Airfix 2022 Advent Calendar

k5054nz

1 minute ago, Adam Poultney said:

So the clue must be the location. Where was it taken?

White Waltham airfield 

Photo used https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:White_Waltham_Airfield_(1).jpg 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Waltham_Airfield

Extract from the Wikipedia page:-

"After the war, the airfield was also used by Fairey Aviation and later Westland Helicopters, which assembled and tested aircraft built at their Hayes factory. These included the Fairey FB-1 Gyrodyne (1947), Fairey Jet Gyrodyne (1954), Fairey Ultralight (1955), Fairey Rotodyne (1957) & Westland Scout (1960) & Westland Wasp (1962). The prototype Fairey Gannet was first flown from Aldermaston but production aircraft were completed and first flown at White Waltham too and an example is currently stored at the airfield."

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Better than my guesses but if so I can't see the wing being the clue, a PA-28 doesn't sound a lot like a winner for Airfix to me. :shrug:

Steve.

Airfix did a 1/72 Pa28 Cherokee Aroow several years  ago. I still have one in one of the later issue boxes. 

But it could be one  of the RAF newer  trainers in 72 or 48th?

As for the airfield maybe a kit of part of the airfield 🤔.😉

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paul J said:

But it could be one  of the RAF newer  trainers in 72 or 48th?

It won't be anything Grob, I belive Airfix wanted to do a Tutor some years ago but there were licensing issues with Grob.

If they could do any trainer I'd like to see a Grob Viking (twin seat glider) because I did my first solo this year in a Grob Twin II Acro which is the same as a Viking just without roundels (and a different pitot tube).

• Thanks 1

As it's Christmas I think we might need to speak to our Fairey godmother for more information. If tomorrows window has a lot of half eaten mince pies then we know it's a Gannet.:tease:

Dick

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

It won't be anything Grob, I belive Airfix wanted to do a Tutor some years ago but there were licensing issues with Grob.

If they could do any trainer I'd like to see a Grob Viking (twin seat glider) because I did my first solo this year in a Grob Twin II Acro which is the same as a Viking just without roundels (and a different pitot tube).

I too would like to see a couple 72 scale gliders. ASK-21 for example. Then I could do the master the o es zip have flown  as P2. They'll go nicely with my 72nd Pawnee tug.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

I too would like to see a couple 72 scale gliders. ASK-21 for example. Then I could do the master the o es zip have flown  as P2. They'll go nicely with my 72nd Pawnee tug.

I'd love an ASK21 in 1/72. I have Revell's 1/32 kit which has markings for R21, which is one of the ones at Cranwell Gliding Club where I fly, but in an old scheme. A lot of people have flown these as P2 or done their first solo in one so maybe it could be a good seller. 

20221015_094136

If there was to be a range of decent 1/72 gliders I think a sensible range would be:

Doing them in 1/48 instead

But other than that:

ASK21 

ASK13

K8

LS8

Grob 103A Twin II/Viking T.1

Blaník

Grob Astir CS or CS77

Perkoz

Duo Discus (could probably do a Janus and Arcus from the same kit as they use the same fuselage)

Discus

However i don't think Airfix would be the ones to do this. Best case Revell revisit their 1/32 gliders

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

Happyfixmaairfixs day25

A final special giveaway.

Christmas Day can only mean one thing – a special giveaway. Win the much-anticipated new tool Avro Anson Mk.I and it’s 1:48 predecessor Bristol Blenheim, making for an impressive display within any model collection!

https://uk.airfix.com/christmas/competition-25-final-special-giveaway

A happyfixmaairfixs to all, and to all a good night!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Please be a 1/48 Battle.  Please be a 1/48 Battle.  Please be a 1/48 Battle!

I would think that a Battle would be more likely than a Gannet. I would prefer a Gannet, but the Battle is a missing piece in Airfix’s 48 scale Second World War range.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Greg B said:

I would think that a Battle would be more likely than a Gannet. I would prefer a Gannet, but the Battle is a missing piece in Airfix’s 48 scale Second World War range.

Given that I'm currently working on the fairly cruddy Revell 1/72 Gannet I'd gladly take an Airfix new-tool instead; I'd prefer a Battle but as I said, there are much worse things than Gannets out there!

To the uninitiated (me), what's the difference between this thread and the "Airfix 2023" thread? It seems as though the topic being discussed is the same, namely, what aircraft kit will Airfix be producing next year. I still reckon it'll be a 1/24th scale Spruce Goose, or that James Bond girocopter in 1/144th scale.

John.

• Haha 1

• Greg B locked this topic