Thunderstruck!Heller's golden oldie F-84.

stevej60

Hi folk's time for another oldie,I have a soft spot for the F-84 just finished a pair of Airfix kits and while doing the rounds on E-bay saw this bigger kit for £10

took a punt and got it.All present and correct from a seller I often buy from the decals are showing their age but a few days on the windowsill should bleach

out the white serials which were the only concern,at present I'm thinking the Belgian scheme.

IMG-20221128-WA0000

Here's the Airfix pair.

20221106_191700

20221105_123651

• Like 11

1 minute ago, mike c said:

Not bad for a tenner, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Thank's Mike there's still a good few bargains out there on E-Bay bay does help when you like these oldies as a lot of folk won't touch them especially if new tools are out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have  a soft spot for the  F-84 after seeing one in a green and white (?) scheme at the Portsmouth IPMS branch, shortly after I joined back in 1972. I think I may have an old Heller 72nd kit somewhere in my stash. You never know, with the addition of a Model Art decal sheet, I may even build it.

I liked Heller kits although some had raised panel lines, they looked crisp.

A nice find for a tenner, I'll follow with interest.

Colin

• Like 1

On 30/11/2022 at 17:22, stevej60 said:

does help when you like these oldies as a lot of folk won't touch them especially if new tools are out there

So right, Steve, and these old Heller 1.48 kits are a great example. I picked up the RF84 Thunderflash version at a model show for peanuts this year, and it looks good in the box. 

Everybody wants the latest bling but there's a lot of fun to be had and modelling to be done on these ol beauties. 

Look forward to seeing how you get on 👍

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 09:27, Biggles87 said:

You’ve made a good start there.

I still have a Monogram F84 somewhere and also a Heller 1/48 Thunderflash.

John. 🇺🇦

Thanks John she's under a coat of primer now looking forward to getting the final colours on.

20221213_180722

• Like 2

Evening folk's,progressing well with this project the main colours are on sprayed the upper and lower gray's brushed the green.the tail area and wingtip's are red and white stripes which

no decals are supplied so the white has been sprayed as you can see.The nose is striped in the colours of the Belgian flag so with this in mind I also sprayed that area and it's got the first 

coat of yellow has been done now.

20221215_185321

• Like 2

Hi folk's,after the Hasegawa decals self destructed on the F-16 I thought no use wasting time on this one if Heller let me down too but despite their

age so far so good!

20221217_184235 (1)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

but despite their

age so far so good!

I don't think I've ever been let down by a sheet of Heller's. However old. 

I guess there might be a first time but so far so good. And likewise for your sheet 👍

Looking smart 

• Like 1