Dual Control BE2c?

RichieW

Hi all, I'm a little conflicted and utterly bewildered. I am scratch building a 1/32 BE2c based on TVALs St Catharine Ontario. They built it as a dual control aircraft but I always thought the BE2d had dual control. If anybody can shed some light on the matter it would be very helpful. Although my model is based on their reproduction I would prefer it to be authentic. Well actually to be more honest I would rather not bother having to attempt to scratch 2 sets of controls.

Many thanks in advance.

Richie 

I have no idea specifically about the BE2, but as far as I know most, if not all, British 2 seaters had rudimentary controls in the observer's cockpit to allow him to take over if the pilot was hit.

Ian

• Thanks 1

According to Paul Hare's book BE2d had the wing tank to allow for loss of the one under the observer's seat (as if he didn't have enough worries!) to allow the dual control "system" (manually connected by rods and levers from the pilot space behind).

Presumably if a BE2c were used for training it might have been converted to the same set up.  Certainly such arrangements were used for the BE2cs converted to act as "proof of concept" for the 2d.  The nature of the BE series is that conversion from one type to another was fairly straightforward,  it depended how the kit of parts was arranged.

Ps for those interested there is a set of BE2d RFC rigging notes on eBay atm. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROYAL-AIRCRAFT-FACTORY-BE2D-RAF-TECHNICAL-RIGGING-NOTES-ORIGINAL-RARE-/384450660089?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

The notes say BE2d is dual control.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for replies chaps, it's all a bit of a mystery to me. I found out yesterday than TVAL do regular pilot training and BE2c 2612 is used for that. Makes me wonder if TVAL made it dual control capable for that purpose. Given the added complexity of modelling it as dual control I am leaning towards building it as the standard pilot irear, observer forward. I also discovered they misspelt St. Catharines Ontario as St. Catherines. Perhaps their legendary authenticity has some room for interpretation or maybe I'm just plain lazy and unconfident!

Richie