1/72 Red Arrows decals (pre 2008)?

colihamp

Hopefully I have this in the correct section?...

Does anyone know if it’s possible to source 1/72 Red Arrows decals for a pre-2008 team? I think (I may be wrong) that this marked a major change in scheme. Basically I’m looking for [original] markings with the red/white/blue tail (with small Union Flag in centre), the solid white fuselage band and the small ‘Royal Air Force’ on the nose.

All the latest boxings have the post 2008 scheme with the stylised (wavy) Union Flag tail and large ‘Royal Air Force’ markings on the fuselage - not a fan of these. 

I need 9 sets. Any ideas? Thanks,

Colin.

50 minutes ago, colihamp said:

Hopefully I have this in the correct section?...

Does anyone know if it’s possible to source 1/72 Red Arrows decals for a pre-2008 team? I think (I may be wrong) that this marked a major change in scheme. Basically I’m looking for [original] markings with the red/white/blue tail (with small Union Flag in centre), the solid white fuselage band and the small ‘Royal Air Force’ on the nose.

All the latest boxings have the post 2008 scheme with the stylised (wavy) Union Flag tail and large ‘Royal Air Force’ markings on the fuselage - not a fan of these. 

I need 9 sets. Any ideas? Thanks,

Colin.

Hi Colin

As you're after 9 sets I presume you're looking to build the whole team?

If so, you might want to scour the 2nd hand market for the earlier Airfix kit which comes both with the scheme you're after and all the team serials

This boxing or any earlier Red Arrows boxing should have what you're looking for.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-03026-red-arrows-hawk--211450

If you've got kits already, you could try a begging post in the Wanted section for unused kit decals?

Thanks Dave,

Indeed, yes building a 9 ship.

yeah, unfortunately I already have the later boxing’s of the Airfix kit. I think these come with the different serials, so it’s really the 

- fin decal (Red/white/blue with small Union flag)

- fuselage decal (stripe)

- nose decal (small ‘Royal Air Force’ + crest/badge)

Cheers,

Colin.

Older Revell kit had the scheme you describe, I think also some Olympic rings option for the tail.

Edit:  it's actually a 2000 decal, from memory separate from the main tail stripe.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04622-bae-hawk-t-mk1-red-arrows--111450

Thanks everyone for the pointers on the older boxings....as I already have the newer boxing of this kit I was looking for some aftermarket decals but guess these don’t exist. I may need to look into getting some made (or live with the newer scheme)

Thanks,

Many moons ago TwoBob decals did a special sheet that came free with Finscale Modeler magazine. It was for the Red Arrows 2000 scheme

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/48-hawk-mk-red-arrows-commemorative-310422052

I have one of those so PM me if you are interested.

Regards

Robert

• Like 1

Thanks for your offer Robert, very kind. Unfortunately (as far as I can tell) these are for 1/48 (whereas I need 1/72). I’d also need 9 sets. I think I’m going to either build with current markings or try and find someone with the skills to make the decals for me.

I suspect it will be the former.

Cheers,

Sorry about that should have realised they are the wrong scale. Just going through what l have, is the 1995 scheme with small 'ROYAL AIR FORCE' on the front fuselage and correct scale ! The decals are Airfix kit number 03026 so you may need to varnish them before using in case they break up. You can have those if you wish. 

Regards

Robert

Hi Colin,  

I should have at least two unused sets of the Revell decals, maybe a couple of the older Airfix ones.  Drop me a PM if you are interested in them.

James 

I can confirm 2008 as the correct year of the change to the large white "Royal Air Force" titles on the fuselage sides vs the nose (the "fluttering flag" tail change came sometime later though).  I first saw the new scheme at Farnborough in 2008 then picked up Xtradecal's 2008 Hawk sheet when they were brand new (literally just back from the printer and still being packaged with instruction sheets at Lowestoft!)

Agree with previous suggestions that finding spares for the pre-2008 Revell or Airfix kit decals is probably your best approach, but if time or cost make this prohibitive you could also try printing the graphics you need on white decal film and painting the primary stripes (which may be easier and give better results anyway).  The badge appearing on the forward fuselage can be found online.

Edited by CT7567

• 2 weeks later...