Helicopter Kits

Gisbod

Hi all,

Anyone know the best Lynx kit on the market and that offers the best aftermarket options? 1/48 or larger?

I used to fly them back in the 90’s - 656 squadron. It’s probably about time I made one! 

I quite fancy an all singing dancing helicopter kit. The new Takom Apache looks an incredible kit, I may be tempted by that at some point… and the Kitty Hawk Blackhawks have some super looking resin extras from ResKit. 

So basically, in addition to the Lynx, what’s the best overall kit to detail up?

Guy

• Like 2

The only game in town (in 1/48 scale) is the Airfix kit, and it's a rather nice kit. Some of the panel lines and rivets are perhaps a bit heavy, but it's nothing to worry about IMO.

Blackdog resin do a load of aftermarket parts for the avionics, engines and TRDS. Eduard did do a photo etch set which I now believe is discontinued.

There is a reasonable amount of scope for extra detailing on the kit anyway, such as the inspection ports in the upper deck for the MGB oil levels, if you fancy going down that route. 

I've got the naval flavoured Lynx in my stash and very much looking forward to building it.

There is (was) also a 1/35 lynx by accurate armour - however, I'm not sure it's available any longer. 

https://accurate-armour.com/aa-products/135th-complete-kits/h3501

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Anyone know the best Lynx kit on the market and that offers the best aftermarket options? 1/48 or larger?

There are a couple of useful reference threads here (for the Army Lynx variants) and here (for the Naval variants)

Another option might be a UH-1, whilst they are not all currently in production, there are a number of different versions available in 1/35 scale.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2022 at 12:39, Gisbod said:

Hi all,

I used to fly them back in the 90’s - 656 squadron. It’s probably about time I made one! 

I quite fancy an all singing dancing helicopter kit. The new Takom Apache looks an incredible kit, I may be tempted by that at some point… and the Kitty Hawk Blackhawks have some super looking resin extras from ResKit. 

So basically, in addition to the Lynx, what’s the best overall kit to detail up?

Guy

For an Army one there is really only the Airfix one. Depending on the Mark you want there are aftermarket sets to back date it,

• Like 2

I am aware you are attracted by some all singing/dancing kit, but if you don't mind some fun, the venerable Revell AH-1G may be something for you (yes, I am aware it may be considered the opposite of all singing/dancing, but maybe just the songs have changed in the past 50-odd years). Dress her up with the ammo sponsons and a 20 on each inner pylon - I am sure there is (at least was) resin around for that purpose.  

• Like 2

I guess you have heard about the Special Hobby Ah-1 Vietnam Cobra that was just released!

Probably currently the most state of the art helo lit out there... at least in 1/48....

There is even a deluxe version with resin accessories... :whistle:

As far as I know Heller made a 1/35 scale model of the Super Frelon and Trumpeter makes Aerospatiale SA 365 Dauphin in 1/48 scale.Revell of Germany makes a 1/32 scale model of the Aerospatiale Puma which is a reboxing of the old Matchbox kit but with parts to make a modernized German Bundespolizei aircraft.

Saluti

Giampiero

22 minutes ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Revell of Germany makes a 1/32 scale model of the Aerospatiale Puma which is a reboxing of the old Matchbox kit but with parts to make a modernized German Bundespolizei aircraft.

Saluti

Giampiero

Revell also updated it to make a more modern RAF version too with the PIPS intakes, RWR mods and MAWS pods on the nose, but not on the sponsons .

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

I guess you have heard about the Special Hobby Ah-1 Vietnam Cobra that was just released!

Probably currently the most state of the art helo lit out there... at least in 1/48....

There is even a deluxe version with resin accessories... :whistle:

Ah well, but doesn't size matter? The good old Revell is 32nd - which is 50% larger than 48th 😉 And kidding aside, I think this still is a gorgeous kit, with all of its wonderful rivets. Helos NEED rivets.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...