1915 CUIRASSE AUBRIOT-GABET

I like rare pieces of technology. I want to build a model of an unusual French car.
The 1915 CUIRASSE AUBRIOT-GABET project was based on a Filtz tractor chassis powered  by an electric motor. The power supply is via a cable that runs the machine and as it progresses.  The craft is armed with a 37mm cannon in turret and served by two men. The vulnerability of the  system obviously causes the abandonment of the project.

Information taken from here -https://bloodofkittens.com/wargaminghub/2017/05/02/scratchbuild-log-part-1-1915-curiasse-fortin-aubriot-gabet/

http://www.puttyandpaint.com/projects/10770

• Like 5

Volodymyr,

What an interesting subject.  I have been collecting whatever bits of information I can find on this interesting mobile fortress. 

I have seen the two online builds in your links and found what I think is the original picture from which the more common online picture is taken from and is titled Blockhaus électrique blindé Gabet.  It is an interesting image as it has two gentlemen standing off the right side and provide some scale for the vehicle. I have found no other pictures of this vehicle.

Figuring out the actual dimensions of the vehicle has been confusing as there are several different values given on different web sites, more on that in a bit.

https://imagesdefense.gouv.fr/fr/3019800.html

Hubert Chance created a 4 view drawing titled Fortin Cuirasse of this vehicle from which it seems like most other drawings found online are based.  You may have likely already Mr. Chance's drawing.

After studying the photo found in the imagesdefence.gouv.fr link and comparing to the drawings and those two online builds it seems to me that top of the vehicle is more rounded than presented in either of these builds or in Mr. Chances drawings. 

Also,  I think the main armament was the 37mm L23 Hotchkiss rapid firing gun.  In 1/35 scale the barrel would be approximately 24mm in length part of which would be inside the vehicle.

As well, I found a reference to Filtz tractors having wheel diameter of 80cm and  in 1/35 scale that would be approximately 23mm.

And, I also stumbled across some details on something called the Gruson Fahrbare Panzerlafette or  Fahrpanzer  https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/gruson-fahrbare-panzerlafette-fahrpanzer/  amongst other references.  In fact, there is quite a bit of information easily found on these vehicles.  Similar in design and concept to the Cuirasse Aubriot Gabet, I wonder if these provided some of the inspiration for the design of the French vehicle.

Looking forward to see how your build develops.

cheers, Graham

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The missile attack was repulsed, electricity and the Internet were turned on. You can start building.
Colleagues, thank you for your interest in this topic!
I made the wheels and the body frame. Material - polystyrene 0.5 - 2 mm.

p?i=d5190e40687640e2510f7f98697051af

p?i=bbefbdbdbfc298bae7aeff3e6ef27ee0

• Like 12

Graham!
I don't know the size of this car.
First, I loaded the photo into CorelDREW and drew on it. I think that a person 175 cm tall should be in the tower and control the gun. My wheel diameter is 27mm.
Tomorrow I will finish and publish my drawings.

• Like 3

Volodymyr,

That looks like  a good start.

Scratchbuilding unusual subjects is always a challenge, especially those from over one hundred years ago for which there are few references. Your method of arriving at wheel diameter of 27mm is as valid as any other. 

Firing off a 37mm gun in such a confined space must have been very noisy and dirty. 

cheers, Graham

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

good day Volodymyr,

I am pleased to see that you are still working on this. I was just thinking the other day that we had not seen an update on your build in some time. 

All of the bits and pieces are starting to come together and looking like they should.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

Thank you Graham!
Unfortunately, I won't be able to finish the work on time☹️. I was very lazy, and the model was not hard work😳.
I plan to make a stand and an officer figurine.

• Sad 1

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men,  gang aft a-gley.  ( from a Robert Burns poem - To a Mouse in case you are unfamiliar with reference )

or the best laid plans of mice often go awry in more modern English.  Other cultures must have similar sayings. I don't know of any and Google is not of much help only providing translations of the original into other languages. 

I also had the idea of a small vignette and figure when I get around to making my version of this vehicle. I have this figure in mind. https://modelcellar.com/shop/time-period/wwi/wwi-french-tanker/

Maybe not the most accurate for this particular subject but to me it really looks the part.

Maybe not done for the group build but I look forward to seeing it "Ready for Inspection".

cheers, Graham

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men,  gang aft a-gley. 

We say - "If you want to make God laugh - tell him your plans".

AdrianMF , Stef N. - thanks for the support!
Installed all the rivets on the body.

p?i=9eadb7516a9774b16ba388fb124ac121

p?i=f827fa8130b3eb764b207ca3d051b7e0

p?i=d0f51330d569d25d69fcc2ab37c7e29b

• Like 3