Airfix Avro Anson 1/48 scale

galgos

This should be an interesting build of one of my favourite aeroplanes, the wonderful and oft neglected Anson.  My father was latterly a staff pilot at No.24 Bombing, Gunnery and Navigation School based at Moffat in S Rhodesia so flew many, many hours in Ansons, though sadly this is the only photograph he took of one:

txFSu3.jpg

The original picture is a tiny thing, about 8cms x 5cms and browned with age, so this isn't the best quality!  I'm pleased that the new Airfix kit gives the option for a non-turreted Anson though as far as I can see on first glance the instructions don't really acknowledge this fact?  I've never known what to make of the colours of "LA", but Dad was a keen artist and did this watercolour of one:

m6E49q.jpg

which ties in quite well with this one:

qJnKN3.jpg

I haven't built in this scale for a long time, preferring 1/32 (old eyes and fingers!) but some years ago I did a couple of Classic Airframe Ansons:

TxeIfv.jpg

Hj68If.jpg

Zk0OUd.jpg

EVHQaG.jpg

Tj1kBb.jpg

VprQJd.jpg

.....the latter with a scratch-built Bristol turret.  So, we'll see how the much-lauded Airfix kit shapes up.....!

• Like 20

31 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Interesting astrodome on your Dad's, presumably used for navigator training.  White top to the cabin?  Can you read the serial?

Sadly I can’t Graham, but I presume it allows for sextant training. Dad put serial numbers in his log book but not code letters.

ZNROcf.jpg

• Like 7

I had a look in Air Britain's The Anson File, which is pretty comprehensive - except it seems for aircraft in the Rhodesian Air Training Group, which leads me to suspect that records did not survive the end of the war.   There is not even a mention of No.24 BGNS.  I do have another source which might help, but in view of the above I don't have much hope.  The book does have that photo of N5091, captioned as being with the Central Flyng School, Southern Rhodesia, 1944-45.  The record in TAF for N5091 simply says 6 SFTS to RATG via South Africa 9.4.41.  There is of course no mention of 21 SFTS nor the SR CFS in the list of Anson operators. 

Just to be really annoying, the Tiger Moth serials appear to be missing a digit, unless there was somehow a re-serialling.  I seem to recall reading that a number of Tigers were supplied from Australia, but apart for the reliability of such a memory it doesn't fit the Australian serial system either.

Found a photo in Ian Hall's old Almark book, but this is an earlier aircraft still in camouflage and squadron codes.

I had more hope from Air Britain's Flying Training and Support Units, which does at least give some information on the units but has nothing relevant. 

• Thanks 1

Yes I have the Anson File too Graham, very little in there about the RATG. Dave Newnham wrote a series of articles between 2012 and 2014 for Air Britain about the Rhodesian Air Training Group and generally speaking it’s very good but the Anson content is disappointing, pretty much what’s in the Anson file. Alan Hall’s lovely little book is very sparse about Rhodesia! 
You’re right, 3 digit serial Tiger Moths were Australian-built, the digits sometimes preceded by DX but not always. 

I’ve done two further scans of the Anson picture on my highest resolution (1200dpi) but the serial number of LA is no clearer:

yp4PH0.jpg

w9kZKP.jpg

Not too surprising really. The flightline in the distance includes a Hurricane and some Fairey Battles, used as target tugs, the latter confirms this was 24 BGNS Moffat.

• Like 4

I've made a start on the Anson, and it's been a very favourable impression.  The plastic is on the soft side, which means it's easy to trim and sand, very few ejector pin marks as yet to fill and very clear positive locations which has meant a simple smooth build to date:

8eYNo5.jpg

oVvcmX.jpg

Those of you who have built either the Classic Airframes or Special Hobby offering will know the angst that their resin cast frameworks cause, very fragile and usually warped!  No flash on any of Airfix's frames, nor anywhere else for that matter.

