Ahem! Jumping the gun with a DH5

DaddyO

Not realising the whole bunfight protocol our hero got stuck into a KP 1/72 DH5 as soon as he saw mention of a DH Cookup in one of Marko's threads (Sorry old fruit - promise it won't happen again) ☺️

Anyway since the current Eindekker build was sitting in the cabinet waiting for paint to dry and I'm not getting any younger I cracked open the box and made a start. Overall impressions were pretty good initially. I've got a few of these KP boxes on the shelf and unlike some it doesn't have the prominent rib ridges that some have (For those of a certain age think the old Matchbox trench digger in reverse) 😉

The softish grey plastic is easy to work with even if many of the 'details' are rather heavy handed and needed refinement. First up though was sorting out the flying surfaces which needed a slight adjustment to outlines and a lot of sanding to get somewhere near acceptable thickness . . . . 

javx1F1_NouHO1zXvu9miAuOyxDZq1oRFpiL8A1E

After much sanding (That well known village in the Cotswolds) we ended up with some useable parts that just needed the control surfaces removing and new control horns adding.

BD1VMrrMxbKc5w-OAP7g-WCY9WY7Wbc9WHbTKY3p

The rather horrible looking cowls opening cowl was too small so needed enlarging as well as slots refining and new stiffeners added with 5though plastic card strips after everything was sanded (anyone spotted a theme here?) After that all the rigging holes were drilled and for once I managed to avoid breaking any 0.3 mm drills 😎

VQF77rTNHhmKZm-8bPhKH3jlfRn4jy745BSbEVd8

After a few evenings work I've now got a kit of parts that I'm reasonably happy with (Cowl stiffeners yet to be added in the above picture) Roden supplied a much nicer engine and wheels as well as a half decent Vickers (although it would be nice to have a Miniworld or Gaspatch one there are none easily available at the moment. If anyone has a spare laying around that they'd like to sell please get in touch) I added a few wrinkles to the fabric sides and new plastic tubular intakes. The prominent fuselage stitching is absent in the main and in it's place are a few more trenches ready to be filled 🤨 Hey ho. Overall I really like the kit despite what I've said; it's an interesting prototype and would build into a sound looking DH5, but I just like to fiddle . . . . .

Toodlepip

Paul

• Like 10

A couple of hours left alone in the workshop (well, back bedroom anyway) and I proudly emerge with several details soon to be lost inside the fuz.

I'd hoped the extra work on the seat would be wrth the effort, but sadly very little will be able to be seen . . . .

Ah well onwards and upwards

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 10

Cheers Chris. Hopefully get some more done on the fuz this week so all this will disappear at that point. 

Looks like the rest of the build should be straightforward (Famous last words!) 🤪

Paul

• Like 2

Great start, Paul, excellent prep work and the seat and IP look splendid.

Following with interest as I'd thought to build one of these in the Airco/DH Group Build.

Looking forward to seeing your next instalment.

Cheers,

Mark

16 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Great start, Paul, excellent prep work and the seat and IP look splendid.

Following with interest as I'd thought to build one of these in the Airco/DH Group Build.

Looking forward to seeing your next instalment.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark

I hadn't realised that the Group Build hadn't started so dived right in after selecting this from the pile. I'd also got the Pegasus version, but this looked a bit easier. (Certainly simpler than my second option of the DH2!)_😉

It's quite a nice kit overall and would certainly capture the feel of the aircraft straight from the box. There are a couple of different boxings, but I assume the only difference is in the decals. Got a few things to sort out for work this week, but I should be able to squeeze some time in on it later 😉

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not much progress to report on this one, but I have made some new struts using .7mm wire with a strip of brass soldered to it and infilled to an aerofoil shape. Here they are awaiting final shaping of the ends with an original plastic one for comparison

LCCwj5ZQxxvxkLiO_cHb4FT5EmqCqK2m-YH6AnIZ

Final shot of the interior before it disappears forever. New control stick and rudder pedal from wire. Wooden bits from scraps of plastic

ppQLtWSC0f0D_0pVCnDaczxZ8cCabxp-8FCH4ZWN

Once the fuz was glued together it needed the nose area sorting out since there is a pronounced step next to the Vickers which needed building up from MagicSculpt or similar.

B0jm4xmcZtMXrRQsYCPHGvaBseEu18z4rhCfHD7TNdKSvHeFdPn7mEtTMWpgeava5XKM48OvIHx0EH5w

I've embossed a few stretch marks in the fabric areas and filled the trenches that were supposed to represent the stitching. Just trying out a couple of methods to reproduce this at the moment

Toodlepip and Merry Christmas

Paul

• Like 8

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Fantastic work, Paul - this is an absolute tour-de-force, and I'll definitely be referring to your build when the time comes to do mine.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Cheers,

Mark

Cheers Marc

(It feels more tour-de-farce at times, but then I guess you only see the good bits) 😉

I found an old issue of Windsock magazine which had an article on mixing the dreaded PC10 so I'm going to mix some up based on that. I did buy some AK acrylic PC10, but it looks much too green for my tastes and will be too dark under the varnish coats anyway, but I might use it as a starting point . . . .

