Finnish Air Force Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6 in 1/48 scale

The Messerschmitt G-2’s and G-6’s played a very important role in halting the Red Army's massive attack in the Finnish Karelian Isthmus in the summer of 1944. The very existence of Finland as a nation was then at stake since the USSR’s plan was to break the Finnish army’s defences and to conquer the whole country.

All in all, a total of 159 G-2’s and G-6’s were delivered to the Finnish Air Force . At the hight of the battle new Messerchmitts were flown to Finland from Germany almost day and night by different squadron pilots. Some of the planes still wore the German crosses in the wings and they were just painted over and replaced with the Finnish roundels.

I chose to build the Messerscmitt G-6 number MT-492 since I wanted to build a one with the tropical filter, the erla canopy, the spiral motif in the spinner and the radio antenna on the underside of the wing. I went through a lot of info and finally ended up with MT-492, This fighter did not however, achieve any aerial victories before the end of the war.

I built my 1/48 scale model from Hasegawa's G-2 series, which had all the additional parts needed for the G-6 except for the erla canopy which I found in my spares box. The quality of the kit was excellent and there were no problems in assembling it. I additionally enhanced the cockpit with Eduard's photoetch set and used the flattened tires from Airwaves. The toned down light blue roundels and other decals are from InScale's FAF G-6 sheet. The overpainted German crosses can vaguely be seen in the wings, too.

The most challenging part of painting the model was the German mottled camo. For that I bought Eduard’s brass mottle masks. For the camo I used the following shades of Xtracolor:

RLM 74 Graugrün - X206

RLM 75 Grauviolett - X207

RLM 76 Lichtblau - X208

RLM 02 Grau for landing gear shafts and landing gear - X201

RLM 70 Schwartzgrün for propeller blades and spinner. - X204

Dark gray cockpit, Revell 78, Matt tank grey

Yellow X106

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

At the air base of Utti, near the Russian border in South-Eastern Finland there is a restored Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6. The fighter is on display in a glass hut commemorating the brave airmen that fought against the massive Red army. The Utti air base was a very important air field in WWII and it is still in operation. It is nowadays home to the Army Special Forces and the helicopter operations of the Finnish Defence Forces.

Edited by Einar
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Juhannussima said:

Looks great Einar.  I think that MT-492 was one and only with the spiral on spinner, - excluding some postwar planes-

Thank you / kiitos!

Einar

• Like 1

It is always a delight to see the 109 done in markings other than German.  This is such a well done kit and the markings/camo is just great.  Thanks for sharing the build and the history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, georgeusa said:

It is always a delight to see the 109 done in markings other than German.  This is such a well done kit and the markings/camo is just great.  Thanks for sharing the build and the history.

Thank you very much Georgeusa,

Einar 

• Like 1

Your model really looks the part with the "Mersus" preserved in Finland, and that is a compliment. Very well done. Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Zigomar said:

Your model really looks the part with the "Mersus" preserved in Finland, and that is a compliment. Very well done. Cheers.

Thanks Zigomar!

Einar 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mick said:

great work

Thanks Mick!

Einar 

1 hour ago, HOUSTON said:

STUNNING  model. 

You did a SUPERB  job.

:clap2:

:clap:

Thanks Houston!

Einar

On 12/2/2022 at 10:11 AM, Einar said:

The very existence of Finland as a nation was then at stake since the USSR’s plan was to break the Finnish army’s defences and to conquer the whole country.

History really tends to repeat itself, doesn't it? Lovely 109!

Cheers,

Andre

21 minutes ago, Hook said:

History really tends to repeat itself, doesn't it? Lovely 109!

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks André..and you're quite right. We Finns have learnt our lesson and do not ever let it happen again!!..now the poor Ukranians are in the same situation. We have to help them to halt the barbaric russians🤬