1/72 Valom C-46D Commando "Operation Varsity"

A pretty model of a pretty plane! :goodjob:

I know that the C-47 bore the brunt of the workload, but I like the Commando, and your model have confirmed that! :D

I still have - somewhere in the Attic-Triangle - the old Williams Bros kit and perhaps it's about time I found it and - dare I say it (say it,  say it!) build it! :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Dear fellow Britmodellers,

here's my 1/72 Valom C-46D Commando, built from the box.

Painted with Mr.Hobby acrylics, pictures by Wolfgang Rabel.

a-DSC5189.jpg

This heavy bird was the largest twin-engine aircraft of the USAAF in WW2, and could carry twice the load of a C-47.

Markings represent a participant of "Operation Varsity" in March 1945.

a-DSC5190.jpg

a-DSC5193.jpg

a-DSC5194.jpg

a-DSC5195.jpg

a-DSC5198.jpg

a-DSC5199.jpg

a-DSC5206.jpg

a-DSC5211.jpg

a-DSC5212.jpg

a-DSC5213.jpg

a-DSC5214.jpg

a-DSC5219.jpg

a-DSC5222.jpg

a-DSC5191.jpg

a-DSC5204.jpg

a-DSC5208.jpg

a-DSC5234.jpg

a-DSC5236.jpg

a-DSC5243.jpg

Thank you foir your interest!

Roman

Well done.

Alain

6 hours ago, M.T.Dolby said:

I love Valom kits, we’re so so lucky to have the range they do even if they require a little extra work sometimes!

Valom kits offer a lot of "modelling fun" for the money.

It took me over 4 months to complete the model.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Screech said:

May I ask how was the build? 

I wish you wouldn't ask...

Unfortunately I can't say much positive about the Valom kit, other than that it's better detailed than the old Williams Brothers model from the 1970's.

The fit of the main assemblies is okay, a wing spar ensures correct alignment. Unfortunately, almost all parts suffer from mould misalignment, resulting in lots of correction work. Some panel lines are clogged, surfaces are rough and have numerous defects, such as small bumps and scratches.

To make matters worse, the model slipped out of my hand while grinding and slammed onto the ground, resulting in a small crack in the upper left windshield!

I'd recommend this kit to all masochists, those who want to become one, or those who absolutely must have a C-46 on their display shelf.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Operation Varsity is a specific interest of mine as the majority of the aircraft departed theUK from airfields close to where I live.

I agree with other posts that this is a great built.

Luckily for me the Commando does not seem to have flown locally, £70 for the kit is out of my budget, and looking the comments about the work involved and Vallom kits in general it might affect my sanity. Just hoping no one finds a reference to it's use in Essex.

5 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

I'd recommend this kit to all masochists, those who want to become one, or those who absolutely must have a C-46 on their display shelf.

Soooo.... you're saying I have a chance? :P

Love the OD/NG coat you've given it. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

I wish you wouldn't ask...

Unfortunately I can't say much positive about the Valom kit, other than that it's better detailed than the old Williams Brothers model from the 1970's.

The fit of the main assemblies is okay, a wing spar ensures correct alignment. Unfortunately, almost all parts suffer from mould misalignment, resulting in lots of correction work. Some panel lines are clogged, surfaces are rough and have numerous defects, such as small bumps and scratches.

To make matters worse, the model slipped out of my hand while grinding and slammed onto the ground, resulting in a small crack in the upper left windshield!

Sorry to read about your tough build.  In the end it turned out really nice.

Guess I'll keep the Williams Bros. kit after all.

Cheers

15 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

"modelling fun"

Indeed they do!  You've done a superb job on this.  Bravo!  Just a little trouble with decal silvering, but that's no criticism of your work, which is stellar.  Your execution takes this subject to a new level!

It is not often to see a C-46 built as most favor the C-47 as it gets most of the hype from WWII histories/stories.  Having built a few Valom kits (survived may be a better word), your build reflects perseverance and dedication to finish the build.  From the final product you cannot tell it was an effort to get it done.  Just a gorgeous build.  Thanks for sharing.

A nightmare of a kit turned out great Roman.  You have my respect for many reasons but to be able to turn this kit into a beautiful rendition defies logic.  This is superb craftsmanship at it`s finest!!!!!! :worthy:

Mike