BL Mini Clubman transkit

malpaso

Hi all,

Anyone seen this, which I stumbled across on Scalemates? 

Plusalfa 1275GT

Could be a way of using up Fujimis if the Hasegawa becomes the kit for mk3s on?  I only had a 1098 Clubman so I would have to squint if I were trying to replicate my second car.

Possibly a small producer in Japan, so whether this range of products will reach the UK is a good question.

• Like 1

Cool. I want one! No idea of the price or where to get one though? Gurgle just comes up with the scalemates entry.

There used to be a resin clubbie shell (maybe transkit) listed on ebay from a pproducer in Portugal IIRC. Not seen that for many years though.

Keith

Hey Keith, really surprised to see you in this thread!!😉

Try this link, https://plusalfaromeo-amebaownd-com.translate.goog/posts/34558373?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Let me know if you get  any further with your quest for the hioly grail.

Edited by mbdesignart
new link added
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mbdesignart said:

Hey Keith, really surprised to see you in this thread!!

🤣

Tried the link Mark and there's a few things that suggest I won't be able to get one from there - mainly "Japan only" but also "For top level users" - the latter obviously puts me out!!

Seriously though they refer you to a store called Kidbox (luckily there was a link as I wouldn't fancy googling that!!) and I couldn't see that they offer international shipping.

So I'll just have to hope that a manufacturer closer to home that does really good transkits and accessories might produce one....!! :)

Keith

• Like 1

With google search I get a yahoo page with tab 'overseas customers, click to buy' for 3680 yen (NZ$ 77.84).  I might have to buy as this was the version of Mini I owned back in the day

Edited by dcrfan

24 minutes ago, klubman01 said:

The transkit looks very good. 

Although this in the description puts me off a bit;

"Since 3D printing is modeled by lamination, the lamination level difference like contour lines will appear on the surface. If you are concerned about it, apply a sponge file (about 320) and treat it with a coarse surfacer."

I've built a couple of 3D printed kits with such layers and tbh it was a right pain filling, sanding and priming a goodly number of times to get an acceptable finish. And those kits didn't need to be stuck onto a perfectly smooth plastic kit body, so the transkit's surface finish will need to be equally smooth. I know next to nothing about 3D printing but thought the better, higher resolution printers now don't show laminations in their prints?

And the wheels and tyres would be no use to me, ours runs on 13 inch 100+ or Minilite wheels. So I'm thinking I'll likely pass on this one.

Keith

11 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

And the wheels and tyres would be no use to me, ours runs on 13 inch 100+ or Minilite wheels. So I'm thinking I'll likely pass on this one.

Keith

My Clubman saloon runs on 12 inch Minilites. 

I think I'll pass on the transkit, based on your description of the surface, etc.

Trevor

The more I've looked the more I wonder if it would be viable to scratchbuild a Clubman front end from styrene card. I'm not saying it would be a walk in the park, but the bonnet is largely flat and the wings are the same profile around the A-panel and arches. The grille detail might be the most difficult part but a flat sheet with wire surround should do it. Might not be easy but certainly not impossible...?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Anteater said:

Might not be easy but certainly not impossible...?

I've toyed with the idea for a while but not got round to trying anything yet. Main problem at the mo is clearing all the junk off the car in the garage so I can get some accurate measurements and photos of the front end.

Keith

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I've got a 1/32 Scalextric clubbie shell, needs all the chassis and interior scratchbuilding. Should get on with it!

Keith

Well I have a scalextric clubby chassis with an Airfix Cooper shell on it.  So if you could actually find the old Airfix it should provide all the bits!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Well I have a scalextric clubby chassis with an Airfix Cooper shell on it.  So if you could actually find the old Airfix it should provide all the bits!

That's a good idea - it would at least provide the basic chassis plate but all the rest will still need scratching as I want to build a replica of our 1:1 rally car which has nothing really standard inside. I do have the bucket seats and Minilites so that's a start...!! :)

I'll keep an eye out for an Airfix Min that won't need a mortgage to buy...!! 🤣

Keith

• Like 1

On 05/12/2022 at 10:05, Anteater said:

The more I've looked the more I wonder if it would be viable to scratchbuild a Clubman front end from styrene card. I'm not saying it would be a walk in the park, but the bonnet is largely flat and the wings are the same profile around the A-panel and arches. The grille detail might be the most difficult part but a flat sheet with wire surround should do it. Might not be easy but certainly not impossible...?

Due to the level of detail, 3D printing the grille would probably be the best option, however I agree that the rest of the panelwork looks doable.  A while back, I bought a resin Riley Elf transkit, but to be honest, I think I will be better off redoing all the grilles with 3D printed items as and when I get around to doing the CAD work rather than trying to repair / reshape the resin ones or remaking them manually.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but since Plusalfa doesn't want to share their wonderful 1275 GT with the rest of the world, maybe we should take matters into our own hands!

Is any body thinking what I'm thinking?

spacer.png

Hmmm, might work - if you succeed put my name down for one (or two!) please!

I can offer to send you pics and measurements of a real one but it'll take me a while to clear all the rubbish that's collected on and around it in the years its been stuck in the garage!

Keith

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Toftdale said:

It says it needs to Fujimi mini with the larger rear lights, so I'm fairly confident its 1/24. - Andy 

https://www.model-cars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=352

Not meaning any disrespect, and I may have the wrong supplier, but I think I have a few of their previous bodies and they are, well, pretty rough!

Apologies if I do have the wrong maker!

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Not meaning any disrespect, and I may have the wrong supplier, but I think I have a few of their previous bodies and they are, well, pretty rough!

Apologies if I do have the wrong maker!

Keith

Thats a shame, because some of their other stuff looked quite tempting, I'll just have to keep my pennies until the next shiny thing catches my eye - Andy 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Thats a shame, because some of their other stuff looked quite tempting, I'll just have to keep my pennies until the next shiny thing catches my eye - Andy 

As I said, I might be wrong with the maker Andy, and even if I'm not their stuff might have improved a lot since I bought the shells. The only way to find out if it would work for you is to buy one...!! :)

And despite the bodies I have being pretty rough they can be made to look good with some (or a lot) of TLC

I must admit I'm quite tempted by the Imp, but that would basically need everything scratchbuilding as I can't think of a suitable donor kit for things like the interior and clear parts etc.

As for the Mini I'm hoping a better one might come along one day...!! 

Keith

• Like 2

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

As I said, I might be wrong with the maker Andy, and even if I'm not their stuff might have improved a lot since I bought the shells. The only way to find out if it would work for you is to buy one...!! :)

And despite the bodies I have being pretty rough they can be made to look good with some (or a lot) of TLC

I must admit I'm quite tempted by the Imp, but that would basically need everything scratchbuilding as I can't think of a suitable donor kit for things like the interior and clear parts etc.

As for the Mini I'm hoping a better one might come along one day...!! 

Keith

Hi Keith, for some reason the Riley Elf appealed to me (no idea why), but not enough to spend hours on it.  Don't worry about putting me off it, it won't take long before I find another shiny thing to covet 😁 - Andy 

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to own a '66 1:1 scale Riley Elf for two years back in the day and loved it.  All the fun of a Mini, the performance of an early Cooper (998cc twin carbed), leather upholstery and full walnut dash.  Gorgeous little motor.

• Like 5