Christine McVie has died.

bentwaters81tfw

Just seen this on BBC news, very sad, she was a good  singer and songwriter, another of the artists that has been around virtually all my adult life has gone. 

Extremely sad news.

I remember her as Christine Perfect in Chicken Shack, singing I'd rather go blind whrn I was a bit of a callow 18 year old. She was looooovely!

And then of course the magnificent Fleetwood Mac and Rumours, where in all honesty I think just about every song on those albums is a classic.

We then heard little from her until Tango in the night, which brought new songs IMO to equal those on Rumours, and finally I had the privilege of seeing Fleetwood Mac with Christine McVie in concert around 5 years ago and as I mentioned in acomment in the iconic intros thread, I was amazed at how loud they were, and how brutal the bass was on the Chain, but I also remember her great beauty and wonderful voice. 

Sad to see - as Mr T said - one of the artistes that I've been aware of for virtually my whole life has died.

I am sure the great jam session upstairs will be welcoming her and her voice.

RIP

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 3

Sad news. I was lucky to see Fleetwood Mac in concert at Wembley in 1988.  Christine McVie came on at the end by herself ,sat at the grand piano and played "Songbird". You could hear a pin drop.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JohnT said:

Very sorry to see this news. She and the other band members were often on the turntable full volume. And yes @Whofan she and the band were sensational in concert. Possibly the best performing band I’ve seen. 
RIP 

John,

I also had the pleasure of seeing them just a week or so after Albatross was a number 1 single here, at my University, when Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer wew in the band

I remember little of the night, except when Jeremy Spencer donned a gorilla head mask and they played some rock n rolll standards, which memory tells me there was a fair bit of humour from the band that night.

The performance I saw in Birmingham in 2015 was an exceptional night, one of the best concerts I've seen

• Like 3

And, without Christine we wouldn't have had songbird, which means we would probably have never heard of Eva Cassidy and her version of it. Beautiful.

Sadly missed, both of them.

https://i.ytimg.com/an_webp/eKvxn59TNhE/mqdefault_6s.webp?du=3000&sqp=CLLBq5wG&rs=AOn4CLBSPDK13xIFXvfpvyHCMnik-HO5nA

• Like 4

Sad news indeed Rumours just blew me away when it came out and remains one of my favourites, I was lucky enough to see Fleetwood Mac at the NEC in the late 80's and it remains one of the best concerts that I have been to.

RIP

Dennis

• Like 2

Sometimes life just isn't fair.

I've got such fond memories of Rumours. Way back in 1978 my mate had a fairly handsome win on the football pools (remember those?). He decided to buy a brand new Ford Capri to celebrate. He then decreed that as we both were on holiday from our respective jobs, a road trip was to be the order of the day.

This was hastily planned to encompass a drive down from Northumberland to deepest Lincolnshire, where by chance, my aunt owned a lovely village pub, (so our accomodation was sorted for the week) and also to spend a day at the upcoming RAF Waddington air display.

As I said, this was hastily put together late on a Thursday evening, so we each threw a couple of bags into the car and set off. We showed our passes at border control, otherwise known as the Tyne Tunnel and we were free! We then encountered thick fog, which persisted all the way down through North Yorkshire.

His brand new Capri sported a stereo cassette player and it was thus switched on. At this point, we realised the error of our ways in our haste to set off, we forgot to pack any cassettes and the only one we had was Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. At that point in my life, I hadn't heard much of the band as my main musical interest was Irish Folk music.

Rumours got played continually on the way down and as a result, it has become so engraved in my psyche and has to become my favourite album of all time.

One funny little anecdote from our trip, my mate had never been south of the Tyne in his life. He worked on the Tyne at Swan Hunters, building warships, but had never ever set foot on the south bank of the river.

As stated earlier, we encountered thick fog and were forced to drive at 20 mph in some places. After about a couple of hours driving at 20mph, with Christine McVie singing her heart out, a large green sign loomed out of the fog and my mate exclaimed "Where the bloody hell are we? Where's Kanansyburagh? I explained that we were heading towards Knaresborough and that he shouldn't worry.

I discovered a few things that weekend. I discovered that l really liked Fleetwood Mac. I fell in love with Christine McVie's voice and that my mate was a crap navigator.

Happy Days,

Chris.

• Like 3