Airfix 1:72nd Bristol Beaufort MK 1 - Sitting pretty in the North African desert late 1942

Dear fellow modellers. Here is my most recent creation. The rather excellent recently released  Bristol BeaufortMk1 in 1:72 scale.

Built  OOB with a slight departure from the kit decals. This is a sort of 22 Squadron aircraft. I've done it without the torpedo fit but as a land based medium bomber. A What If of sorts. I did find a reference to 22 Squadron being in the North African desert from early 1942. With this in mind I elected to do it in RAF Desert colours. 

I liked this kit very much. I believe it's a very recent moulding? There is a ICM offering in 1:48 this might be one for me to buy in the near future too. I hope you like it posed on my desert diorama base, which I made for a previous 1:48 Hurricane Trop .

Paints are AK with some MIG silvers where necessary.  

Sorry I didn't do a WIP for this one. Did most of the work between meetings at work ! Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it! 

I hand painted the underside Azure blue. The top cammo pattern was using my airbrush and I used the blue tack sausage method to deliniate the two colours. I used the painting guide from the kit instructions and lightly ma4ked with pencil the pattern.

I'm quite astounded this has received some many likes so far. Thank You all so much. 

Since i took the pics i've tidied up the paint on the glazing bars on the cockpit. So i'm a bit happier with the end final result now

Regards, Andy

20221203_144344 20221203_144353

A few of the requisite 'Vintage' shots..

20221203_144457

20221203_153452

20221203_144505

Underside - i do like the RAF Azure Blue. 

20221203_144740

20221203_153223

20221203_144912

20221203_144615

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
additional commentary added
  • Like 73
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, russ c said:

That`s a great looking Beaufort there Andy. Superb build, photo`s and setting too

Thank you Russ. Much appreciated positive comments.  I really like the Beaufort as an subject. The glazing bars were quite a challenge on this one.. not as crisp as I'd like. Thank you though 

Why thank you for your comments and appreciation. The hot sun effect is just a 40 watt reading lamp arranged  directly above for the pictures. As it's the desert diorama I thought this would be the best way to capture the lights intensity. The diorama used real sand and small bits of gravel and luchen. Quite simple really . P,eased you like the effect! Cheers.

Coincidentally quite a few e Beaufort were  made under licence in Australia,mainly to serve as home defence aircraft! 

Kind Regards, Andy

Andy,

Lovely build and finish! It's a cracker of a kit - I've just ordered another after my recent finish,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That has come up well, a nice kit by everything I've read of it & you've brought out the best in it. I especially like the last photo, maybe it was the lighting but its caught that washed out faded deserty look rather well to my eye.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dunny said:

Andy,

Lovely build and finish! It's a cracker of a kit - I've just ordered another after my recent finish,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger. It was your Beaufort that initiated my build. Ihave to say your example was much better than mine. Thanks . Andy

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That has come up well, a nice kit by everything I've read of it & you've brought out the best in it. I especially like the last photo, maybe it was the lighting but its caught that washed out faded deserty look rather well to my eye.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. The kit impressed me too! The last pic is a trick of the light really! I was in half a mind to add some white to the paints to tone them down ,but  lost my nerve in the end . The cockpit goes together without issues and the fuselage halves were almost snap fit. Glad you like it. Thanks, regards, Andy

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Ihave to say your example was much better than mine

Hmmm, I respectfully disagree Andy -  let's just say different. I'm thinking about a Coastal Command finish for my next one, which should be fun!

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

Hmmm, I respectfully disagree Andy -  let's just say different. I'm thinking about a Coastal Command finish for my next one, which should be fun!

Cheers,

Roger

You are too modest and kind Roger.

Now CC liveried Beaufort sounds nice! I'm very tempted to buy the 1:48 ICM kit myself. It's quite expensive for what it is  I've seen it for around £45.00 online. Maybe an early Xmas present? .

Sorry the Socceroos didn't prevail against Argentina . I watched the game and was very impressed  by their skill and spirit. I love supporting an underdog ..I have to being a England supporter! 😂 

• Thanks 1

On 03/12/2022 at 16:13, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Dear fellow modellers. Here is my most recent creation. The rather excellent recently released  Bristol BeaufortMk1 in 1:72 scale.

Built  OOB with a slight departure from the kit decals. This is a sort of 22 Squadron aircraft. I've done it without the torpedo fit but as a land based medium bomber. A What If of sorts. I did find a reference to 22 Squadron being in the North African desert from early 1942. With this in mind I elected to do it in RAF Desert colours. 

I liked this kit very much. I believe it's a very recent moulding? There is a ICM offering in 1:48 this might be one for me to buy in the near future too. I hope you like it posed on my desert diorama base, which I made for a previous 1:48 Hurricane Trop .

Paints are AK with some MIG silvers where necessary.  

Sorry I didn't do a WIP for this one.Did most of the work between meetings at work ! Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it! 

I hand painted the underside Azure blue. The top cammo was using my airbrush and I used the blue tack sausage method to deliniate the two colours. I used the painting guide from the kit instructions and lightly ma4ked with pencil the pattern.

Regards, Andy

20221203_144344 20221203_144353 20221203_144457

Thought I'd add a couple of Vintage shots 

20221203_153452

20221203_144505

20221203_144740 20221203_144912

20221203_144615

Well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1

• Col Walter E Kurtz changed the title to Airfix 1:72nd Bristol Beaufort MK 1 - Sitting pretty in the North African desert late 1942
On 12/3/2022 at 3:13 PM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Excellent work; as it's a subject I know very little about, had you not titled it as a What If/What Could Be I would have accepted it as a very well recreated replica of a genuine aircraft.

One feature which hasn't attracted any attention is it the very well rendered base - it helps give your black and white photographs a credible contemporary feel. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

Excellent work; as it's a subject I know very little about, had you not titled it as a What If/What Could Be I would have accepted it as a very well recreated replica of a genuine aircraft.

One feature which hasn't attracted any attention is it the very well rendered base - it helps give your black and white photographs a credible contemporary feel. 

Thanks Richard.  It's also a type I have a sketchy knowledge about at best too. I wanted to do this one in the desert. The base board I just sort of knocked up in a couple of hours. Kiln dried sand , some carefully selected gravel, some lichen from Suffolk  and plenty if pva glue.  Glad you like it. I got the inspiration from some ww2 pics of North Africa, It's where my grandfather served with the 8th Army and I have his wartime snapshots which show similar features. Thanks for your compliment on my humble work. Regards, Andy

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1

I really like your desert scheme Beaufort.  Your diorama is also a delight.  The black and white photographs are a treat.  All in all, just very nice package.  I have the new ICM 1/48 Beaufort and just looking at the box contents, it seems like it will be a nice build and you really should take a look at it if you are a Beaufort fan.  I kinda consider the Beaufort to the Beaufighter like the B-24 is to the B-17.  Both underappreciated and upstaged by their more well know brethren.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1