Which British prototype would you like to see produced?

John R

I have been in contact with someone who produces exquisite resin models in1/72 scale.

He would like to produce a model, possibly more than one, from the aircraft which appeared in Barrie Hygate's book Bitish Experimental Jet Aircraft.

Which one would you like to see produced? My first preference would be a Supermarine 535.

For those who haven't got or seen the book these are the a/c featured

p?i=c3d89e2394dbe995359adfb977c11e2c

John

• Like 1

Supermarine 535 is fairly easily done from a combination of an Attacker and Swift

Avro 730 is available from Lost British Projects (3D printed in resin on request)

Supermarine 545 can still be found by Project-X/Maintrack/Whirlybird

Supermarine 553 was done by Sharkit - no idea on the quality as I've never seen it but other Sharkits productions vary in quality!

Sperrin and Ashton were done by Magna and are pretty good. Combat Models are doing the Ashton for release next year, hopefully the Sperrin will follow

The Vulcan straight leading edge would make a very nice conversion and would save a lot of work

I'm not trying to put anyone off producing a new kit but it never hurts to be aware of what else is or has been available that could be seen as competition or a benchmark to improve on

Three that have never been done - Hunting 126, Short SB4 Sherpa and Vickers V1000 (not in Barrie Hygate's book) for me please! Although the first two I can scratchbuild easily enough.

Steve

• Like 2

I agree but either would need a substantial investment to produce and with Combat Models definitely doing the Ashton next year and very likely to do the Sperrin, I would recommend testing the water with something smaller at least at first. The only way to make a small fortune from producing resin kits is to start out with a large fortune!

Steve

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, David Womby said:

Supermarine 545

This is also what I'd be very interested in.

44 minutes ago, BritJet said:

Supermarine 545 can still be founnd by Project-X/Maintrack/Whirlybird

Resin is much easier to work with than vacform. Also, didn't Whirlybird go out of business? Quite aside from which, it was never, in fact, terribly easy to buy anything from them.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

Armstrong Whitworth AW.52....just an incredibly beautiful aeroplane (IMHO).

Mikro-Mir do that one injection moulded.

One I would like to see is the Supermarine 508. I know that Maintrack did one but as others say, unobtainable in practice.

Britjet quoted the much missed Maintrack range but as far as my experiences go, they are pretty much unobtainable now, the Supermarine 535 and Gloster G.42 Gormless being mega-unobtainable. I missed out on one of the latter a year or two back which went for over £100 which is a lot for a vacform kit.

Olimp Pro-resin did make a good start on the ex Maintrack range, converting them to resin kits but I think they are currently in hiatus, at least, I’ve not seen anything new for quite some time. They had the Gloster G.42 listed as a future project but there you go, darn it.

For me, any of those Maintrack kits would be smashing apart from doubling up on those now done by others since.

Cheers. Nige

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, viscount806x said:

they are pretty much unobtainable now,

Whirlybird was doing most of them with a few extra added resin improvements up until earlier this year, don't know what's happened to their stuff now as they were supposed to be shutting up shop.