My draggin' Dragonfly (Hasegawa A-37)

danbuoy

Bought this kit off eBay in 2019. It was partly assembled already, so I thought it would be a nice quick kit (ha!). Got round to starting with it last year, then earlier this year I joined my first group build, then joined another straight after, and the Dragonfly was left to sit, neglected, just needing that final push to get it finished. Was hoping there would be a KUTA group build, to give me the incentive to get this done!

Here's the box;

52530771293_e53082d56e_z.jpg20221128_204245 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

And here is the state of play. Underside painted, undercarriage mostly painted, bombs and drop tanks half painted;

52530703895_78e94ce166_z.jpg20221128_204526 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

52530511709_1a0a2d3c22_z.jpg20221128_204543 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

All ready for one last shove to get it over the line!!

• Like 9

12 hours ago, danbuoy said:

All ready for one last shove to get it over the line!!

Oh boy, don't we all know this feeling.

JR

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, time to drag this kicking and screaming into 2023. I really don't know why I am finding this kit such a chore. Its a nice kit, its not large or complicated, it was bought already mostly assembled, but I just can't seem to find the motivation. Anyway, I got the first coat of the second camo colour on last night. Its starting to look like a Vietnam bird now!

52636231681_eb7bd4b438_z.jpg20230118_223454 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

• Like 5

Sometime the chemistry is all wrong, notwithstanding how great the kit is....

One must therefore suffer on the altar of modelling.

Oh what a lot of rubbish! If it is becoming not fun, bin it!!!!

JR

18 hours ago, jean said:

Sometime the chemistry is all wrong, notwithstanding how great the kit is....

One must therefore suffer on the altar of modelling.

Oh what a lot of rubbish! If it is becoming not fun, bin it!!!!

JR

I can't ever bring myself to bin a kit, unless it ends up going catastrophically wrong and beyond any form of recovery.

I'm the same with books, I will stick with it and finish it, even if it then gets given to a charity shop at the earliest opportunity afterwards!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, danbuoy said:

I can't ever bring myself to bin a kit, unless it ends up going catastrophically wrong and beyond any form of recovery.

I'm the same with books, I will stick with it and finish it, even if it then gets given to a charity shop at the earliest opportunity afterwards!

I was playing the devil's advocate. I have never binned a kit either in my life... although I have been tempted  many a time.

They just go on my shelf of utter doom until I decide to try them again much later. And they usually build much better then.

Go figure.

Courage!

JR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I'm pleased to report there has been progress on the Dragonfly amongst all the shipbuilding. Canopy and decals are now on. The starboard fuselage star and bar unfortunately got slightly damaged in the process of placing it. It's not terrible but I would like to eventually replace it if I can find one of a similar size.

20230310_225734

Just need to attach the undercarriage and doors, and the ordnance and that should be that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

She looks very nice! I think I must move slowly into the post-WW2 era too... haven't painted anything in that SEA scheme since :hmmm:1986

I've got 3 more things in my stash to be painted in SEA camo; an HH-53, an AC-47 and a B-57G so it was good to get a bit of practice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

It's very lovely, worth there wait for those of us in the viewing gallery, whatever trauma it caused you along the way.

Thanks. The kit is alright generally, just some bits were fiddly to fit, such as the ordnance and the front undercarriage doors. There were more decals than I was expecting too, for such a small kit.