Airfix 1/72 Sopwith 2F1 Camel 1918 - kit 00075 ++dnf++

Jinxman

This one has a bit of rigging, so it should keep @JOCKNEY happy if nothing else. Another kit started by the eldest lad a long time ago, and when I told him last night it was back on the bench he could only ask, "Why?" I think it comes from moulds that produced a kit back in 1957. I might have to try a bit of dis-assembly, as there is something not aligned, but the tube glue used doesn't look like it will give up its hold easily. We do have decals though.

52533317511_9fca5fda01_c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, drdjp11 said:

Yep, looks like 1957 - same vintage as my DH 88 Comets...

The weird "centre your own roundels" decals must be newer, though?

Must be, they look very good. I'm leaning towards an Estonian Camel though - just need to trawl for some pics.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

I'm sure it'll behave itself now though. 😂

All the other builds on the shelf of doom are quaking in fear. I feel a bit like King Kong treating the poor fella to that treatment though. 🤔

• Haha 6

• 1 month later...

We've had a quiet week in deepest Pembrokeshire, and I managed to do a little fettling on the Camel. The wings are commendably thin, and some of the rib detail has been softened down. Various mould marks have been removed, though it's not too bad for a moulding originating in 1957. The fuselage halves have been seperated, so that a shim can be added - it was looking a little under-nourished to my eyes. Also managed to dismantle the cowl/engine/prop - not sure what to do with those, and it may depend on what is in the spares box. 

52630948667_fe78805c09_c.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more done - the wings are looking a lot neater - still some tidying to do and then get some detail on them. The spares box has come up with a decent propellor, and some ok wheels/tyres that will look better with a little bit of fettling than the kit items. I also decided to knock up a new cowl - the nose on the kit isn't bulky enough, so it needs more shim work, and the kit cowl wasn't deep enough in any case. The engine is being reworked as the cylinders were goosed during removal from the cowl.

52654161064_70403b89b4_c.jpg

• Like 4

Hi,

this is an impressive bit of scratch building on such a minute kit!

Micro-surgery in all its splendor...

... And 1957-era modelling. 

Great show.

JR

• Thanks 1

• Jinxman changed the title to Airfix 1/72 Sopwith 2F1 Camel 1918 - kit 00075 ++dnf++