Lancaster Codes ?

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Quick question I recieved a free Tamiya Lancaster and a bit of Aftermarket from a mentor. The A/M decals that were in the box were made in 2000 by Albatross modelworks.

lZeeU2b.jpg

Their is a Lancaster that has blue/grey codes from 424 Squadron “City of Hamilton”.
XmYa4Uf.jpg

Sorry forgot to rotate the photo. 
SnDy91v.jpg

Im curious if this is legitimate or is it an oddball take on Med. Sea grey codes ? I thought all bombers wore red but a noob with this ? Any info would be helpful. My backup option would be the IQ*Q coded Lancaster

Dennis

Dennis,

Very early Lancasters did carry Medium Sea Grey codes (there are some 207 Sqn images showing this along with type A1 roundels etc.), however it would be very unlikely for a 1945 Land to be carrying them. From a very quick look at some images of QB-P thrown up by Google, I'd suggest that someone has mis-interpreted some of them as being grey codes instead of the specified dull red. Other angles with the light not directly on them appear to show they should indeed be red.

Sorry for not providing links, but this is a quick reply before heading off to work!

Mark.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Doolie said:

I think it is intended to be Medium Sea Grey, but I built Picadilly Princess with red codes. I'm afraid that I can't recall exactly how I came to that conclusion, though.

Thank you I agree myself after doing a bit of digging. 

1 hour ago, Harry Lime said:

Dennis,

Very early Lancasters did carry Medium Sea Grey codes (there are some 207 Sqn images showing this along with type A1 roundels etc.), however it would be very unlikely for a 1945 Land to be carrying them. From a very quick look at some images of QB-P thrown up by Google, I'd suggest that someone has mis-interpreted some of them as being grey codes instead of the specified dull red. Other angles with the light not directly on them appear to show they should indeed be red.

Sorry for not providing links, but this is a quick reply before heading off to work!

Mark.

No need Mark Ive seen the images myself, I agree the codes are red in the photo’s. Im thinking Either use my second option or buy the “Johnnie Walker” set from Kits-world. 

• Like 1

PM sent explaining the codes should be the standard RAF dull red & the original issue of that decal sheet was incorrect. I know that, at least in 1/72, Zotz revised the sheet with corrections to not only "Sugar's Blues" (they omitted the stbd nose art all-together), but to "Picadilly Princess" as well.  I was one half of the pair that alerted Zotz to the sheet's errors - at least when it came to the two featured RCAF aircraft. 

Scott

• Like 2