Bugatti 100 Racer Masks (M48011 for Special Hobby) 1:48

Mike

Bugatti 100 Racer Masks (M48011 for Special Hobby)

1:48 Special Mask by Special Hobby

boxtop.jpg

I have literally just finished tapping out the review of the new 1:48 scale Bugatti 100 Racer, and thought it prudent, kind and sensible to let you know about this handy set of masks that will allow you to mask up the crystal-clear canopy before you get the paint out, to ensure that it stays clear and bright throughout.  Like the rest of the new range of canopy masks from Special Hobby, the set arrives in a re-sealable clear flat-pack that is protected from the inside by a sheet of card and a set of paper instructions that double as the header card, with the masking material displayed at the front.

instructions.jpg

Supplied on a sheet of yellow kabuki tape, these pre-cut masks supply you with a full set of masks for the canopy, with compound curved handled by using frame hugging masks, while the highly curved gaps are in-filled with either liquid mask or offcuts from the background tape.  In addition, you get a set of hub/tyre masks for the main wheels, allowing you to cut the demarcation perfectly with little effort.

Highly recommended, especially if you’re not keen on masking.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 2

I've just applied this mask set to the kit canopy, and the results are excellent, as you can see below:

spacer.png

The largest canopy section is supplied as two C-shaped frame edge masks because of its compound curves that make sticking tape flat to it difficult without puckering or creases, with the centre to be masked with liquid mask or scrap tape.  Top tip, if you cut out the spare tape (or weeds as they call it in the sticker industry) between those two masks, you can cover most of the exposed canopy with it, filling the gap at the front with the weed from between it and the narrow front panel.  Takes moments :yes:

Oh, and I noticed the tiny lack of overlap on the narrow scrap strip, and have since moved it.  As an aside, you might notice a line along the D frame (for want of a better word, following the car A, B and C pillar theme).  That's a panel line where the canopy opens, not a slip of the tape ;)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

PS. you've got a wee typo in the intro title.

You have 1/488

I really must contact SteelSeries about that number 8 key. You either get none, one or two 8s, utterly at random. :angry: