Maschinene Krieger Falke and the decimation of the spares box

I recently posted this on the acquisitions thread. I resisted for a couple of weeks but broke plastic last night. I'm normally an armour guy, but after a two year battle with motivation I decided something a bit different was in order. 

Enter stage left.

spacer.png

I know nothing about the Maschinen Krieger universe so Im giving myself a free hand with this. Let the greebly weebly woos commence. 

First thing I did was remove the larger bits from the spruces. The plastic is hard. Was left with this.

spacer.png

Having looked through the sprues Im in two minds about this kit - the fit of the pilot is laughable - but its cool and there's patch. included. 

The kit supplied cockpit is a bit spartan so a few bits and bobs went in most wont be seen after its closed up, but its a good way of convincing myself that was a good idea to horde all those unuse Dragon parts. I don't think ill be winning any awards for the wiring harness. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think the end point here will be some sort of bare metal puttied finish (similar to the photos of end war me262 and he162s) on the booms and maybe some sort of grey green raf camo on the cockpit.. Looking at the panel lines on this thing, I think Im going to need to learn to scribe.  

Ta for looking. 

• Like 14

Matt, the beauty of kreiger is that whatever you do, no one can tell you that it's wrong! 

The cockpit looks like it's coming on nicely to me. As you say, most of it won't be seen, but you'll know you did it.

I've seen Milliput padding on the inner cockpit walls, bits of old watches in there and lots more wiring. It's great fun.

The panel lines on the booms are a hangover from their source. The old Revell 1/32nd P-38 Lightning. Add or delete them as you see fit.

The paint schemes available are literally limitless. I did one in Gulf Porsche colours!

If you have any questions just send me a PM or ask on here.

Have a search for this site below and see what you can find. There's a lot to see! Cheers, Pete.

http://maschinenkrueger.com

• Like 1

Thanks Pete. Signed up there this morning and had a nose around. It's nice to see all the different takes on these kits. 

Got some paint on the cockpit. didn't get to finish today, but we have the jist. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Turns out a 1/32 F16 nozzle is near enough a drop fit.......

• Like 13

At some point Im going to have to stop fiddling with the interior, but as im still waiting on belts, I cant close up. 

I've added a bit of air con and a couple of stencils and valve heads for the hoses. 

spacer.png

Buttoned up looks OK. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I messed up the decals for the control panel. They seemed very brittle. The chisel came out and were going all F35 with this. Its not running vista, the plastic is a bit swirly. 

spacer.png

• Like 17

I notice your spares box has some Yalkult yogurt cartons. I read somewhere that the person who scratchbuilt his model of a Falke years ago (before Hasegewa produced their actual production kit) used an empty Yalkult carton for part of the craft's rear assembly, which appears to be why the kit has that shape. Anyone know if that's true?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Peter2 said:

used an empty Yalkult carton for part of the craft's rear assembly, which appears to be why the kit has that shape. Anyone know if that's true?

16 hours ago, Yg Models said:

btw, UK has Yalkult?

The UK does indeed have Yakult. For quite some time now.

Yes, The Father of Maschinen kreiger, Kow Yokoyama Sensei, as he is known, did use a Yakult bottle for the engine base.

I used to have the Falke build/information book. All the relevant information is in there, if you can find a copy. It is mostly in Japanese though.

Other odd bits on this machine, the 'flaps' on the sides are cut down 1/32 Douglas Dauntless flaps. The Anti gravity units (3 underneath) are 

cut down table tennis (ping pong) balls. I think engine parts underneath are Porsche or motorbike engine bits.

It gets dafter, On the Lunadiver Stingray, the large flaps are Porsche door panels. The tail is Ta152 with A4 Skyraider fuselage halves on each side.

Just hit the spares box and enjoy yourselves guys. No one can say it's wrong!

• Like 1

..... Random 1/72 tank tracks everywhere, some king tiger mud flaps and a couple of flak cases in the cockpit. I spent a good while looking for what parts were borrowed. Thing is when you see them, you can't unsee them 😂.

Not sure what Im Going to do with the engine. The plastic on the yakult bottles is absurdly thin. I test painted one after managing to sand through one of the edges trying to kill it's seam line.

I think half the fun with this isn't what's in the box - because there isn't much - but the opportunity to go a bit wild with it.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 7:33 PM, the other matt said:

The plastic on the yakult bottles is absurdly thin

You could just use that as a base. Clad it with plastic card. Scribe lines onto the card & it will curl up. Once dry, a smear of filler and there you go.

Or maybe scrape the mould lines off of the bottle?

Why didn't I think of that. This is probably the way to go I think. I shall ponder this over a few festive brandys. 

These are the belts I'm using.  I've been on twelve hour twilights the last week, so these are staying put until I regain control of my hands. 

spacer.png

1/24, but I don't think the difference is particularly obvious. 

This part goes on the left side of the cockpit wall. Some sort of instrument panel. Painted it up, wasnt fussed. Here's where the heresy starts.

spacer.png

So this is what happened. 

spacer.png

I'm telling myself that this is some sort of avionics rack that has been stripped out for whatever reason and not just an excuse for playing with lead wire. 

I think this is the time to stop fiddling, get the belts on and call it a day. 

I love how my nokia potato camera puts every parallel line on the wonk.

• Like 8

I think I've reached the point of moving on and I'm calling the cab done. The belts went together fine though its confirmed that I'll never be an aircraft modeller. The cockpit was only ever meant to be a bit of a distraction while some paint arrived and it's kind of turned into its own thing. 

Heres where we landed. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am going to allow myself a couple of touch ups here and there, but I think Im done. 

And this is how little is visible 😅

spacer.png

spacer.png

Engine next. I spent a bit of time poking around another yakult bottle and I think I was must have been being a little heavy handed with the last one. the plastics thin, but OK given a bit of care. We'll see. Igot a week off to ponder on this anyway. 

Thanks for dropping in. 

• Like 11

Ta very much.

There is a plan of sorts here. 

spacer.png

The tops come off to receive a nozzle. putty at the base to provide a bit of a flat gluing surface, then flood with superglue. surface detail I this ill be keeping minimal. 

Sounds good, but we all know what happens to plans......

• Like 6

Itll take more than a couple of Yakult I fear. 😅

Thanks Hunter. Buttoned up or not, after doing a Panther interior I'm just thankful to get the guts done and dusted in under 6 months. 

Well I planned the plan and this is what I came up with for the engine.  I'm in two minds about it so the nozzle isnt glued in yet and I have another bottle in reserve. Time to walk away and ponder. If I keep, on with this one, theres going to be a spaced armour/ skid pan on the bottom similar to the top and much, much touching up.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Apologies, not good pictures.

• Like 10

Well I pondered. fiddled and broke a few things between going to work. and am stopping here until its installed. I haven't used the Mig crystal colours before. turns out the coats I applied were incredibly fragile and flaked off in a big way when getting the nozzle glued in. Had to go rather heavy handed with another coat, but itll dull down with a bit of oils on it. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Still a couple of things I want to do, but thats mostly it. Improvement on the kit part? Dunno. Jury's still out. 

spacer.png

• Like 7