Sukhoi Su-22UM3K, Polish Air Force, 1:72 Modelsvit

On 30/11/2022 at 00:18, Navy Bird said:

Wasn't Lockheed Martin a partner with KAI in the development of the FA-50? There could be quite a bit of F-16 DNA inside.

Yes, it was Lockheed Martin and yes - there`s a lot of F-16 DNA in FA-50. 😎 Polish AF already has 36 F-16C/D Block 52+ and this is probably one of the reasons why the FA-50 was chosen for a quick purchase. However, there is no doubt that the task of replacing MiG-29s and Su-22s will rest mainly on the ordered 32 F-35s, but Poland will get these only in a few years (the start of deliveries is 2024-2025). The FA-50PL should be compatible with both the F-16 and F-35, at least according to the PAF command.

Su-22s are basically of no greater combat value, but Polish pilots must fly and practice on something. 😉

OK, end of offtopic. Now a few words about Modelsvit kit itself. This is certainly the best kit of Su-22 in 1:72 scale so far, although it's definitely not perfect. It's a short-run with a fairly good fit and very good detailing (esp. cockpit and wheel bays), but the panel lines are often not very sharp and the minor details are poorly cast. The construction of the kit is complicated and I would not recommend it to inexperienced modellers. At the same time, its price of the kit is quite high (over £30), so that's probably why we don't see a Fitter model built from this kit very often. The newer models of Modelsvit that I have already built (Mirage IIIEA and Mirage 2000) are much better, which shows the progress of this small Ukrainian company.

PS: Thank you for your kind comments!

• Like 3

That is an exceptionally well finished Su-22. I've got one of these Modelsvit kits & the kit looks really nice. Still un built waiting for the Model Maker Tiger Meet decals for it! If they decide not to do it I might build it in a similar scheme.

That's news to me about those KAI FA-50's, but sort of makes sense. Surprised that they'll have those & the F-16's.

Martin 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/1/2022 at 5:55 PM, alex_stela said:

OK, end of offtopic. Now a few words about Modelsvit kit itself. This is certainly the best kit of Su-22 in 1:72 scale so far, although it's definitely not perfect. It's a short-run with a fairly good fit and very good detailing (esp. cockpit and wheel bays), but the panel lines are often not very sharp and the minor details are poorly cast. The construction of the kit is complicated and I would not recommend it to inexperienced modellers. At the same time, its price of the kit is quite high (over £30), so that's probably why we don't see a Fitter model built from this kit very often.

I have this Modelsvit kit (still in the box) somewhere in the stash.

But seeing your result, I think it will be a shame to show mine on BM.

Maybe I'd better start digging the garden?

Congrats 👏

On 12/5/2022 at 12:29 AM, Lightningboy2000 said:

That's news to me about those KAI FA-50's, but sort of makes sense. Surprised that they'll have those & the F-16's.

We would certainly prefer to have another 48 F-16 instead of the FA-50, but time is unsettled and we have to wait 5 years for the new F-16 - in 2028 we will already have the F-35. Fulcrums and Fitters will run out of their service life much sooner, and only KAI has offered delivery within 24 months.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Thanks 1