Chase me! The Bugatti 100 Air Racer in 1:48

Mike

14 hours ago, hairystick said:

Johnson's Multi-surface polish, from Sainsburys.

I don't know the secret handshake to obtain genuine Klear.:whistle:

:lol: That's the "new" Klear.  The only way to get old Klear is to either be bequeathed it by a fellow modeller, or to pay whatever silly price people might be charging on auction sites.  I'm lucky enough to have 2 or 3 bottles knocking about, but that's just because I was around when it was, and kept buying another one even though I've never finished a bottle in my life.  I'm not sure whether the new stuff is susceptible, or what, but we seem to be using pretty much the same things and yet getting different results.  Weird :hmmm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mike said:

The only way to get old Klear is to either be bequeathed it by a fellow modeller, or to pay whatever silly price people might be charging on auction sites. 

Or option #3: Develop a time machine...:idea:

Edit: Actually I did use a time machine to buy that bottle. 24hr flights - each way to buy it!

Edited by hairystick
  • Haha 2

Morning Mike!

I’m following this one for sure! My favourite non-military aircraft by a mile!

I’ll be adding this one to the stash on my next visit to the London Hannants shop. What paint will you be using for the final finish?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hairystick said:

Or option #3: Develop a time machine...:idea:

Edit: Actually I did use a time machine to buy that bottle. 24hr flights - each way to buy it!

:lol: You know, I intended to mention option #3 when I started writing that, but totally forgot by the time I'd written a sentence or two :doh:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mark said:

What paint will you be using for the final finish?

Not sure yet Marcus.  I'm tempted to go for the blue, but some weirdo wants me to consider red.  :shrug: Whatever it is, I'll get the gloss (hopefully) with gloss clearcoats and a polish... I hope it works :pray:

• Like 1

It would look pretty racy in red, but I think the blue is good too. Mr Paint recommended MRP-188 (Blue Angels Blue) as their equivalent to the colours that were recommended in the instructions - I think one was from Gunze. It's a fairly dark blue. I was going to use this build as a test bed for MRP since I've been hearing such good things about them and they were the most recommended when I asked about ready-for-airbrush paints.

MRP-188 is a bit difficult to get in the UK though. It seems that same code used to be a Ferrari Red - Rosso Corsa I think - and then they either discontinued the red or reclassified it, added the blue, but didn't tell the UK stockists (at least the ones I got in touch with) so none of them have been ordering MRP-188 since it became blue.

In the end I also needed a brighter blue for another build so I got some Tamiya Brilliant Blue in a spray can and I'll use that on my Bugatti instead because there are no other projects it will be useful on in my stash.... unless I want to build a Pepsi Concorde perhaps 🤔 so I'll find some other project to trial MRP on.

• Thanks 1

Great to see this WIP.

I have the same kit in my stash and I am looking forward to building it as well, so good to see someone else due the mistakes for me ;)

The model looks good so far, with some nice work and good detailing. Nice write up too!

I had the Planet Model model before (but sold it to a local guy who loves resin kits) to fund the plastic one.

Having had both, I prefer the plastic one, particularly cockpit and the wing roots and tail are better here, but in defense of the resin kit, it has fewer parts and is a more sold block of resin that will allow for some detailing. If you like sculpting resin models then its still something to consider. It also comes with two vacuum canopies.

Also, I have had problems with masking tape reacting with "Looks like glass' dip so I guess it depends on the chemicals.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kiseca said:

MRP-188 is a bit difficult to get in the UK though.

