airscale upgrade for 1/24 Airfix Spitfire Mk. IX

airscale

Hey everyone :)

I have been getting a lot of requests for updates on when we will release a set for the new Airfix Spitfire IX

Well, the test shot PE arrived today so I did a test fit I thought I would share...

The decals are in production, so sadly I don't have those to show yet, but now I know the PE is all good i can place the production order for them. I am being told the PE will be late December / early January but will see if I can get them to run a very small batch before Christmas

it's a sad fact Airfix wouldn't supply anyone with test sprues so we are all scrabbling round trying to design & produce from the kits we received when you did

..anyways on with the preview..

..here is the fret..

gxOsun.jpg

first up the seat gets some improved mounting brackets..

b5PAsm.jpg

..the seat bulkhead has an improved finish and is detailed for those not using Armour Plate..

ZFVNqI.jpg

..and with Armour Plate and the correct seatbelt roller (tube not included..)

Vz5boQ.jpg

..rudder pedal treads..

nLLesj.jpg

..corrected and upgraded undercarriage selector..

AazjKr.jpg

..compass frame and missing fuel select lever..

TZXj23.jpg

..and what it really needs - a new IP and Blind Flying panel..

mswh7M.jpg

..how things look in place..

ce5I0U.jpg

vQwqCX.jpg

djDOb6.jpg

..there are a number of other bits & bobs too..

CaRhEq.jpg

will update again when I have decals - I need to pull all this apart to install them

It's a fabulous kit and has been a pleasure to put something together to help if folks feel it needs it :)

Pre order available here

TTFN

Peter

Edited by airscale
  • Like 18

Looks good to me. I like all those rivets and the lightening holes are well done too. The Instrument panel looks great. All well up to your normal standards.

Of course an expert will pop up soon to prove me wrong, but hey, what do I know about Spitfires?

• Like 1

Oh that look awwwffy nice. And there I was saying I will stick with my Tamiya 1/32 kit and you go and do that ……….

See what you did @airscale

I won’t sleep well tonight now

Still my wife is wondering what to get me for Christmas and while I promised not to buy more models getting presents doesn’t break that does it, not really 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Quick update on progress...

..the decals have arrived so did a test for the instructions to be developed...

cAvwSx.jpg

vmu55p.jpg

1pHeUP.jpg

TB1Dbu.jpg

vdTTIy.jpg

J55apP.jpg

nSPl2g.jpg

sweacb.jpg

66obnr.jpg

9pYajX.jpg

no kit decals are illustrated, but some are still used - happy with how the set is shaping up

..the only problem is the etch folks at PPD are breaking for Xmas and my production order will be mid January for a limited number and end of January for the rest, so I do encourage pre-orders if you have the kit and are waiting on the set.

I will turn off pre-orders if we hit the total in the first batch and none will go to retailers until the full production order has been met

..this is all a frustrating by-product of not getting access to the kit prior to release

anyways, thats it for now

Peter

• Like 6

OK Peter you've sold me - One 1/24 Spit on order and a pre-order just made with you.  It all looks very nice but I keep asking "Do I really need the new Spitfire?"  Well not now thanks to Mrs T and Santa Claus  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered it today, and I will get the Sutton harness when it’s back in stock. The harness is unquestionably the best I’ve ever seen!

Thanks Peter

Cheers

Jeff

6 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

Received and very impressed! I'm there must be other areas in the cockpit that could use your attention...do you do the Harness in 1/24?

The Sutton Harness is listed on the Airscale site but is currently out of stock.

https://www.airscale.co.uk/store.html#!/1-24-RAF-QK-Sutton-Harness/p/449937330/category=129480004