Were Panzer IV Ausf D's around after 1943?

flyinghorse

Sorry for a repeat question, but were these stubby, short barreled old workhorses around after 1943? I only ask because I've got a Tamiya Panzer IV Ausf. D on my workbench and wish to explore different markings for late-WW2 tanks. After seeing a few pictures of late war German armor, I couldn't believe what I saw, from Panzer III's to captured French H39's well into 1944-45. Anything relating to Panzer IV Ausf D's though? For some reason I am struggling to find specific info on this particular variant after 1943. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/11/2022 at 10:36, SleeperService said:

They were around. At least one was operating in Normandy around D-Day. It was likely part of 21st Panzer Division.

spacer.png

There was certainly at least one Ausf C in the area. I'll try and hunt down the Ausf D photo too.

In the meanwhile THIS and THIS may help you.

This particular one is Ausf.B or C but I believe 21st Pz.Div had some other short-barreled Panzer IV's there as well.

• 2 weeks later...

'Panzers in Normandy - Then and Now' by After the Battle publications has a pic of a wrecked Panzer IVD in Normandy, but although it still has the short 75mm gin it has been refitted with the wider wheels and tracks that came in from the Panzer IVF onwards, so modelling would be tricky! 

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2022 at 7:40 PM, Hepster said:

'Panzers in Normandy - Then and Now' by After the Battle publications has a pic of a wrecked Panzer IVD in Normandy, but although it still has the short 75mm gin it has been refitted with the wider wheels and tracks that came in from the Panzer IVF onwards, so modelling would be tricky! 

Thanks for finding that my copy has gone missing.