Thanks for that - the Gunze option is a bit full-on blue for my liking, so I might either have to wait for the MRP to come in stock, or do some mooching about to find it :hmmm:

Looking at the FS number, FS15050, it looks like Gunze actually do that exact shade as C/H328, depending on whether you want acrylics or not.  I've just uncapped it for the first time, and it's quite a bit darker than H15, but neither of them have that slight whitish tint of the modern version.  On the boxtop it looks substantially lighter, but on the profiles it's darker.  Some of the pics of the replica are a similar shade to what's in the pot, but others are substantially lighter.  I did a quick google of "Bugatti Blue", and the shade that comes up is of the lighter variety, like the Veyron below:

12111a-scaled.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

How about French racing blue, haven't bugattis traditionally used that colour? A chap at Telford who was just about to embark on a small army of SBS caudron kits suggested zero paints french blue, which in turn suggests that is not dissimilar to Tamiya TS10.

Funnily enough, I've just bought a bottle of the following, which is Bugatti Blue from 1935, and is very close to French Racing Blue.  It's of use to anyone building Italeri's new big-scale Bugatti that's just been released too :)

Link to Hiroboy

• Like 2

Regarding Bugatti aircraft colour, if you visit the Prescott Bugatti Museum, there is a piece of the original blue painted fabric from the plane donated by Don Lefferts, and I can say its significantly darker than the car above.

I have a really bad photo of it, but hesitate to show because it such a bad photo! The piece in question is diplayed inside a crinkly plastic folder which is inside a glass case......

Malc.

• Like 1

Just now, Malc2 said:

Regarding Bugatti aircraft colour, if you visit the Prescott Bugatti Museum, there is a piece of the original blue painted fabric from the plane donated by Don Lefferts, and I can say its significantly darker than the car above.

I have a really bad photo of it, but hesitate to show because it such a bad photo! The piece in question is diplayed inside a crinkly plastic folder which is inside a glass case......

Malc.

I wouldn't be too shy, we're all friends here ;)

I think the 100P was a darker blue than the cars, which would have been in French racing blue. I can't remember if it was actually painted in period before it went into storage, or if the blue paint it did get was when it was restored many years later. A quick google shows someone on Britmodellers said it wasn't painted in period.

To me that means you can paint it French Blue, which is the most likely colour it would have been had Bugatti gotten around to painting it, or a darker, more medium blue to match the colour it eventually actually did get, and be right either way. Or red. Or yellow. Ettore liked yellow, apparently.

20 minutes ago, Malc2 said:

Difficult to say, the most reliable information I have found is here:-

https://www.bugattiaircraft.com/kalempa.htm

Malc.

That's useful, thanks :yes: I chose to use this following paragraph to be my guide ;)

Though it never had a chance to fly, the Bugatti racer was a remarkable step forward in many phases of aeronautical design. The highly streamlined fuselage was built up of wood "sandwich", buttressed by rectangular box sections. On the polyhedral frame, layers of balsa wood were glued and carved to achieve the proper aerodynamic shape, Then hardwood rails and supports were set into the balsa wood to take concentrated loads at points such as the engine mounts and canopy, after which the structure was completed with a covering of tulip wood strips that were sanded and filled, then covered with linen and doped Bugatti blue.

Yes, that was my understanding too, however some people have previously tried to argue otherwise!

The blue of the Prescott fabric by coincidence is very close to the blue I painted my Tyrrell 006 with, which is Halfords Rover Tahiti blue.

M.

1 minute ago, Malc2 said:

Yes, that was my understanding too, however some people have previously tried to argue otherwise!

The blue of the Prescott fabric by coincidence is very close to the blue I painted my Tyrrell 006 with, which is Halfords Rover Tahiti blue.

M.

I've ordered some Bugatti Blue from Hiroboy, so I'm gonna go with it, partly because I think that's the monkey, but also because if it's too dark the detail won't show up. :hmmm:

I would think that the Bugatti 100P would be painted with the regular Bugatti blue as well.

As we know Mr. Bugatti himself was a character of quality, but also marketing, so would no doubt paint his planes as his cars.

As an aside though; I wonder how the plane would have been painted had it been finished and raced; I am thinking of markings.

It would have had to have the national registration number, a race number, and I would wager to guess, the Bugatti brand name or logo somewhere.

A gigant "BUGATTI" that covers the whole underside of the wing, for instance.

• Like 1