1/72, 1/48 & 1/32 - Martin XB-51 by One Man Model (3D printed models) - in project - release in 2023 ?

Homebee

One Man Model is to release 1/72nd, 1/48th and 1/32nd Martin XB-51 3D printed kits in 2023.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=pfbid0mq8nHEJAAtrK2ccso3p6bCQwmTVrervV1cHTff8516crbZQfNdJLgrwXbY3yWxAjl&id=100005590215920

(...) New kit next Kent is the XB-51, which is American X-bomber. (...)

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72, 1/48 & 1/32 - Martin XB-51 by One Man Model (3D printed models) - in project - release in 2023

This guy makes interesting subjects, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired especially considering the prices. The FDM printed parts look really crude. The one build I've followed for a 1/48 P-3C required an enormous amount of cleanup to just get a smooth surface finish and then still needed scribing. Fit of parts was also reported to be poor as the FDM parts had poor dimensional accuracy and tolerances were too tight, i.e. the interior wouldn't fit inside the fuselage. If he switched from FDM to SLA printing for all parts it might be worthwhile. It would clean up the surface finish substantially, but even his SLA printed detail parts show a lack of experience working in that medium. 

On 12/7/2022 at 4:48 PM, Steve McArthur said:

This guy makes interesting subjects, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired especially considering the prices. The FDM printed parts look really crude. The one build I've followed for a 1/48 P-3C required an enormous amount of cleanup to just get a smooth surface finish and then still needed scribing. Fit of parts was also reported to be poor as the FDM parts had poor dimensional accuracy and tolerances were too tight, i.e. the interior wouldn't fit inside the fuselage. If he switched from FDM to SLA printing for all parts it might be worthwhile. It would clean up the surface finish substantially, but even his SLA printed detail parts show a lack of experience working in that medium. 

I'm 61 and unlikey to see a 1/48 injected kit so this and some applied skill will make me a happy bunny. Two model-makers I know have built very nice models from OMM kits I hope to be another. It's been an expensive year but my bucket list is very short now and this in 1/48 is on it. To each their own but Thanks for the caution/advice,

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
On 12/7/2022 at 4:48 PM, Steve McArthur said:

If he switched from FDM to SLA printing for all parts it might be worthwhile.

And that would send the cost skyrocketing - as well as making things a lot heavier and bonds more brittle.

FDM is absolutely the right process for the larger kits/scales - with details done on a resin LCD/SLA printer perhaps. I use both an FDM and LCD printers here - playing each to their strengths. I even have a complete 1:32 Boeing P-8A Poseidon I'm working on - airframe parts printed on the FDM printer in HIPS - strong, light and easy to work with. I'll do the detail parts on my resin printer. There's no way on this planet I'd print something that size in resin!

The layer lines really are not a big issue - if you have a little patience, a can of primer and some abrasive material to hand.

I'm building his 1:32 Andover at present - and really enjoying it - probably the most modelling 'fun' I've had in years. Far easier than a vac, or resin kit - especially for something rather large.

The value is very good IMHO - given that you are getting something almost unique that would be almost impossible to justify by any other means.

Expect injection moulded quality and you'll be disappointed. Expect a canvas of basic shapes that will need working on and you might be pleasantly surprised - I was.  :)

Iain

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72, 1/48 & 1/32 - Martin XB-51 by One Man Model (3D printed models) - in project - release in 2023 ?