I couldn’t resist a cheeky look at how it’s going to fit into the fuselage…..again very “positive”! 

63AFG1.jpg

A couple of shots of the real seats:

nNj97i.jpg

kO7s6c.jpg

WaJKH9.jpg

SyLXQu.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Following this one Max, especially as I have one in the stash myself.

I found the parts on the sprue very fiddly to begin with Mike, after years of 1/32 (mostly resin) but soon got used to it and looking forward to tomorrow to get on further.  You'll love it.

• Like 2

More work on the Anson cockpit, and my admiration for the thought that has gone into this kit increases, small touches like the blank that fits into the floor in front of the second pilot position if you don’t want the extra wheel: 

35UwDq.jpg

and the construction of the IP, console and rudder pedals:

rjpa1a.jpg

and then it all fits beautifully in place:

WRULSq.jpg

9WCfJt.jpg

ZLT6Ge.jpg

q6DFQd.jpg

and this is where we’re heading:

gwVysG.jpg

OEqY7T.jpg

Time for some painting I think, most of the units in my pictures are placed but not secured…..which in turn shows how good the fit is! 

• Like 14

Hi Max,

I've been planning on tackling this kit as a means of restarting my mojo and I have to say that your build is really firing up my enthusiasm! It helps of course that I have the assurance that you'll be blazing the trail for me and finding all the less admirable aspects of the kit, should they exist, for which I am truly grateful.

Watching with keen interest...

Craig.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Hi Max,

I've been planning on tackling this kit as a means of restarting my mojo and I have to say that your build is really firing up my enthusiasm! It helps of course that I have the assurance that you'll be blazing the trail for me and finding all the less admirable aspects of the kit, should they exist, for which I am truly grateful.

Watching with keen interest...

Craig.

Very happy to be a trailblazer Craig, just off to do some primer work on the cockpit.

• Like 2

So, as I mentioned to Craig, some primer work on the cockpit.  I had to get a full understanding of how it all went together so included the side walls of the fuselage as well as the framing in a dry fit.  And.....shock horror....the first tiny "less than perfect" fit but not a game changer!  

gW0g3h.jpg

There's a gap between the side walls and floor by the main spar, Airfix go to some length to warn about this fit:

w7hpYX.jpg

This is caused because the thicker part of the main spar extends a couple of mm too far outboard.  Two solutions are possible; file the thicker part back to match the thinner outboard width or, as I'll do, widen that slot in the sidewall slightly.

A couple of other views:, all dry fits and not corrected:

EnxCql.jpg

The radio/wireless unit is nicely detailed with knobs, switches and dials, as was the instrument panel:

Sikxeu.jpg

but Airfix also provide decals for the faces of these units, which clearly are not going to fit over the "bumpy" surfaces:

2td1nQ.jpg

so I decided to sand off the face of the IP in order to use the decal, but the wireless unit I'll be hand painting.  So having got all that clear in my head, time for primer:

ZdCkjB.jpg

This is MRP Fine Black Primer.  I like to prime in black because it enables me to gauge how much to build up the top coat of whatever colour I'm using to get the effect I want.  That, hopefully will be tomorrow!

• Like 16

Not a great deal of time today for modelling but I've been checking references, these are pictures I took of an Anson cockpit in the Australian War Museum when I went over there 3 years ago, marvellous place if ever you get the chance!

vRVFAg.jpg

CPcDpO.jpg

nCBI4w.jpg

V216ID.jpg

2OhrpF.jpg

qVDtdU.jpg

KTEmVp.jpg

From memory the cockpit was behind perspex so not straightforward for photography which is why one or two are a bit blurry!  Useful for colour references though.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

This kit looks magnificent and you've made a wonderful start, the importance of test fitting everything is very well shown!

Is the MRP black primer airbrush ready or do you need to thin it first? I love their paints and might have to investigate the primer too.

Those reference photos are gold dust, lots of scope for scratched details. Looking forward to seeing what you will do.

Richie