Beech D17S Staggerwing Sword 1/72

2996 Victor

Hi all,

I've just scored an example of the Sword 1/72 D17S (UC43) Staggerwing (another drunken eBay bid). I know the kit has some flaws - the transparencies for instance - but I'd be interested in knowing what else might be out of kilter.

However, my main question is: is this kit suitable for either (1) a USAAF aircraft in blue/yellow, or (2) a Royal Navy aircraft.

Many thanks for any advice!

Cheers,

Mark 

I have the AZ and Meikraft kits of the Staggerwing.  According to Scalemates the AZ kit is NOT the Sword kit, but no matter as far as your main question is concerned.  There is not much difference between the different models of the UC-43, mostly different variants of the engine and most were impressed civilian models to being with.  The Meikraft kit actually came with markings as an air attache aircraft (blue fuselage yellow wings), and the boxing of the AZ kit that I have has two RN markings choices, one of which is in the USN tri-color (actually four color) scheme. 

Later,

Dave

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your post and info - really helpful and hugely appreciated.

As I understand it, the primary differences were in engine fit - did that affect the cowling shape? And I believe that early versions had fixed undercarriage?

Thanks again and best regards,

Mark

33 minutes ago, modelldoc said:

That's an excellent Beech, if I may say so!

I've not yet decided whether to go for an RAF or RN Traveller, or a USAAF example. I guess it depends on what schemes I can find! Or I could go for a civilian scheme for a change.

Cheers,

Mark

20 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Dave,

As I understand it, the primary differences were in engine fit - did that affect the cowling shape? And I believe that early versions had fixed undercarriage?

Mark

Yes the early ones had fixed landing gear with spats gear fairings.  For what you are wanting to do, those all had the retractable landing gear.  I'm not aware of any obvious cowling changes during the production run of the aircraft prior to WW II. 

Later,

Dave

• Thanks 1

Sounds nice. I have a Sword kit built and another waiting. Somewhere here, are  my pics. 

Incidentally I have a spare set of decals by Red Pegasus for a yellow civilian  one if interested.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, e8n2 said:

Yes the early ones had fixed landing gear with spats gear fairings.  For what you are wanting to do, those all had the retractable landing gear.  I'm not aware of any obvious cowling changes during the production run of the aircraft prior to WW II. 

Later,

Dave

Brilliant, thanks - that'll help me focus more on a subject!

All the best,

Mark

11 hours ago, Paul J said:

Sounds nice. I have a Sword kit built and another waiting. Somewhere here, are  my pics. 

Incidentally I have a spare set of decals by Red Pegasus for a yellow civilian  one if interested.

Thanks, Paul, that's really appreciated - I'll have a look and see if I can find the photos. I'm half tempted by a civvie aircraft so I'll see if I can find some details about the decals.

Best regards,

Mark

On 12/3/2022 at 11:34 AM, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Dave,

Mark

Hi Mark,

If we look the heritage of Beech 17 Traveler from the early fixed gear ones to D17S there are plenty of changes despite generally similar appearance in a short glance:-

- early aircraft no flaps, ailerons on lower wings,

- shorter rear and front fuselage,

- different number of wing ribs,

- low or tall retractable gear,

- angle of windscreen changed,

- lenght of the Naca ring,

- prop type,

- everything I have forgot...

Fascinating subject anyway!

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

Hi Mark,

If we look the heritage of Beech 17 Traveler from the early fixed gear ones to D17S there are plenty of changes despite generally similar appearance in a short glance:-

- early aircraft no flaps, ailerons on lower wings,

- shorter rear and front fuselage,

- different number of wing ribs,

- low or tall retractable gear,

- angle of windscreen changed,

- lenght of the Naca ring,

- prop type,

- everything I have forgot...

Fascinating subject anyway!

Cheers,

AaCee

Thanks - it looks like being a complicated subject with plenty of chances to get it wrong :D I've found a reasonably priced copy of RT Smith's "Staggerwing!", which I believe is the best source of information. So it looks like I'll be spending some time comparing the kit to photos to work out what it actually represents!

All the best,

Mark

On 04/12/2022 at 19:33, 2996 Victor said:

Afraid not. ITs an all yellow one with the classic Beech style trim down the sides and back reg numerals.#

Beech D.17 Staggerwing. - Ready for Inspection - Aircraft - Britmodeller.com

(PS why doesn't my link work and how do I get them to work????)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

Afraid not. ITs an all yellow one with the classic Beech style trim down the sides and back reg numerals.#

Beech D.17 Staggerwing. - Ready for Inspection - Aircraft - Britmodeller.com

(PS why doesn't my link work and how do I get them to work????)

Thanks, Paul, that actually sounds a very nice scheme. I'll drop you a PM about it.

All the best,

Mark 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 10:34 AM, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Dave,

Mark

Here is a brief development of Staggerwing shapes:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ77aF_23uN8tezimooKai

The D17 is the most common for WW2 machines. The E and F have a bit longer nose - here is a full description https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechcraft_Model_17_Staggerwing

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JWM said:

Here is a brief development of Staggerwing shapes:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ77aF_23uN8tezimooKai

The D17 is the most common for WW2 machines. The E and F have a bit longer nose - here is a full description https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechcraft_Model_17_Staggerwing

Regards

J-W

Thanks, J-W, that's great information!

I've got the kit now, which looks quite nice although the interior will need a bit of work. Also, I understand that the clear parts don't fit and are really thick, so I'm on the lookout for a Pavla replacement set.

When I get to it, I'll determine exactly what the mouldings represent, and go from there.

All best wishes for a merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Mine Beech is right now on the RFI. I think the inside is not bad, the glass i painted with gloss varnish for better transparency. The fit was not perfect, but not very bad. I added two construction tubes inside, they are visible through windscreen. I also added some details in wheel bay. Btw, the Az and Sword kits have the same plastic parts. Thank you for wishies, have the merry Christmas too.😀. Cheers J-W

• Thanks 1

On 22/12/2022 at 21:26, JWM said:

Mine Beech is right now on the RFI. I think the inside is not bad, the glass i painted with gloss varnish for better transparency. The fit was not perfect, but not very bad. I added two construction tubes inside, they are visible through windscreen. I also added some details in wheel bay. Btw, the Az and Sword kits have the same plastic parts. Thank you for wishies, have the merry Christmas too.😀. Cheers J-W

Thanks, J-W, I've just had a look at your RFI and it's fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...