1/48 Meteor T.7 - Leuchars station flight

Spad

So near and yet so far.

Sadly, I am not going to be able to make the deadline peeps.....🤨

A combination of life pressures (boo!) and painting issues have conspired against me.

It started when I noticed an error in the paint pan on the Xtradecal sheet which positions the foremost black stripe too far forward. It would have you place the stripe so it bisects the nose gear bay - in itself not a huge issue but the trouble is that would mean black sections on the rear nose gear doors which, in reality, doesn't happen according to any pics that I can find of Leuchars T,7s. Call me pedantic but the stripe had to move rearwards. I then noticed that it was narrower than the others by about 3mm (1/8") so I masked yet again and widened the band. While at it, I added the yellow box under the wings for the serials and a box for the roundels which I noticed while studying pics for the stripes. Most of this is visible in this Air Britain pic of a very dilapidated WA725.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1738035

And this is the result of all of this masking and re-masking shenanigans! Compare with the pic a couple of posts above - I'm sure you will see the difference..

52656569262_bbab038d65_c.jpgIMG_0233 by Rick Smith, on Flickr

What a complete fustercluck!

Oh well, onwards and upwards.

Edited by Spad
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Despite all of the messing about with the TT stripes, I did manage to get the windscreen sorted by using the kit part. I added a piece of .010x .030 Evergreen strip to replicate the DV quarterlight in the left side panel after first dipping the part in Klear to try to protect it from glue fogging. Partially successful - we'll see when the masking comes off.

I also managed to get some coats of Xtracolor High Speed Silver onto the topside but this, dear friends, is where I ran out of time for this GB. I came to this GB a bit late, hot off the back of a couple of car builds that I finished in about 5 weeks total, in time for for the SIG display at SMW so thinking this might be a new "me". I have to admit to biting off a bit too much with this and an F.8 - the (not so?) latent OCD got the better of me in the end! 😄

Anyway, this is where I got to by the deadline:

52657502600_f0fa123b4d_c.jpgIMG_0225 by Rick Smith, on Flickr

I will continue to show progress as long as this thread is allowed to be added to and the finished article will eventually appear in the RFI section.

Until then, I would like to thank DENNIS, JOCKNEY, & Marklo for hosting this GB - much fun, many things learned about Meteors and some really excellent builds on here - well done all!

Until next time (when I might be a little less ambitious!)

Thanks for watching

ATB
Rick

• Like 6

You've made good progress so far, Rick. I'll look forward to seeing the finished article in the (hopefully) not too distant future

James

• Like 1

Thanks Corsairfoxfouruncle!

You betcha James (81-er!) This one is being finished in time for the Sculthorpe show on the 5th!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice work Rick

Lok forward to seeing it finished in due course. 

James 

Thanks James - so do I tbh😄

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 6:36 PM, Spad said:

You betcha James (81-er!) This one is being finished in time for the Sculthorpe show on the 5th!

Well, I managed it - here it is at Sculthorpe last Sunday.......sorry about the picture quality, not my shot

52679476129_9165947cda.jpgScreenshot 2023-02-05 Sculthorpe Heritage Centre by Rick Smith, on Flickr

Here's a slightly better shot with my phone - proper pixwill be in RFI later

52679512049_dbc3c7b1a5_c.jpgFinished article by Rick Smith, on Flickr

Spad  signing off

Over and out

Rick

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1