Ju-88 A-4 KG 54 aircraft B3 + LR

dov

Hi

Now my 5th Ju-88 is ready. The second from ICM. Before that it was Dragon and Revell.

Regarding the kit:

Relatively large compromises have to be made in terms of accuracy compared to the origin.

This primarily affects the cockpit, with the flat floor instead of the massive height offset.

This is linked to a few details in the cockpit that made me shake my head.

The additional control stick in position, the additional control stick, which was intended for the bombardier, is only installed when approaching the target, otherwise it is fixed to the right side wall.

The device for storing the boarding ladder on the rear bulkhead under the radio equipment is missing!

The A-4 variant is missing all ammo boxes. The ammunition feed and the sleeve hoses are also missing.

Therefore I did not install the weapons. What is still missing is the large bulkhead on the large cockpit hood, not even Eduard has it with him.

General:

The injection molded parts just don't fit well. Some parts are warped, the wing connections have a tolerance problem with the pins and holes.

They're really annoying. Many gluing areas are beveled, so that in the end there is an gluing line instead of an gluing area.

So it will loosen easily! When installing the engine nacelles, the designer obviously neglected some of the geometry.

The front tenons of the inside and outside nacelle would have to be chamfered so that a reasonable prefabrication of the assembly group is possible.

The quality:

Of the injection molded parts themselves can best be observed with small parts.

There is hardly an antenna or pitot tube that does not break.

Brittleness is present in smal long thin parts.

Some components have so much internal stress that maximum force is required to join them.

Classic example is the great pulpit.

The nose pulpit has a typical tolerance problem.

Tongues on upper part reach too far down left and right for lack of fit.

Rework required. Especially on a fuselage front part, which consists of three or four parts, a complete fitting test beforehand is hardly possible.

About the model: This A-4 has an interesting paint job that deviates from the norm.

The aircraft is from KG 54 Totenkopf.

Operative in Brindisi in Italy around 1943.

I will make the aircraft from KG 54 Totenkopf.

Brindisi is in the middle of the heel of the Italian boot at the eastern coast.

In this area there occurred one of the biggest environmental pollutions.

Here is the link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_John_Harvey 

By the way, the scribbling I used a pen. First time. Acrylic empty pen from Montana.

My WIP:

Well, so have a look on the model now:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Happy modelling

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

It sounds like this kit fought you, but you persevered and completed it to a really high level.  I have done this camo scheme before on a 1/48 Revell version and there is no easy way to accomplish it.  I've seen it done free hand; the scribbling color laid down first and then fine, skinny taping before the base color is painted and then the version where blue tack is rolled out into very small snakes and put into place.  No method is easy.  So between the assembly of the kit and the difficult paint scheme, you have come up with a winner.  It looks great.  Thanks for sharing.

I love an 88!!

Got one in the stash

Not sure how to approach the camo but the pen work looks fantastic and I'm ging to look more into that option for sure

Thanks for posting

Congratulations on a great build

😎

@Winenut, if you use the acrylic pens, use the color as you use the airbrush.

Not more not less. Have some painted scratch, for trying.

And making breaks to reestablish operating lines again.

Montana empty pens are available worldwide.

Happy modelling

• Like 1

I've been considering acrylic pens for just such a subject (though one of the blue ones in 1/72) so found this interesting.  It certainly seems easier than doing it by paint brush, as I've done in the past.   I would be helpful to me if you'd add which size of ink pen you've used, and which paint.  I gather that at least some of these pens are sensitive to the pigment size.

At your disposal @Graham Boak, the pen size was 0,7mm. I had just the choice with 2mm, which I had at home.

If I had to do it again, I would use 1mm which I got in meantime.

Today I have 0.7mm , 1.0 mm , and 2.0 mm at home.

Some nightfighter woulkd need the 2mm one. I have a cone end to write.

There are flat ends also available.

This is to my opinion critical in the curve or at the nacelle or fuselage fillet. 

I hope you are satisfied. Or any more question?

Happy modelling

• Like 1

Thanks for the help.  I have the choice of buying 0.7, 1 and 2mm, with the 1mm described as "extra fine".  As I am going to be working in 1/72, I suspect that the 0.7mm is the best, perhaps the 1mm.  As you suggest, the 0.7mm was perhaps a little thin for 1/48, but may be better suited for the smaller scale.

I presume that you use water-based acrylics, do you have a recommendation?  I don't have either 76 or black in acrylics, and as I'm much happier with enamels the ideal use of acrylics is still confusing.

• Like 1

On 29/11/2022 at 14:50, dov said:

Hi

Now my 5th Ju-88 is ready. The second from ICM. Before that it was Dragon and Revell.

Regarding the kit:

Relatively large compromises have to be made in terms of accuracy compared to the origin.

This primarily affects the cockpit, with the flat floor instead of the massive height offset.

This is linked to a few details in the cockpit that made me shake my head.

The additional control stick in position, the additional control stick, which was intended for the bombardier, is only installed when approaching the target, otherwise it is fixed to the right side wall.

The device for storing the boarding ladder on the rear bulkhead under the radio equipment is missing!

The A-4 variant is missing all ammo boxes. The ammunition feed and the sleeve hoses are also missing.

Therefore I did not install the weapons. What is still missing is the large bulkhead on the large cockpit hood, not even Eduard has it with him.

General:

The injection molded parts just don't fit well. Some parts are warped, the wing connections have a tolerance problem with the pins and holes.

They're really annoying. Many gluing areas are beveled, so that in the end there is an gluing line instead of an gluing area.

So it will loosen easily! When installing the engine nacelles, the designer obviously neglected some of the geometry.

The front tenons of the inside and outside nacelle would have to be chamfered so that a reasonable prefabrication of the assembly group is possible.

The quality:

Of the injection molded parts themselves can best be observed with small parts.

There is hardly an antenna or pitot tube that does not break.

Brittleness is present in smal long thin parts.

Some components have so much internal stress that maximum force is required to join them.

Classic example is the great pulpit.

The nose pulpit has a typical tolerance problem.

Tongues on upper part reach too far down left and right for lack of fit.

Rework required. Especially on a fuselage front part, which consists of three or four parts, a complete fitting test beforehand is hardly possible.

About the model: This A-4 has an interesting paint job that deviates from the norm.

The aircraft is from KG 54 Totenkopf.

I will make the aircraft from KG 54 Totenkopf.

Brindisi is in the middle of the heel of the Italian boot at the eastern coast.

In this area there occurred one of the biggest environmental pollutions.

Here is the link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_John_Harvey 

By the way, the scribbling I used a pen. First time. Acrylic empty pen from Montana.

My WIP:

Well, so have a look on the model now:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png