Inside the flimsy box the majority of the kit is fibre glass 

o4mpwrC8_o.jpg

With the rest injection moulded

N8Z03x59_o.jpg
kRe238NU_o.jpg

Should be fun.....

Steve

• Like 13

Always wanted to see a kit of this machine built Tu 144/Concorde with bombs! I would imagine it is going to be big old bird?

Pete

Edited by PeterB

This subject certainly comes with its own full measure of wow factor and the kit looks to have that in its own way as well. Good luck with this project as it'll make for an impressive model Steve.

On 30/11/2022 at 21:38, Mike N said:

Can't wait to see this built. The fibreglass would put me off, but it's a subject that appeals to me.

Mike 

Not much work needed on the fibreglass apart from two parts to be cut off, working with it is very similar to resin apart from the fluffy edges.

e95M1L5q_o.jpg
dMzVOYyx_o.jpg

The forward fuselage and cockpit parts assembled - none of the cockpit interior will be visible due to the small windows.

293w1WvS_o.jpg

The rear of the nose section, due to the design, doesn't have much strength so I've braced it with some sprue.

YP6R8r2C_o.jpg

Lots of parts to make up the intake structure.

FjzoBORG_o.jpg

I've also added some sprue to the main section to help support the forward fuselage.

IdR3UeOb_o.jpg

I see lots of filling and sanding on the horizon......

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 10

Cheers, I don't think there'll be any surprises building this one, everything looks straightforward.

Progress since last time, the intake structure joints filled and a bit of tweaking to improve the fit.

PDB8yMSM_o.jpg

A look inside the intake cavity, I think I'll have to add intake trunking to improve the view as the instructions just say to make some FOD covers to fill the holes.

e8ysv9BV_o.jpg

Trial fit of the major components - definitely filler to be required but I've built worse. It's suddenly got a lot bigger!

k7gLeW0L_o.jpg

Cockpit section with the droop nose in the lowered position, the indentation is the location for the nose in the raised position so I'll fill that as the nose will be fixed down.

cJCrhxu3_o.jpg

Injection moulded tail cone, leading and trailing edge parts added and a smear of filler over the joints.

XAnX4TQg_o.jpg

Sprue strengtheners angled, shaped and shimmed to help to get a good joint with the nose section.

jeQa9M2C_o.jpg

I'm going to get the filler sanded down before adding the nose section so the model is easier to handle. Also it's my least favourite part of modelling so doing as small a section at a time is better for keeping my focus.....

Steve

• Like 9

Nice work on the Sotka! I have the later version of this kit with more of the fuselage in plastic. Yours will look quite interesting in an overall titanium finish. That fibreglass/resin is interesting stuff to work with. It's quite different from polyurethane resin in terms of its hardness. I can see why Amonster/Amodel use it for their large kits.

Best Regards,

Jason

14 hours ago, BritJet said:

Cockpit section with the droop nose in the lowered position, the indentation is the location for the nose in the raised position so I'll fill that as the nose will be fixed down.

I made the nose detachable so it could be displayed in both raised and lowered positions, the kit allows it. 

PICT0047.jpg PICT0048.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

On 07/12/2022 at 22:28, Col. said:

That is a big model! Nice progress again Steve.

It is pretty big and keeps getting bigger at the moment as I add more parts to it. 

On 08/12/2022 at 00:23, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking impressive, 

Oddly enough that wing & vertical looks like a B-58 ? 

Certainly does.

On 08/12/2022 at 02:16, Learstang said:

Nice work on the Sotka! I have the later version of this kit with more of the fuselage in plastic. Yours will look quite interesting in an overall titanium finish. That fibreglass/resin is interesting stuff to work with. It's quite different from polyurethane resin in terms of its hardness. I can see why Amonster/Amodel use it for their large kits.

Best Regards,

Jason

The model is very light for it's size which feels strange when picking it up, iIncredibly strong though which certainly helps. I've built a few of the Amonster kits and have worked with fibreglass many times and the only issue is remembering the difference in hardness with the plastic parts when rubbing down the filler, it's very easy to take too much off the softer plastic and nothing off the fibreglass.

On 08/12/2022 at 09:21, Pin said:

I made the nose detachable so it could be displayed in both raised and lowered positions, the kit allows it. 

PICT0047.jpg PICT0048.jpg

Very nicely done, I did think about having the nose movable but the kit's hinge looked a bit flimsy and I'd probably never move it anyway. It has a science fiction look to it with the nose up which I like, but also looks strange without any forward vision windows. I bet it was fun when taxying having such limited sideways vision!

Due to being so busy at work recently and having flu all over the Christmas break I've got a few updates to post on this.

The last of the major sub-assemblies ready to be attached. I extended the intakes to give more depth.

u3mqHN1z_o.jpg

Filler on the upper parts all rubbed down

T56IEqqU_o.jpg

Same for the lower surfaces

VdF1k3oA_o.jpg

After adding the intake structure, forward fuselage and fin there is a bit more filling and sanding to do. I've added a strip of brass to the forward fuselage which will engage in the drooping nose section so there is plenty of contact area for the glue to bond to.

d7OgwoSH_o.jpg

The brass strip engages in the open ended boxed in section seen inside the nose. There are two protrusions on the inside which engage depressions on the cockpit section to get the correct position.

Fumq7EWO_o.jpg

The nose temporarily in place, I'll get everything painted before this is fixed as it helps keep the size down a bit at the moment.

w5R6gkFh_o.jpg

Next setp will be some primer.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 10

Very nice work! I do look forward to seeing this one done. Are you going for a new look, or the way it now looks at Monino? That weathered titanium has an interesting look.

Best Regards,

Jason

18 hours ago, Learstang said:

Very nice work! I do look forward to seeing this one done. Are you going for a new look, or the way it now looks at Monino? That weathered titanium has an interesting look.

Best Regards,

Jason

The model will be far shinier than the real thing looks at Monino although it doesn't look as dull when the sun shines on it. Also I don't think I'd have the time to try and make it look that way.

More progress after a quick prime and some areas filled again.

EjfHPAD9_o.jpg
ySPaGvm2_o.jpg

After a quick sanding session and re-prime I got the gloss black on ready for the Alclad shades.

zfcfSJNv_o.jpg

Getting close to the finish line now.

Steve

• Like 5

That's the right call on the titanium. Doing the weathered finish would be like trying to recreate what looks like an exhaust-burned metal finish for an entire model. I do wish you could keep it in the black though - that does look sinister!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

My thinking was that as it looks different in every photo due to the lighting it would be difficult to 'get it right'. I'm basing the paint job mostly on a couple of overhead photos at Monino as well as the very few that seem to have been taken when it was flying.

I feel exactly the same way about the black everytime I use Alclad, I need to post some photos of my Valiant B2 when I get around to starting my Yearbook topic, that really does look sinister compared to a white one!

Anyway, it looks like this now....

rRfd7sqV_o.jpg
5gyDMrEJ_o.jpg

Once the decals are on I'll tone the shine down a bit.

Steve

• Like 10