HMS Agamemnon Pre-Dreadnought 1/350

This build is from the excellent 1/350 HobbyBoss kit which I picked up earlier this year at a scale modelers swap-meet and added aftermarket laser-cut wood deck, turned brass gun barrels, Northstar resin figures and EZ Line rigging. HobbyBoss included extensive photoetch with the kit and I think it is comparable in quality to WEM or Tom’s. I used Tamiya acrylics airbrushed on all surfaces and Vallejo Satin clear coat applied before light applications of black/ brown oil washes on everything but the wood deck.

This is my first attempt at a waterline base diorama. I used a carved out styrofoam block and the crinkled aluminum foil method with Mod Podge, airbrushed acrylic blue/ green/ grey/brown paints and clear acrylic gel medium and dry-brushing the wave tops with light grey acrylic. I thought it would be easier to try doing a water base with the ship under anchor in calm waters but filling the 1-2 mm gap between the hull and the cut-out cavity in the styrofoam became a challenge. I tried applying the acrylic gel medium as well as some Vallejo Water Effects acrylic gel foamy snow material in this hull-water transition, not too happy with my results and am now thinking modeling water with the ship underway with wakes breaking off of the hull might actually be easier to do next time. SWMBO & ALT (always listened to…) also thinks I painted my ocean too dark and that I should have aimed for the lighter blue waters seen around the Aegean Sea outside of Galipoli where this ship along with the HMS Lord Nelson were both cruising during the Dardanelles Campaign in 1915.  Despite my less-than-perfect first attempt at water, I’m pleased with how the ship itself came out and highly recommend this HobbyBoss pre-Dreadnought kit and will be a little less anxious about doing a waterline base the next time.  I welcome any and all constructive criticism and suggestions.  Thanks for looking! Cheers, John

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 51

Thank you gents for the positive feedback!

Beefy, I used Northstar Royal Navy WWII figures, set 1 and set 2 (working) figures on this build. I ordered these directly from Northstar last spring and they took a good 4-5 months to get to the US but all things considered, it’s a miracle they even arrived….my order was shipped from Ukraine! What amazing people! Fighting for their lives and country while still managing to conduct business and deliver the mail. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think the water looks just fine, but the model is simply wonderful. Weathering is spot on and the deck is really well integrated into the overall colour scheme. Love the little details like the shackles hanging of the masts and the random crew figures.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice ship.:thumbsup:

Perhaps a glossy varnish should be added to the water surface.
And let me ask you a question: the combination of flags: Huus and 2 WE seemed to me unusual. on what occasions do they raise such flags?

Good flag question Thekz, nautical flags is a subject (along with most other nautical subjects) I’m pretty ignorant about. I mounted three flags on this build mostly for the practice (I bonded the flag decals onto aluminum foil to allow them to be curled and appear waving in the breeze). In researching your question, I learned that the British Union Jack should only be displayed when a ship is at anchor or a court martial is underway, otherwise only the British Navel Ensign flag (white with the Union Jack in the corner) when the ship is underway. Not sure if both flag types are ever displayed at the same time. I welcome clarification and guidance from other more knowledgeable ship modelers here. One of the many benefits of scale modeling- I learn something new everyday! Cheers, John

Edited by nearsightedjohn
Added content
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...