Long Nose Saga - Double Phantom Build

I have built a few Phantoms but mainly FGR2s, a D, a J and a couple of RFs.  No long noses though.  I always wanted to do an F-4G Wild Weasel in Euro One camo and I picked up an ERTL kit some time ago.  Then someone said you can’t build a Weasel from that, it’s got a hard wing.  So I had to scratch convert it to a slatted wing.  It’s got Eduard etch in the cockpit, Quickboost resin seats and Milspec decals.  Oh, and I put in lights too.  Wing tip port & starboard lights, nose wheel taxi light, behind the instrument panel light and flashing tail anti collision light.  I also got the Hataka paint set and used an airbrush for the first time in years.

While looking at the Weasel I compared it to the ESCI F-4E/F kit in my stash.  It’s the same kit without the Weasel sprue!.  So I thought I might as well do the two together.  Same scratch slatted wing, same lights, seats and cockpit etch but kit Luftwaffe marks as an F model and Humbrol / Tamiya rattle cans to paint.  I did a variation on the Norm 72 splinter camo.  I found a picture of my subject in this scheme with white rudder, tail and spine panel.  Then an intriguing shot of another airframe with the same white but a Norm 81 tail.  Looked good so I did it with the kit decals.  Not sure if it actually happened to this airframe but I quite like it.
So the basic kit for both goes together well enough & nice recessed panel lines.  Here they both are with the lights on

w7LzcHT.jpg

This is my reference pic for the F-4F - credit to the photographer as watermarked

rHylfVc.jpg

And this is her with my Luftwaffe RF-4E

PpBrFtx.jpg

K3gcdkx.jpg

qOAEhSJ.jpg

And this is the Spangdahlem Weasel with its little friend F-16C

dz74n6x.jpg

TTcdOnT.jpg

A pair of sharks teeth

WbKzHMF.jpg

And a couple in daylight

HkZGq0f.jpg

TUcsGPr.jpg

VJFwXtU.jpg

kk5mohA.jpg

5cHhiim.jpg

hH8ND3N.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 34

Great job(s).  Your jets really look the part.  Thanks for posting the WiP so we could enjoy the build with you.  

Looking forward to whatever comes next.  

1 minute ago, Mark V said:

Great job(s).  Your jets really look the part.  Thanks for posting the WiP so we could enjoy the build with you.  

Looking forward to whatever comes next.  

Cheers Mark.  Mulling that one over at the moment.  It’s between a F-117, F-104G or one of my Mirages (2000 or IV).  I think.  Could be something else!

7 hours ago, Toryu said:

Nice collection! The greatest jet fighter of all times, and several of them - superb!

Cheers.  I put the F on the Phantom & F-16 shelf in the loft.  No Weasel in the pic but 3 RAF, 2 Luftwaffe and 2 other US Phantoms in 1/48

5a6JZFm.jpg

• Like 3

Just joined and wanted to give you a shout out as my favorite subject is also the F4, my favorite armor is the Isreali Merkava which I see hiding down near the floor. Your Luftwaffe jet brings back memory's.  It was the first phantom I built back in the early 80's and was that horrible Revell 1/48 kit lol! Love your hanger , superb.

Cheers @Charles68 yes it’s a Merkava I built, must be about 30 years ago!  One of the few models that survived moving from my parents & through various houses since.  The HAS itself creeps in to shot stood on its end bottom right.