madness but for now we are in the eye.

52711440190_06fef38210_b.jpg

I’m liking the dark mess showing through. After we are dry I need to mask for the darker camo.

So here we are.

52710500097_fafbc268a5_b.jpg

Still night time in this shot and I haven’t seen her in this mornings light.

fingers crossed it’s not changed.

More soon chums.

Take care and as always. Happy modelling.

Johnny.

• Like 22