Toodlepip

Paul

• Like 1

How on earth did I miss this? I do like a WW1 biplane and this is looking terrific.  Love the way you're doing the struts, they'll be so much better than the kit parts. I'll be tagging along from here

Richie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichieW said:

How on earth did I miss this? I do like a WW1 biplane and this is looking terrific.  Love the way you're doing the struts, they'll be so much better than the kit parts. I'll be tagging along from here

Richie

Thanks Ritchie

That's me - 'The Ninja poster' 🤣

Glad to have you onboard 👍😀

17 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Nice start.

Shame you chickened out of the Aeroclub one as I only have that in the stash and would love to see someone else tackle it first!

Ian

I thought this one would be easier Ian, being a modern kit, but you know once you start 'improving' it's difficult to know when to stop . . . .🥴

Typical is fiddling about with the kit undercarriage.

Thought I'd replace the moulded 'blob' generator with something more accurate and, of course, then I decided to sand the legs thinner and reshape them a bit while I was at it. The cross piece was a bit narrow in chord compared to the plan so obviously replaced that with a new bit of shaped plastic and the axle with a bit of wire etc etc and suddenly an afternoon disappears 🙄😊 Ah well at least I'll know and that's half the fun

Cheers for now

Paul

• Like 2

Apologies for the lack of updates folks.

Building sort of stopped over Christmas while I sorted a few things out and then I managed to break a toe yesterday 😲 so colour me generally not impressed

Anyway a few details arrived just before the big day. The guns are top notch although tiny and I'll have a spare one so possibly a Pup or early Spad is on the cards. The stitching is lovely although appears overscale for 1/72 to my eyes having tried a small piece on a scrap wing, so an alternative is needed. I've got some Archer decals coming to see how they look, but may just make up some decals . . . .(That'll be a first for me)🙄

4hZNzgsKUCvKBxxHwGqxikyiag9fgN2g9ktBoc41

Meanwhile other details have been sorted. Undercarriage is now ready for painting (wheels are just a push fit for the picture) Bungee cord which is just about visible here is wire from an old phone charging lead. 

N_LMFRAejWkc2EBKlb1DfXUq4SChDeB2yurwjpj6

Last item for today is the tailskid from a piece of shaped brass wire and a couple of scraps of plastic (Bit of filler needed to sort out the wing to fuz join as can be seen)

bHYF6gnjqXaLZu3IB3HbiL0_II3g46fOaegZ0Ahq

Right off for an ice pack and painkillers

Cheers for now

Paul

• Like 7

I gave you a 'like' for the model progress rather than the broken toe. Those little brass control horns and tail skid are fantastic. Must be quite a fiddly business in 1/72!

Richie

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RichieW said:

I gave you a 'like' for the model progress rather than the broken toe. Those little brass control horns and tail skid are fantastic. Must be quite a fiddly business in 1/72!

Richie

Cheers Ritchie

(I in a panto in a couple of weeks so that'll be fun!) 🤪

I quite enjoy the challenge of making them and unlike the larger scales where you need to make everything, in 72nd you can deceive the eye with careful use of paint more often than not. (I really hate it when something you've spent time on pings off the worktop never to be seen again though)😣

Paul

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DaddyO said:

Cheers Ritchie

(I in a panto in a couple of weeks so that'll be fun!) 🤪

'Behind you, behind you!'

'Thank you I broke my toe on that a couple of weeks ago!' 😂

3 minutes ago, DaddyO said:

with careful use of paint more often than not. (I really hate it when something you've spent time on pings off the worktop never to be seen again though)😣

I lost an entire scratched 1/32 instrument panel with over 80 individual parts before Christmas, that really hurt!

Richie

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RichieW said:

'Behind you, behind you!'

'Thank you I broke my toe on that a couple of weeks ago!' 😂

I lost an entire scratched 1/32 instrument panel with over 80 individual parts before Christmas, that really hurt!

Richie

Funny guy. You've obviously seen me rehearsing 🤣 (Luckily I'm playing the Tin Man and have already been rehearsing a stiff legged walk so perhaps they won't even notice!)

An entire instrument panel is going some though. Not sure whether to congratulate you or console you. 👍

Best I've done recently is loose 2 small windscreens shaped for clear acetate (I eventually managed to get the third one stuck onto the model you'll be pleased to know) 

Paul

• Like 3

Happy New Year to one and all.

Still chugging away with this one. Sorted out the sort of colour I'll be using (I use acrylics) Best match was the mixed version on the left when compared with the swatches from an old Windsock magazine although as the article points out there were so many variables that it's more a case of what you think looks correct. I'll need to lighten the colour a bit to ensure it doesn't darken too much when the varnish coats are added, which is something I've noticed with previous builds.

