Weird or What? The unconventional, eclectic and downright odd - 21 weirdos we need more!!

Marklo

Spitballing for the car modelers, what about RX-7s (or RX-3, RX-8, 787 for that matter)?  Rotaries are certainly unconventional from the "norm" of piston engines.  Pretty sure there are a few aircraft (civilian) w/ rotaries...though I'm not familiar with them.

26 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Spitballing for the car modelers, what about RX-7s (or RX-3, RX-8, 787 for that matter)?  Rotaries are certainly unconventional from the "norm" of piston engines.  Pretty sure there are a few aircraft (civilian) w/ rotaries...though I'm not familiar with them.

Wasn't there once a Rover with a gas turbine?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, zebra said:

How about the English Electric Lightning?

Hmm not sure on that one it definitely is a unique configuration. So one side of me says yes. But it was a frontline RAF interceptor so the other side says no.

But then again if I were to draw some parallels, nobody would argue against say, the Sopwith Dolphin or the DeHavelland DH5a, both of which could be considered in the same light, being on the list so I suppose the overall answer would be yes, hmmm.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Marklo changed the title to Weird or What? The unconventional, eclectic and downright odd - halfway to the bunfight!!
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Marklo changed the title to Weird or What? The unconventional, eclectic and downright odd - just past halfway to the bunfight!!
  • Marklo changed the title to Weird or What? The unconventional, eclectic and downright odd - eighteen weirdos we need more!!
  • 4 months later...
  • Marklo changed the title to Weird or What? The unconventional, eclectic and downright odd - 19 weirdos we need more!!
  • 3 months later...

Count me in Marklo. I'm positive I can find something suitably weird and strange in the stash to leave people scratching their heads saying, "What in the sam hill is THAT contraption?"?"

• Like 1

IMG-0623.png
Watched Dune (2021) last night ( really enjoyed it btw) so started researching ornithopters today I now have an STL file for the main ornithopter, homemade drawings in (approximately) 1/72 of the two seater (Harkonen?) one and also turned up this beauty a French functional ornithopter from 1937, fits the brief wonderfully I think.

• Like 3

• Marklo changed the title to Weird or What? The unconventional, eclectic and downright odd - 20 weirdos we need more!!
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Marklo changed the title to Weird or What? The unconventional, eclectic and downright odd - 21 weirdos we need more!!