Mitsubishi A6M2 Type 21, Zero/Zeke, Bougainville, 1943

New photo`s with corrected wing guns, thanks Jean.

Hi everyone, Just finished my first attempt at Eduards 1/48 A6M2, so thought it only fair to share some photo`s with you 🙂

qNP4M4V.jpg

Built from their dual-combo boxing, hence first attempt

ZXfrX0F.jpg

Completed to represent and aircraft based at Buin, Bougainville Island around 1943

CPCcPAk.jpg

Built OOB and only added brake pipes, ignition harness and antenna wire, 

D8OKSGO.jpg

Even managed to use 80% of the photo etch bits too 🙂

dbgiYyl.jpg

Had to attempt the camouflage scheme on this one as trying to add more varied schemes to the collection among the grey and dark green ones ......

sn8bhVK.jpg

.....just hoping I pulled it off ok

S591BUE.jpg

Hope you like the pic`s...

WXQMotz.jpg

...and thanks for looking, cheers Russ

• Like 41
  • Thanks 1

Hello Russ,

Well done, this is a very nice model, well finished.👍

This camouflage reminded me of a Scottish tartan, well done for your mastery of airbrush.
And your photos are always well done, thanks for sharing!   :worthy:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snafu35 said:

Hello Russ,

Well done, this is a very nice model, well finished.👍

This camouflage reminded me of a Scottish tartan, well done for your mastery of airbrush.
And your photos are always well done, thanks for sharing!   :worthy:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

Thanks Eric, it`s hairy-sticked actually, but glad you like it🙂

Cheers Russ

1 hour ago, Zigomar said:

Russ, normally the 20mm guns in the wings do not show out, they are short muzzle types. If you don't mind.

Hi Jean, the instructions says to fit them, so I did, I can always pull them out if they`re wrong

Cheers Russ

Nice job there Russ.

You may wish to amend your spelling in the title heading......no r in Bougainville. 👍

There is actually an A6M3 Zero on a pole and a Type 89B Otsu Yi-Go Japanese tank at Kieta war memorial on the eastern side of Bougainville. I saw it when I was there in 1998.

Edited by Devo
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, russ c said:

Hi Jean, the instructions says to fit them, so I did, I can always pull them out if they`re wrong

Cheers Russ

Russ, I have a lot of doc on the bird, but I have never seen that configuration, latter production A6M3 Mod 22a had the first long barrels 20mm canons, otherwise, but I might be wrong, no barrel out. have a nice day.

• russ c changed the title to Mitsubishi A6M2 Type 21, Zero/Zeke, Bougainville, 1943

well done Russ, and very nice model. Those A6M2 were coming from the carriers groups and arrived with no camo but the Amber grey in the South Pac. Different styles, like yours, were then applied to the planes by the ground crews. Pages 52 and 53 of Model Art n° 510 dedicated to the Japanese Navy fighter force shows those different patterns. Best regards.

• Thanks 1

Such a nice build of the Zero with a paint scheme that is appealing and rarely seen.  And, you did it with a hairy stick too.  Very nice model and great work.  Also, your photography is excellent, especially with the added background to set the stage.  Thanks for sharing.  

• Thanks 1