For refence the other two shades are S75 PC10 on the right which tends towards green to much for me and the nearest other Vallejo air I had in stock

31CwG2ybqH2IgVToVvKj3n2TlI2gesM9ImvD-T1e

I think I've also sorted out the lacing method I'll use on this one. I managed to get hold of some etched brass stitching shown at the bottom here, which is too prominent for me despite it's accuracy (Be great on a 48th scale model though) I also tried the Archer printed decal stitching which again is a tad too big (although it does say it's really for 48th and upwards) Finally settled on a different Archer set of 'offset rivets' which gives a nice subdued effect that looks fine until you magnify it.😉 It's the one in the middle here. Possible one of the Archer welded decal sheets would be a good choice? You can also see the tiddly Vickers from Gaspatch in the pic.

tmbhy2gGFL4VTAU8e87_YToMdo0KbPn4G2XkHXyr

Here's how they look in position after a coat of Microsol

3OZvdUPrIrzfiFwigcIVymDp5T2nFog0yv7JS1XC

Lastly for today I splashed some paint on a couple of details. The engine is a spare one from a Roden Camel. The prop is also from the same kit with a spinner added. Propeller painted in oil paints and for a change I decided ont to carve this one since the laminations are not as prominent on British aircraft 🙂

That brings us up to date although the bench is now being shared with a couple of other projects, but hopefully we'll get some paint on later this week . . . 

Toodlepip

Paul

wWjbZKzKAZn4gIPU60xXbKIfRhpLP6VpBdZpBkOs

• Like 6

Sorry to hear about the toe. 

DH coming along very nicely though, I like the guns! I have a stack of Mini world Vickers and Spandaus for most of mine but may well get some Schwarzlose

Ian

• Like 2

Excellent progress, Paul! The Archer's offset rivets are definitely effective at representing the lacing. Good call!

And the little Clerget (?) is looking very nice, too. I've got a couple of Small Stuff Clergets and I thought I'd use one of those for mine, but you've got the Roden engine to scrub up really well.

Looking forward to seeing some colour on it!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

More super work, the stitching looks perfectly in scale. Your engine and props are wonderful too.

Best of luck with the panto, I do hope your toe is recovering well.

Happy new year

Richie

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

Sorry to hear about the toe. 

DH coming along very nicely though, I like the guns! I have a stack of Mini world Vickers and Spandaus for most of mine but may well get some Schwarzlose

Ian

Cheers Ian

These things happen, but there'll be no bouldering for about a month (The idea of putting n a pair of tight fitting climbing shoes makes me cry just thinking about it) On the plus side that means more modelling time 😀

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Excellent progress, Paul! The Archer's offset rivets are definitely effective at representing the lacing. Good call!

And the little Clerget (?) is looking very nice, too. I've got a couple of Small Stuff Clergets and I thought I'd use one of those for mine, but you've got the Roden engine to scrub up really well.

Looking forward to seeing some colour on it!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark. The small stuff engines are fabulous although I usually manage to loose a few spark plugs when building them no matter how careful I am. Very little of the engine will be seen, even with the modified cowl, so I decided to save my other one for something else. The Roden one is a really nice little casting and I was surprised how well it scrubbed up  😎

55 minutes ago, RichieW said:

More super work, the stitching looks perfectly in scale. Your engine and props are wonderful too.

Best of luck with the panto, I do hope your toe is recovering well.

Happy new year

Richie

Glad you like it Ritchie. I can spend ages agonising over details when really I should just press on with the building (I've only completed 4 models to date!)

Tech and dress for the Panto next weekend so that should be exciting . . . 

Cheers for now

Paul

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DaddyO said:

Glad you like it Ritchie. I can spend ages agonising over details when really I should just press on with the building (I've only completed 4 models to date!)

Tech and dress for the Panto next weekend so that should be exciting . . . 

I'm very guilty of the same, I've only completed 1 model in the last 3 years. I'm shocked that you've only completed 4 models, your work is of an amazingly high standard.

The panto sounds exciting, it must be a heck of a lot of fun. I used to do a lot of performing as a classical guitarist. Not sure if it was more exciting or terrifying.

Richie

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RichieW said:

I'm very guilty of the same, I've only completed 1 model in the last 3 years. I'm shocked that you've only completed 4 models, your work is of an amazingly high standard.

The panto sounds exciting, it must be a heck of a lot of fun. I used to do a lot of performing as a classical guitarist. Not sure if it was more exciting or terrifying.

Richie

Done a lot of modelling over many years Ritchie although these are the first kits I've made since I was at school. (Latterly I've been working with figures and before that I spent 10 years building flying models from balsa such as the Yak below which weighs about 2.5gms and flies for around 50 seconds in sports halls)

wsq1kAH-5z3QgVhU6BVO463ySzguCnva3ykefrrs

Exciting or terrifying is exactly right when it comes to performing; I prefer back of curtain making props etc., but one of the cast dropped out about half way through rehearsals and I didn't say no quickly enough 🤣

• Like 3