Revell 1/72 Stearman

I am embarking on a long path, recreating aircraft that my grandfather and two great uncles flew in WW2. Sadly my grandfather was the only survivor. I will model them all in 1/72 so that you can see the progression and size comparison. I have log books and so will be recreating actual aircraft they flew.

Between the three of them, the list of aircraft is extensive:

Tiger Moth 

Stearman 

Fairchild PT-19

BT-13 Vultee Valiant

Harvard

Miles Master

Avro Anson

Hurricane IIc

Spitfire Vb

Wellington

Halifax

Lancaster

This is my first attempt - Revell’s old Stearman Kaydet.

This was my first bare metal finish, using Tamiya AS-12, that worked well, as did the PE instrument panels. Sadly the rest didn’t. I actually enjoyed fighting this, plently of flash, gaps, raised writing on the wing! However, I messed up the top wing, and so had to make my own struts from stretched sprue, and the wing is now off centre. The decals for the main code aren’t great (or matching) size. And I couldn’t get decals small enough for the small registration number on the fin.

As such, I will re do this kit at a later date, and may even try rigging. I left weathering as a) apparently they were kept incredibly clean, and b) I’m going to have another crack at the kit

However, as this was my first build in what is a very important run of aircraft to me, I wanted to share it. Next up, probably the Spit.

A rare colour photo of the actual aircraft I modelled. Sadly the kit tail wheel is far too large, and so it doesn’t sit at the same angle.

D0EA60C0-D035-43CB-9758-1844F17F0FE9

BE263D65-1823-4DE9-A1B1-9A7EABD754D4

94D7ACB3-141D-47BC-87BD-B4BFC7A4A170

B194EEB9-AC7C-4CF7-956B-CED8982C5A2A

D9F93881-9465-4A0C-9046-26A541FCEC0C

Edited by Volant
Spelling
  • Like 17

Impressively ambitious project!

I wish you all the fortitude required for so many builds!

All the best.

JR