A few airbrush questions

Chris Collins

Hi guys, I'm looking at getting into airbrushing but know absolutely nothing. my main concerns are around paint types and so on. do I need a spray booth for water based paints? where can I find a good guide to airbrushing and so on. any information would be marvellous. Cheers, Chris

What kind of workplace you have to get your work done?

In theory you do not need spray booth if you are fine with your room becoming an oversized spray booth itself... - but be aware that you are atomizing something more than just plain water - breathing pigments it is not a good idea. Water-based paints definition are also sometimes a tricky subject - for example Tamiya is water based but it has a lot of alcohol in it (amongst other).

So, even if you have a spray booth some good mask is a must.

Generally I'd suggest a spray booth designed for your workplace and a personal breathing mask. If you cant get spray booth to fit your space, build your own - it is quite fun task on its own. Your lungs (and your room too) will thank you for that later.

If it comes to techniques, there is a lot of tutorials online, like:

https://www.youtube.com/@AirbrushAsylum

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just dive in and have a go. its really not that difficult.

Get a scrap kit or some plastic card and fiddle with your paint thinning ratio and pressure. there are so many variables its difficult to say with any certainty whats good or bad. Rule of thumb thin to milk consistency and start at 20PSI. If no paint comes out try more thinner. if you get spiders legs its either too thin or too high PSI. 

Just get stuck in. And dont spend a fortune on a brush.  

Don't wast your money on a spray booth. look on ebay for an old cooker extractor fan. plug it in and stand it at 90o . It will suck everything nasty away. either straight out the window (you can buy attachments for the hose) or out of an air brick likewise with an attachment off amazon. they are twice if not more the power of a spray booth and you can get right close to it without it throwing shadows over your work