Revell 1/8 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

The Club recently had a small GB for the Nailsea Bugle Call show: 'Silver Screen'. I searched the stash and didn't have a 'dressed' Harley for 'Electra Glide in Blue' but had this kit which could make the bike Marianne Faithfull rode in 'Girl on a Motorcycle' from 1968. The silencer is incorrect for her bike but time pressure precluded making a replacement so it is what it is.

This is the 1974 kit boxing bought part built from that auction site many years ago, and it was covered in excess glue and had parts missing, but problems were overcome helped by the purchase of another incomplete kit. Problems included much of the plastic being a very brittle, tanslucent metallic red that snapped under any pressure. The frame has at least seven breaks that had to be pinned and repaired.

All kit 'chrome' was removed and repainted with various shades of Alclad, HR Hobbies (Mig A-Stand) and Vallejo Metal Color. Black is Zero Paints Lotus Black with their 2-pack Diamond Gloss, with the matt black panels on the tank from Mr Color. Wheels were respoked with Albion Alloys NiSi wire using brass tube for the spoke nipples and tyre valves. The seat is re-worked from the Revell Police Bike boxing of this kit. In the film the bike is French, hence the yellow front lights, and there were no indicators fitted.  Enough, here it is:

52531744623_bfccffa6f0_c.jpg

52531673920_28398482ec_c.jpg

52531200356_265de82ca1_c.jpg

52531673935_f75a8c6134_c.jpg

52531483114_36bf6050eb_c.jpg

52531673965_37057a2f2a_c.jpg

• Like 30

What a beautiful bike! The velvety black looks fantastic - very elegant. I got this kit for Christmas 1968 IIRC, molded in dark red plastic. My first bike (but later returned to aeroplanes). I had no idea that you could create such a beauty from this vintage product!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I remember going to see Electra glide in blue at the cinema decades ago!

I was disappointed with the ending, IIRC.

I stayed up late to watch it back in about '88, and felt the same about the ending. A bit like 'Vanishing Point'.

• Like 1